VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed that DOSBox doesn't (yet) support these cards!

There are quite a few games with native support for PAS, which gives you Stereo FM in many games that are Mono only on a Sound Blaster.

The original 8 bit PAS used dual OPL2, just like the Sound Blaster Pro and the later PAS 16 uses an OPL3 just like most other cards.

Some games to test are PQ3 for the PAS and Space Quest 4 for the PAS 16.

Would be a nice feature, seeing we have support for Game Blaster as well...

Reply 2 of 34, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I didn't find much, but maybe this is a start?

I uploaded that file if anyone wants to have a crack at it. It will initialise differently, because selecting a PAS16 driver (Space Quest 4) will get you an error on a Sound Blaster Pro or 16.

Other games just say OPL3 (Descent) and those games work on the PAS16 and Sound Blaster Pro / 16.

Pro Audio Spectrum programming

pas-sdk.arj 431K Pro Audio Spectrum SDK

Source: http://www.dcee.net/Files/Programm/Sound/

Reason about my interest is because PAS cards are impossible to get. PAS16 are easy to find, but they aren't compatible to the old dual OPL2 cards.

And only with that PAS card can you have awesome Stereo FM sound in some of the early 90s games such as Police Quest 3 and others.

Attachments

• Filename
    pas-sdk.zip
    File size
    444.88 KiB
    Downloads
    955 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 34, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Yes this is a good start. For somebody who has the time...

Yea no worries.

I also have sample recordings and examples of good games to test.

Maybe one day. I'm patient and hopeful...

Reply 5 of 34, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just joined the forums to be able to post here, so hello everyone! I've been a regular idler on the DOSBox IRC on Freenode, and I checked VOGONS as a guest up until now. Now I have the ability to reply to this old and forgotten topic.

A couple days before I wanted to watch some videos on YouTube about Media Vision's Pro Audio Spectrum, but only found one video. Checked the description and saw that it was recorded with DOSBox but the sound is from the real hardware. Now wait a second! There's no support for that in DOSBox. I did a Google search and found this topic, read it and I support the idea. There's a bunch of MS-DOS games that support this hardware, but unfortunately it's still just a SoundBlaster clone, and the possibility to get the Pro Audio Spectrum emulated in DOSBox is nearly 0% unless some knowledgeable person programs the thing, and makes a patch for us. This could take a lot of time effort, and still it may not make it in the DOSBox mainline.

Saw that we need as much information as possible in order to start coding the emulator module for the project, and we only have so far an SDK. That may or may not be sufficient to finish the emulation module. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer, but I can differentiate a C/C++ and a ASM or Pascal source code. So my ability to code is absolutely zero! I know how to compile stuff though. However I'm got at finding information about stuff, so I thought I save some time for the person who is willing to write the stuff for us. I'm totally fine if nobody wants to do that, or it will never happen. It's just a wish of mine and Mau1wurf1977's, so please don't bash us.

Here are the stuff I found out about the Pro Audio Spectrum! Beware that there's a lot of stuff and I hope I can post everything in a single post and I don't have to split things up.

First things first is Wikipedia. Duh everybody can do that, here's the stuff anyway for those who are lazy to look it up. It's obvious that Media Vision went bankrupt, but it was somewhat successful and made some cheaper alternatives for Creative's SoundBlaster cards. They founded the company in 1990 and did business up until 1995is.

Here are the two most important links for Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Vision

Oldmv.jpg

Pro Audio Spectrum (1991): 8-bit ISA audio card with CD-ROM interface. Pro Audio Spectrum Plus: ISA audio card, 8-bit digital sa […]
Show full quote

Pro Audio Spectrum (1991): 8-bit ISA audio card with CD-ROM interface.
Pro Audio Spectrum Plus: ISA audio card, 8-bit digital sampling, 16-bit digital audio playback with CD-ROM interface, Sound Blaster compatibility.
Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (May 1992): 16-bit ISA card with CD-ROM interface, 16-bit stereo digital audio, stereo FM synthesis, Sound Blaster compatibility; based on the MVD101 chipset.
Thunder Board: low-cost 8-bit ISA Sound Blaster compatible sound.
Thunder and Lightning: VGA adapter with Sound Blaster compatible sound.
Pro Audio Studio 16: enhanced version of the Pro Audio Spectrum 16 sound card, bundled with voice-recognition software and a microphone.
Pro Audio 16 Basic: Stripped down version of Pro Audio Spectrum 16, without SCSI interface, the bundled voice recognition software and microphone; based on the MVD101 chipset.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Pro Sonic 16: Based on Media Vision's JAZZ 16 chipset (not compatible with the Pro Audio Spectrum line).
Pro 3-D: Based on Media Vision's JAZZ 16 chipset (not compatible with the Pro Audio Spectrum line), with built-in SRS surround sound, and KORG wavetable daughter board.

