VOGONS

Common searches

Minimal install for DOSBox/95 gaming

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 101, by Inuya5ha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to try the manual guide from the first post, but what is the recommended Windows 95 version to use?

BTW, will DirectX6 work correctly in Age of Empires 2? I have installed Windows 98 with DirectX 8.0a, but there are certain graphic bugs. Only after installing DX9.0c the errors where fixed, but that version uses more than 60 MB.

Also, the guide in the first post was not updated since its creation date.. if improvements have been made, can someone please update the first post? Or at least implement the List tags for the steps, to make it more elegant? 😀

Reply 82 of 101, by Inuya5ha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

No version of Windows 9X is recommended for DOSBox. You are purely doing so at your own risk.

I'm aware of that, let me rephrase my question in case it wasn't clear enough.

The topic creator mentions a "95 retail CD", what version is that Windows 95 retail CD exactly? And I do know I'm asking this at my own risk, the topic creator posted the topic at his own risk, and so on. 😒

Reply 89 of 101, by beerbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's a good standard install guide here:
http://dosbox95.dyndns.org

Would Virtual Clonedrive solve some problems like cdemu blacklists or securom type emulation? Also does Gravis Ultrasound offer better sound compatibility or is it about equal to sb16 9x?

Thanks

Reply 90 of 101, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
beerbit wrote:

Would Virtual Clonedrive solve some problems like cdemu blacklists or securom type emulation?

Daemon Tools, at least, is known for its ability to circumvent some kinds of copy protection. I don't know about Virtual Clonedrive.

Also does Gravis Ultrasound offer better sound compatibility or is it about equal to sb16 9x?

I don't think anyone's ever mentioned trying to install Gravis drivers for Win9x in DOSBox. Maybe you should try it and find out. 😎

Reply 91 of 101, by beerbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gravis Classic + MAX 95/98 drivers. Unfortunately they don't support DirectSound so it's all crummy software emulated lag. 😉
http://sta.c64.org/winprg.html

Reinstalled Win95 original and got VBEMP (2014) to work! svga_s3 card installed. Then removed s3 display driver + monitor from device manager. Then add hardware -> manually -> video -> have disk -> XGA version. Now I get all the hires goodness.

And for those getting dxdiag sound test garble - don't use pentium_mmx. Pentium works okay. Maybe someone will find the MMX problem and we can start playing those games too (Eraser: Turnabout). 😁

Reply 94 of 101, by Jarvik7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Win95C has comctl32.dll version 4.70, so I would guess it's useful for more than just 1st edition.
I haven't run any updates against my install through I don't know if it's needed to this manual file switching.

Reply 95 of 101, by Jarvik7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
beerbit wrote:

And for those getting dxdiag sound test garble - don't use pentium_mmx. Pentium works okay. Maybe someone will find the MMX problem and we can start playing those games too (Eraser: Turnabout). 😁

I just confirmed that switching to pentium cpu fixes sound corruption in dxdiag. However, dxdiag still crashes the machine when I exit it.

Reply 96 of 101, by TheRealFreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jarvik7 wrote:

-Some of the audio tests in dxdiag are heavily distorted. All sound I've encountered in apps otherwise is fine. Maybe fixed with other SB16 drivers.

Using only DX5 solves these distortions (all 8 bit sound playback is affected and also games that use these, e.g. at least Fin Fin on Teo V1.5 and V3.5).
I've tried SB16 drivers (rev 14 and rev 16), but only DX5 solved this.
BTW, DX5 ships no dxdiag.exe, but the extracted files from DX6 works fine for DX5 too and does NOT crash when leaving dxdiag.exe used with DX5.

Jarvik7 wrote:

-IDE controller has a (!) in device manager - using compatibility mode. Can fix with drivers?

When I DISABLE (=false) the ide ports the exclamation mark is gone in the device manager (driver still visible), but I',m still stuck to compatibility mode 🙁

Jarvik7 wrote:

-Haven't actually tried out any games yet, as I'm at work.

I've tried Fin Fin on Teo V1.5 and V3.5 and Creatures 1.04 (all patches applied) successfully yet (max cpu cycle limiting is required for me to avoid ab16 stuttering, e.g. 32768)

For other drivers I used the latest s3 trio 32 driver from s3graphics.com (legacy archive) and the latest 3dfx voodoo driver (from "the guru of 3d"), all on windows 95c.
One day was unfortunately not enough for me yet:-(
Good luck!

TheRealFreak
I'm working for my dreams come true...

Reply 97 of 101, by Jarvik7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice to know that games work.

I've been in to other things lately (teaching myself OpenGL starting from 1.0 - worked up to 2.1 so far), but the steps for my Win95c install have changed a bit. Removing the spooler is no longer recommended as a lot of things won't start without it (even if they don't use it) - even pbrush. I think just having the spooler .drv, but not the full install, is enough though.

@TheRealFreak: Try directx6 with the cpu set to regular pentium (non-mmx) in some games. dxdiag has correct sound in that configuration but still crashes on exit. Hopefully it doesn't crash in games...

DirectX 8 also needs some testing. truth recommended against it but provided no hard examples. If it doesn't lower performance or stability, having the newest gfx api supported is a benefit I think.

Reply 98 of 101, by slimbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure where to post or if someone could help:

I have Win98SE dosbox install with 3dfx voodoo emu enabled.

Games run fine in software mode (half-life, tomb raider 2, blood 2) but performance is terrible when I select the 3dfx voodoo. games run between 10-15fps, is this normal or is my setup broken ? Shouldn't I get better performance with the voodoo emulation over software mode ?