VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all, I was hoping you guys could figure out if this is normal or what but I am running windows 98 SE on a Sony Viao PCX-RX550.
Specs :
CPU : Intel Pentium 4 1.6 ghz
RAM : 512 mb
Sound : PCI Soundblaster Live! SB0200
Graphics : PCI Nvidia Geforce TNT2

When I use it normally to do things like run games or MS Office 97 it works perfectly, it boots quickly and shuts down even faster.
However when I run two things simultaneously it slows to a crawl. This can be anything, unzipping files and having Excel 97 open even.
Also my sound stutters a bit when the computer starts up, any advice?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 5, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See if your HDD has DMA enabled.
Google it and it should be pretty easy to find instructions on how to do so!

Reply 2 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have the swap file enabled? I'm not sure why it would be disabled, but that would definitely slow Windows down during multitasking. (Even with 512 MB, I think Windows might still try to use the swap file.)

Also, have you installed any patches or unofficial service packs?

Reply 3 of 5, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I think it was what the first guy said. I checked the DMA on the HDD and it was disabled so I enabled it and restarted the computer and no sound stuttering. So far multitasking seems to be normal now. So problem fixed I think.
As to the service packs I think I applied the official one but that was it. Also if I were to check the swap file how would I go about that?

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

As to the service packs I think I applied the official one but that was it.

There is no official service pack for Windows 98 SE.

Also if I were to check the swap file how would I go about that?

It's in the System control panel somewhere, probably under a Virtual Memory setting. (Opinions seem to differ as to how large it should be, but on a Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM, I don't think the specifics will make much of a difference.)

Reply 5 of 5, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool. Sorry I couldn't remember if I had updated so I guess that means I have not then. 🤣
Thanks for the info I'll take a gander at it but everything seems fine now so no worries. 😁