Interesting links from the same Wikipedia article which lists some more cards. Unfortunately there are some Chinese characters but nothing to worry about. It's just a nice list of cards that Media Vision made during the time.
http://www.yjfy.com/Hardware/video/MEDIAvision.htm
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Vision_Pro_AudioSpectrum

Mediavision_pas16.jpg
Pro AudioSpectrum 16 with SCSI CD-ROM interface

The Media Vision Pro AudioSpectrum (commonly referred to as "PAS") family of personal computer sound cards included the original 8-bit Pro AudioSpectrum (1991), the 8-bit Pro AudioSpectrum Plus, 16-bit Pro AudioSpectrum 16, Pro AudioSpectrum 16 Basic and 16-bit Pro Audio Studio. All PAS cards with the exception of Pro AudioSpectrum 16 Basic could connect to CD-ROM drives—variants having SCSI or various proprietary interfaces—and many were sold in multimedia kits with compatible CD-ROM drives.

Though the 8-bit Pro AudioSpectrum cards were only modestly successful, the 16 bit-series cards aimed toward semi-professional users and hobby musicians were quite popular. These gave serious competition to the SoundBlaster 16. Most games in the mid 1990s had genuine support for the PAS cards, thus the lack of Sound Blaster Pro and Sound Blaster 16 compatibility was not much of a problem.

Media Vision was the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of the Logitech SoundMan (also marketed as Pro AudioSpectrum 16 Basic) card, which was compatible with the PAS and could thus use the same drivers.

Digital and FM audio The 16-bit PAS cards employed a relabeled CODEC chip made by Crystal Semiconductors of Austin, Texas (now p […]
Show full quote

Digital and FM audio
The 16-bit PAS cards employed a relabeled CODEC chip made by Crystal Semiconductors of Austin, Texas (now part of Cirrus Logic) for digital audio playback and recording and an AdLib-compatible Yamaha OPL3 FM music synthesizer. The 8-bit versions used different DAC and ADC parts for playback and recording and used dual AdLib-compatible Yamaha OPL2 FM music synthesizers to create stereo sound.

Sound Blaster compatibility
To provide true compatibility with the Sound Blaster's 8-bit playback on its 8-bit Pro AudioSpectrum Plus and 16-bit Pro AudioSpectrum 16, Media Vision included the same sound processor chip it used on its Thunder Board card. Thus, there were actually two digital audio playback devices on these cards that could also be used at the same time. The analog output of each of the two digital audio channels was combined in the on-board analog mixer.

CD-ROM interface
All Pro AudioSpectrum cards included a CD-ROM interface.

Most PAS cards were equipped with a NCR-designed 5380 SCSI controller made by Zilog that boasted a data transfer rate of 690kB/s using PIO (DMA was not supported); though intended for use with CD-ROM drives, these could interface with other SCSI devices with drivers written by Trantor Systems; Windows 95 includes drivers for the PAS SCSI interface and autodetects it as a PAS 16 Trantor SCSI host adaptor.

Other PAS cards included proprietary interfaces to CD-ROM drives they were packaged with. These included drives made by Sony and Matsushita (Panasonic). There was also variant with LMSI controller for LMSI Philips CM205, CM206 CD-ROM drives.

MIDI and game port
Each Pro AudioSpectrum sound card included a MPU401-compatible MIDI and Gameport interface similar to those on Sound Blaster cards.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Board

Mv_thunder.jpg
Thunder Board

The Thunder Board was an 8-bit mono personal computer integrated circuit sound card from Media Vision, that had Sound Blaster co […]
Show full quote

The Thunder Board was an 8-bit mono personal computer integrated circuit sound card from Media Vision, that had Sound Blaster compatibility at a reduced price. It was widely advertised as “proudly made in the USA”; possibly a reference to the Sound Blaster, manufactured by the competing Singapore-based Creative Technologies.

Other features included:
8 Bit mono record and playback of .VOC files
Yamaha YM3812 OPL2 FM Synth
2 Watt output
Joystick Port
8 Bit ISA bus
Volume Control
Powered Output Jack
Microphone Input Jack

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/07/o … -and-sound.html

Mediavision Pro Audio Spectrum (PAS) […]
Show full quote

Mediavision Pro Audio Spectrum (PAS)

AdLib compatible, no Sound Blaster compatiblity. Requires loading MVSOUND.SYS in CONFIG.SYS for card to work. 8-bit @ 44.1kHz DAC support. SCSI CD-ROM interface. Better noise characteristics than any 8-bit Sound Blaster. Stereo FM using 2 x OPL2 chipsets. There are games from Sierra that support this card for stereo FM music that do not support the Sound Blaster Pro. The MIDI interface has no MPU-401 compatibility.

The PAS can emulate the PC Speaker without having to route the sound from the motherboard. This is weird, however, since there is a header for the analog PC speaker output from the motherboard on the card.

The jumper settings for the original, 8-bit Pro Audio Spectrum are hard to find online and not marked on the circuit board. Look here, which also gives the pinout for the CD Audio input header:

pas.gif

Mediavision Thunderboard

AdLib and Sound Blaster 1.5 compatible clone (no CMS) with a volume wheel. Some games have a Thunderboard install option for better compatibility. Claims dynamic filtering for better output quality. Supposed to be reported as a 2.0, presumably because it supports auto-init DMA as does a SB 1.5 with DSP v2.01. The Thunderboard can disable the FM via jumper to work alongside the PAS and provide Sound Blaster compatibility to the Pro Audio Spectrum. (I assume you can do the same thing on a real Sound Blaster by removing the YM3812 chip.) The PAS16 would use the Thunderboard chipset for Sound Blaster compatibility. Do not use in a Tandy 1000 T/R/SL because the DMA channel cannot be changed or disabled. Interestingly, for a Sound Blaster clone it does not support MIDI output of any kind from the joystick port. Its jumper settings are here:

tb.gif__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://ipggi.wordpress.com/2008/04/26/dosbox- … ound-emulation/

Pro AudioSpectrum (PAS) […]
Show full quote

Pro AudioSpectrum (PAS)

Twin 9 channel FM synthesis, 8bit DSP, stereo
Created by newly formed Californian based Media Vision. The first Pro AudioSpectrum released in 1991 was an 8 bit stereo card that used two YM3812 chips for FM music and had its own DSP chip. I am pretty sure the DSP chip was stereo but was not Sound Blaster compatible, limiting its appeal. It did however include a SCSI CDROM interface allowing the connection of a then new to market CDROM drive. In this era there were significant savings to have had for buyers who purchased a Pro AudioSpectrum instead of a SoundBlaster Pro with a separate SCSI card.

There is no AudioSpectum emulation in DOSBox.

Pro AudioSpectrum Plus / 16 (PAS) […]
Show full quote

Pro AudioSpectrum Plus / 16 (PAS)

18 channel FM synthesis, 16bit 44KHz DSP, stereo
Released in 1992 the PAS 16 supported 16 bit 44KHz playback and 16 bit recording. Because of the built in SCSI CDROM interface, the card would often be bundled with expensive multi-media packages which included a CDROM drive. The 16 bit PAS was price at the same point as Creative’s 8 bit Sound Blaster Pro making it a popular choice for non-gamers.

The PAS Plus and PAS 16 are essentially the same cards for audio playback. They are both backwardly compatible with AdLib, Sound Blaster 1.5 and the original PAS.

There is no AudioSpectum Plus/16 emulation in DOSBox.

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multi … ia/16snd_t.html

MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. 16-BIT AUDIO CARD MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. 700-1031-11 (SANYO 94S/60) MEDIA VISION TECHNO […]
Show full quote

MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. 16-BIT AUDIO CARD
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. 700-1031-11 (SANYO 94S/60)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. 700-1113-02 (5302B/152)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. 700-1127-01 (SA254S/111)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. 700-1166-01 (94A/66)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. 700-1169-01 (SA94S/87)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. DELUXE SOUND BOARD (650-0123-01)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. DELUXE SOUND CARD
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. DOUBLE FUSION LX LSMI (650-0082-03)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. FUSION CD 16
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. FUSION CD16 REV. D (650-0032-01)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. FUSION CD16 S/E LMSI (650-0042-01)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. GETTING STARTED(SANYO 94A/123)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. GUIDE PREMIUM 3D MCD
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. MEMPHIS
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. MM DBL CD-16 PHILLIPS 206
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. MV 4000 PREMIUM 3D SCSI 2 (650-0111-01)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PREMIUM 3D MULTI CD (650-0090-05)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO 16 CD III
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO SPECTRUM 16 (700-0271)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO SPECTRUM 16 BASIC (650-0053-52)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO SPECTRUM 16 REV.C (650-0022-01)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO SPECTRUM 16 REV.D (650-0097-05)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO SPECTRUM REV.D (650-0044-01)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO STUDIO 16 (650-0060-02)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO STUDIO 16 (650-0091-03)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO WAVEREADY 16
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO WAVETABLE (650-0152-51), PRO AUDIO WAVETABLE IDE (650-0154-52)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO WAVETABLE 32
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIO WAVETABLE SCSI
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO AUDIOSPECTRUM PLUS
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO SONIC 16 (650-0066-02)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO SONIC 16 FD-SCSI (650-0087-03)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. PRO SONIC 16 PANASONIC (650-0066-04)
MEDIA VISION TECHNOLOGY, INC. SPECTRUM 16 (700-0171-02)

MEDIA-VISION-TECHNOLOGY-INC-Sound-card-PRO-AUDIO-S-22-1.png
PRO AUDIO SPECTRUM REV.D (650-0044-01)
http://nsd.dyndns.org/pas16/

The Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (pas16) is an obsolete ISA non-Pnp audio card produced by Media Vision, a company that went down in fl […]
Show full quote

The Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (pas16) is an obsolete ISA non-Pnp audio card produced by Media Vision, a company that went down in flames after the CEO was discovered cooking the books. That said, I own one and the sound quality is quite nice. And when I wanted to use it (in place of a PoC SBPro; 8bit+22Khz max? feh!) I could not find documentation online about the jumper settings. Hence what follows.

Pro Audio Spectrum 16 jumpers

There appears to be more than one board labeled "PAS16" out there. This diagram does not match my board at all, but maybe it matches yours. My board has a much smaller cdrom connector than the 50-pin scsi connector that that site shows, and the silkscreen reads "(c)1993 PRO AUDIO 16 LMSI 650-0082-03-A FCC ID: IXW-LMSI2". My board is a full length 16-bit ISA card, and there is a depopulated 20-pin J2 at the top edge of the board. On top of that some diagrams in my manual are obviously mislabeled.

The native sound portion of the PAS16 is based at I/O address 0x388 and uses IRQ 10, DMA 3.

The sound blaster compatability circuitry uses IRQ 5, DMA 1, and is based at 0x220, like the default sound blaster settings.

http://www.wi-inf.uni-essen.de/~schwarze/nt/k … ten/sound3.html
http://www.wi-inf.uni-essen.de/~schwarze/nt/k … ten/sound4.html
http://ejneary.home.comcast.net/~ejneary/
http://ejneary.home.comcast.net/~ejneary/mv.html

This is John Neary's website. He was employee #42 at Media Vision. Has some neat images of the cards that the company did, and maybe he can provide us some further more information. You will find Mr. Neary's email address on the bottom of the page on his website.

In October of 1991,I joined a company called Media Vison Incorporated. This page is a partial history of the company as I watched it grow and then fold. When I joined the company, I was employee #42 and the company eventually reached to almost 500 employees at its high point. When I left, there were a little over 200 employees left and dwindling FAST!

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?topic=3341.0

Also I found some neat discussion on the QuestStudios forums that is related somewhat with the topic that Mau1wurf1977 started here on VOGONS.
There are some Linux related stuff too on kernel.org and other websites that provide some information about the Pro Audio Spectrum cards. I'm not sure if these are useful, but it's worth take a look I guess. The Linux kernel has support for the Pro Audio Spectrum 16, Studio 16 and Logitech SoundMan 16 cards, however not the original Pro Audio Spectrum or the Pro Audio Spectrum Plus cards. So we have some source code now.

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/oss/PAS16
http://grox.net/doc/linux/howto-OLD-VERSIONS/ … nd-HOWTO-3.html
http://luv.asn.au/overheads/linux_sound/snd_struct.html
http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.slackware.co … ocs/Sound-HOWTO
http://books.google.ro/books?id=ibLa4I5EnC4C& … 0vision&f=false
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Audio-16-Official-B … k/dp/0078819792

Here are some books that could be useful, especially the second one. It may include some technical documentation, but I'm not sure. There's no digital copies out there that we can obtain.

The Official handbook on the Pro AudioSpectrum line of sound cards. Comprehensive coverage ranges from installation basics to getting the most from sound manipulation techniques. The reader should learn to use the entire MediaVision family of sound products including the latest. Hot new tricks are revealed, using the software bundled with the MediaVision sound cards. Details on accessories such as speakers, CD-ROMS and joy-sticks are included, as well as a disk packed with music, sound effects and multimedia utilities for Dos and Windows.

http://www.mpoli.fi/files/hardware/SOUND/PAS/index.html

These are just some drivers and utilities. Nothing special, but might be useful. Maybe they can be reversed.
And last but not least some more utilities, drivers, SDK (at least tree of them and they are even bigger than the one already in this topic). This is the most valuable archive that I have and found. It even has FAQs, support emails, reviews, software support list and more. Check them out, because I'm not going trough all of the archives... 🤣!

#  Archive C:\PROAUDIO.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\CDPLAYER
2012-10-06 18:32 13397 13250 77cd0ad9 PROAUDIO\CDPLAYER\CDPLAYER.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\CDSTUFF
2012-10-06 18:32 61822 60976 3e30bb43 PROAUDIO\CDSTUFF\CDSTUFF.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\COMPTONS
2012-10-06 18:32 56739 56471 a207078b PROAUDIO\COMPTONS\COMPTONS.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\CONSOU
2012-10-06 18:32 1442560 1440445 be40f326 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\CONSOU.EXE
2012-10-06 18:32 34628 33039 75d153aa PROAUDIO\CONSOU\CONSOUND.EX_
2012-10-06 18:32 9666 9332 f6a9f009 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\CONSOUND.HL_
2012-10-06 18:32 16556 15946 ea9c83fc PROAUDIO\CONSOU\MCI.VB_
2012-10-06 18:32 8898 8523 f3ad8a31 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\PICCLIP.VB_
2012-10-06 18:32 1047 469 0a828cf2 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\README.TXT
2012-10-06 18:32 14848 8191 b71b9dc6 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\SETUP.EXE
2012-10-06 18:32 26 28 6832c922 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\SETUP.LST
2012-10-06 18:32 22289 8705 2e524e00 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\SETUP1.EXE
2012-10-06 18:32 7008 2868 ce901129 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\SETUPKIT.DLL
2012-10-06 18:32 3354 770 d87f0c3a PROAUDIO\CONSOU\SOUNDS.INI
2012-10-06 18:32 171 121 5ba8b97d PROAUDIO\CONSOU\SOUND_MT.INI
2012-10-06 18:32 31220 30304 a13e07f3 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\THREED.VB_
2012-10-06 18:32 3138 230 c1092011 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\TOMSEND.MID
2012-10-06 18:32 8619 8248 968efec3 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\TRANS.BM_
2012-10-06 18:32 1115520 1053037 730628a7 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\TRANS.WAV
2012-10-06 18:32 246403 236418 d419a689 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\VBRUN200.DL_
2012-10-06 18:32 8736 5184 ca702c43 PROAUDIO\CONSOU\VER.DLL
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\DISK1
2012-10-06 18:32 212386 193437 2e01a709 PROAUDIO\DISK1\DISK1.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\DISK2
2012-10-06 18:32 393534 382135 01b9862d PROAUDIO\DISK2\DISK2.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\EISACFG
2012-10-06 18:32 1333 1338 ba0cbe64 PROAUDIO\EISACFG\EISACFG.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\FDDMAIRQ
2012-10-06 18:32 52853 52850 10d66633 PROAUDIO\FDDMAIRQ\FDDMAIRQ.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\FLKYB
2012-10-06 18:32 443 423 b5bdd155 PROAUDIO\FLKYB\FLKYB.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\FM301
2012-10-06 18:32 5788 5587 35bd32c5 PROAUDIO\FM301\FM301.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\FM41A
2012-10-06 18:32 6849 5920 c53772bd PROAUDIO\FM41A\FM41A.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\FM42A
2012-10-06 18:32 14427 14085 096a3893 PROAUDIO\FM42A\FM42.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\FMPCM
2012-10-06 18:32 3041 3046 519f161c PROAUDIO\FMPCM\FMPCM.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\FMSYN101
2012-10-06 18:32 46759 46639 6d0feac3 PROAUDIO\FMSYN101\FMSYN101.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\FREQ3
2012-10-06 18:32 109616 109598 6ad64ba3 PROAUDIO\FREQ3\FREQ3.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\FUNSRC
2012-10-06 18:32 10047 9904 8d100e8f PROAUDIO\FUNSRC\FUNSRC.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\GW2000
2012-10-06 18:32 41532 41183 83e275d6 PROAUDIO\GW2000\GW2000.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\HUMFIX
2012-10-06 18:32 7664 7437 a450c967 PROAUDIO\HUMFIX\HUMFIX.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\IRQDMA
2012-10-06 18:32 15569 15359 d4a6b145 PROAUDIO\IRQDMA\IRQDMA.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\IT15
2012-10-06 18:32 538573 536803 de1779b3 PROAUDIO\IT15\IT15.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\JROB
Show last 166 lines
2012-10-06 18:32        611066        604202  10363540  PROAUDIO\JROB\JROB.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MERGE
2012-10-06 18:32 11128 11133 6ef498b2 PROAUDIO\MERGE\MERGE.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MIDIDR13
2012-10-06 18:32 5676 5681 56ffe809 PROAUDIO\MIDIDR13\MIDIDR13.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MIDIKB
2012-10-06 18:32 106070 103366 8da5f26c PROAUDIO\MIDIKB\MIDIKB.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MIDIMUTT
2012-10-06 18:32 10288 10236 cf908cb9 PROAUDIO\MIDIMUTT\MIDIMUTT.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MIDIQA
2012-10-06 18:32 17654 17659 6e9be0b8 PROAUDIO\MIDIQA\MIDIQA.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MONO16
2012-10-06 18:32 37847 37857 042c0d73 PROAUDIO\MONO16\MONO16.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MPCQ_A
2012-10-06 18:32 8253 8258 21d8284c PROAUDIO\MPCQ_A\MPCQ&A.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MSACM200
2012-10-06 18:32 96827 96485 b3f64f3c PROAUDIO\MSACM200\MSACM200.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVDOC
2012-10-06 18:32 29438 29334 e4052b99 PROAUDIO\MVDOC\MVDOC.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVHELP
2012-10-06 18:32 69995 70003 ed288589 PROAUDIO\MVHELP\MVHELP.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVMIX148
2012-10-06 18:32 15122 15098 b53609c4 PROAUDIO\MVMIX148\MVMIX148.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVOS2
2012-10-06 18:32 115219 115164 ed095eca PROAUDIO\MVOS2\MVOS2.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVPRO150
2012-10-06 18:32 14625 14630 2ffac6d4 PROAUDIO\MVPRO150\MVPRO150.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVPROAUD
2012-10-06 18:32 17494 17490 4247ec4f PROAUDIO\MVPROAUD\MVPROAUD.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVPRODD
2012-10-06 18:32 30051 30010 abf40937 PROAUDIO\MVPRODD\MVPRODD.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVSA
2012-10-06 18:32 78216 78165 fff1b7ed PROAUDIO\MVSA\MVSA.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVSND324
2012-10-06 18:32 10570 10527 14fcd85f PROAUDIO\MVSND324\MVSND324.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVSOU323
2012-10-06 18:32 20764 20603 48a98918 PROAUDIO\MVSOU323\MVSOU323.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MVUTL
2012-10-06 18:32 164371 163401 0d52defd PROAUDIO\MVUTL\MVUTL.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\MV_TIPS
2012-10-06 18:32 18902 18902 5a61186b PROAUDIO\MV_TIPS\MV-TIPS.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\OS2PAS
2012-10-06 18:32 5908 5913 1ab596b2 PROAUDIO\OS2PAS\OS2PAS.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\OS2QA
2012-10-06 18:32 2342 2347 d3420173 PROAUDIO\OS2QA\OS2QA.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\P16Q_A
2012-10-06 18:32 18432 18437 00b00072 PROAUDIO\P16Q_A\P16Q&A.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PAK_VPAS
2012-10-06 18:32 6328 6333 c2c5e185 PROAUDIO\PAK_VPAS\PAK-VPAS.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 154 129 8b589cab PROAUDIO\PAS-SDK.TXT
2012-10-06 18:32 3079 1245 dc7fcd3a PROAUDIO\PAS-SSL
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PAS142
2012-10-06 18:32 329627 325715 6c41e98e PROAUDIO\PAS142\PAS142.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PAS144
2012-10-06 18:32 348160 343730 f550dbc6 PROAUDIO\PAS144\PAS144.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PAS146IN
2012-10-06 18:32 1029285 1028839 1dcb35a6 PROAUDIO\PAS146IN\PAS146IN.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 14646 6491 2b3af9f1 PROAUDIO\PAS16.REV
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PAS16REG
2012-10-06 18:32 4605 4610 d763da9c PROAUDIO\PAS16REG\PAS16REG.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PAS16_SB
2012-10-06 18:32 16855 16837 edbe2acb PROAUDIO\PAS16_SB\PAS16-SB.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASDSA
2012-10-06 18:32 54275 54250 4f663461 PROAUDIO\PASDSA\PASDSA.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASMIX
2012-10-06 18:32 71512 69870 045b23e5 PROAUDIO\PASMIX\PASMIX.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 2406 1177 42cf9fd7 PROAUDIO\PASOS2.TXT
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASPATCH
2012-10-06 18:32 19161 19149 9d96fd2c PROAUDIO\PASPATCH\PASPATCH.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 32610 6871 1dcac3e6 PROAUDIO\PASPROGS.LST
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASQ_A
2012-10-06 18:32 7123 7128 4bba2670 PROAUDIO\PASQ_A\PASQ&A.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASSCSI
2012-10-06 18:32 60416 59827 227f0fd4 PROAUDIO\PASSCSI\PASSCSI.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASSDK30
2012-10-06 18:32 572329 572409 3d8c47ce PROAUDIO\PASSDK30\PASSDK30.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASTEXT
2012-10-06 18:32 3828 3833 5abe4cf3 PROAUDIO\PASTEXT\PASTEXT.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASUTL20
2012-10-06 18:32 276009 275578 ef387b02 PROAUDIO\PASUTL20\PASUTL20.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASW12
2012-10-06 18:32 278570 278132 329ffbd6 PROAUDIO\PASW12\PASW12.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASW13
2012-10-06 18:32 275359 274829 bc85f11a PROAUDIO\PASW13\PASW13.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASW142
2012-10-06 18:32 311450 310567 6bbdeed9 PROAUDIO\PASW142\PASW142.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASW144
2012-10-06 18:32 328465 327541 e3870c04 PROAUDIO\PASW144\PASW144.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASW145
2012-10-06 18:32 328606 327696 a3ebbae3 PROAUDIO\PASW145\PASW145.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASW14B1
2012-10-06 18:32 338800 337811 2d38a56d PROAUDIO\PASW14B1\PASW14B1.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASW14B2
2012-10-06 18:32 278083 277202 5d42cbc9 PROAUDIO\PASW14B2\PASW14B2.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASW14B3
2012-10-06 18:32 349819 348440 549004c2 PROAUDIO\PASW14B3\PASW14B3.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PASWINNT
2012-10-06 18:32 3041 3046 78d87153 PROAUDIO\PASWINNT\PASWINNT.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PAS_FAQL
2012-10-06 18:32 18933 18938 0746d0a4 PROAUDIO\PAS_FAQL\PAS-FAQL.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PAS_GATE
2012-10-06 18:32 15595 15005 0bd1d88b PROAUDIO\PAS_GATE\PAS_GATE.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PAS_SDK1
2012-10-06 18:32 183701 179876 b1933c3a PROAUDIO\PAS_SDK1\PAS-SDK1.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PAS_SDK2
2012-10-06 18:32 266975 265923 6c03e24d PROAUDIO\PAS_SDK2\PAS-SDK2.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PCMFR12
2012-10-06 18:32 154000 153730 0da1d2a9 PROAUDIO\PCMFR12\PCMFR12.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PCMTLSRC
2012-10-06 18:32 91505 91496 edf370b3 PROAUDIO\PCMTLSRC\PCMTLSRC.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PCMTOOLS
2012-10-06 18:32 97702 97585 25ba7b67 PROAUDIO\PCMTOOLS\PCMTOOLS.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\POCMIX
2012-10-06 18:32 27171 26694 d4861e5a PROAUDIO\POCMIX\POCMIX.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\POWERMAN
2012-10-06 18:32 1795 1800 4c1a30b0 PROAUDIO\POWERMAN\POWERMAN.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\PPLUSQ_A
2012-10-06 18:32 19133 19138 5d115df5 PROAUDIO\PPLUSQ_A\PPLUSQ&A.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\P_STU11
2012-10-06 18:32 1007849 1007690 fe16e944 PROAUDIO\P_STU11\P_STU11.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\SBANK
2012-10-06 18:32 25224 25069 7677f541 PROAUDIO\SBANK\SBANK.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\SDK_EX
2012-10-06 18:32 4891 4861 89f5b9df PROAUDIO\SDK_EX\SDK_EX.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 5120 2934 0f4a4c04 PROAUDIO\SOUNDR.COM
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\STATE153
2012-10-06 18:32 41352 41125 ef90a39b PROAUDIO\STATE153\STATE153.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\SURVEY
2012-10-06 18:32 4216 4221 03ce95fc PROAUDIO\SURVEY\SURVEY.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\TALKSH
2012-10-06 18:32 16384 7078 d07353ae PROAUDIO\TALKSH\INSTALL.EXE
2012-10-06 18:32 1093 464 064c68ba PROAUDIO\TALKSH\INWIN.INF
2012-10-06 18:32 31766 31732 d22cc798 PROAUDIO\TALKSH\INWIN.SQU
2012-10-06 18:32 1433 692 a17ec242 PROAUDIO\TALKSH\README.TXT
2012-10-06 18:32 22443 21788 11e13bf2 PROAUDIO\TALKSH\TALKBMP.SQU
2012-10-06 18:32 52703 52383 7b4e9005 PROAUDIO\TALKSH\TALKEXE.SQU
2012-10-06 18:32 282368 282165 615ab650 PROAUDIO\TALKSH\TALKSH.EXE
2012-10-06 18:32 161539 161372 2c989fa4 PROAUDIO\TALKSH\TALKWAV.SQU
2012-10-06 18:32 10917 3841 538edaf8 PROAUDIO\TALKSH\VENDOR.DOC
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\TBPRO
2012-10-06 18:32 86484 86495 bb2e14d3 PROAUDIO\TBPRO\TBPRO15.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\TPCM35
2012-10-06 18:32 84984 84881 9bafaa9d PROAUDIO\TPCM35\TPCM35.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\TP_INT94
2012-10-06 18:32 18793 18742 1b549d4c PROAUDIO\TP_INT94\TP_INT94.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\TSLCD312
2012-10-06 18:32 11097 11047 0d7b808f PROAUDIO\TSLCD312\TSLCD312.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\VDMA
2012-10-06 18:32 5764 5769 59b552f2 PROAUDIO\VDMA\VDMA.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\VOLUME
2012-10-06 18:32 5014 4920 c147f79b PROAUDIO\VOLUME\VOLUME.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\WAV16A
2012-10-06 18:32 109824 109652 4212bcd6 PROAUDIO\WAV16A\WAV16A.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\WAVAWAV
2012-10-06 18:32 54660 54481 cc3cb5c5 PROAUDIO\WAVAWAV\WAVAWAV.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\WAVULT23
2012-10-06 18:32 159559 159466 29c45c54 PROAUDIO\WAVULT23\WAVUTL23.ARJ
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\WAVWOR11
2012-10-06 18:32 164945 164595 5540a8d4 PROAUDIO\WAVWOR11\WAVWOR11.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\WC3
2012-10-06 18:32 53457 53459 904c0511 PROAUDIO\WC3\WC3.ZIP
2012-10-06 18:32 Folder Folder 00000000 PROAUDIO\ZBGI
2012-10-06 18:32 30045 29635 f23abe5d PROAUDIO\ZBGI\ZBGI.ZIP
#
# Total Size Packed Files
# 14758352 14513227 222

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ecawedk1bhzz8w9
Filename: PROAUDIO.ZIP
CRC32: 3D7F8101
MD5: F8723BA8AD4995406A5E80D424F3E5E5
SHA-1: E638D19D228D39DE449CCDA3D21B6CEDB17937D5

That's all I have guys! Sorry for the humongous post. Have a very nice day!
Edit: Sorry for my crappy English skills! If you find some grammar or other errors I apologize for that.

Reply 6 of 34, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow excellent research! Thank you.

I never got far with this. Although I can program a little bit, it's not enough for this task 🙁

So I focused on Roland MT-32 as many games from that era support this standard.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 34, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You are welcome! I'm not sure that all these information is enough, or what to look for so I just included what I think it could be useful for a knowledgeable person who understands source code and how things work. We have some source code, but it might be difficult to understand if they are not commented properly. It's old code, and old card. I was pretty much amazed how the internal 3dfx emulation was done by kekko.

The Pro Audio Spectrum 16 cards shouldn't be hard to do, we just need a volunteer and a bunch of time of course. I wish a lot of luck to the person who would implement the stuff. If it's hard or a waste of time just don't bother coding it, just concentrate on other more important things.

Here's an additional video that I found on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-lWP2fxfGk

Reply 9 of 34, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I fear the issue with the PAS is that there has been no true "need" to implement it, there is little documentation of how the underlying hardware works and it uses a boatload of I/O ports. Its not like there are games that will suddenly fly out and sing by choosing this option.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 10 of 34, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a few games that, only with PAS or PAS 16, will offer Stereo FM Music. But having said that, most of these game support the MT-32 anyway. Space Quest 4 and Police Quest 3 for example.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 34, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Referring to the Pro AudioSpectrum cards as "Sound Blaster clones" is a bit disingenuous, especially as far as the PCM and Mixer support is concerned. In any event, and despite being a pretty big Media Vision aficionado myself, I happen to agree with Great Hierophant in that there is simply no known reason to emulate the PAS/16. Other than one or two Dynamix titles, I'm not aware of any stereo FM support that can't be (or hasn't already been) extended to other, stereo-supporting sound cards at the driver level.

I'd hate to deter anyone though...

I have complete SDKs for the Pro AudioSpectrum/16 and Thunder Board cards, including the technical reference documentation for both. There are a few hundred pages that need to be scanned, but it's been on my list of things to do for some time, and this renewed interest may serve as an impetus to get started...

Reply 12 of 34, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:

I have complete SDKs for the Pro AudioSpectrum/16 and Thunder Board cards, including the technical reference documentation for both. There are a few hundred pages that need to be scanned, but it's been on my list of things to do for some time, and this renewed interest may serve as an impetus to get started...

Wow! That's awesome to know that someone has some valuable information about the most important cards. The #1 priority is the original Pro AudioSpectrum, because that card is not SoundBlaster compatible. The rest of these are not as important than the first card! Would be nice if we could get hold of the technical documentation, simply because it's rare and hard to come by. Media Vision is defunct so I don't see any problem.

Also I can't agree that only a few games are supported. MobyGames lists a bunch of games that have Pro AudioSpectrum support. Here are some of the games that do...

Sound Devices Supported : Pro Audio Spectrum: - http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,79/p,2/
Sound Devices Supported : Pro Audio Spectrum Plus: - http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attr … uteId,1727/p,2/
Sound Devices Supported : Pro Audio Spectrum 16 - http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attr … uteId,1728/p,2/

Also you can find in the PROAUDIO.ZIP archive a file called PAS-SSL that has some stuff too. I fixed the formatting, and made some corrections. Please note that it's not a complete list but it's worth something.

Pro Audio Spectrum software support list. 
(01/12/94 update)

---------------
GAMES Section:

Title: Publisher PAS PAS+ PAS16 IRQ / DMA STEREO
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed Racer in chall. Accolade [x] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Prince of Persia 2 Broderbund [x] [ ] [ ] [ ]
The Prophecy Coktel V. [x] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Aces over Europe Dynamix [x] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Michael Jordan in fl. Elec.Arts [x] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Rampage EOA [x] [ ] [x] [ ]
Doom ID softw. [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Return to Zork Infocom [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Battlechess 4000 Interplay [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Lost Vikings Interplay [x] [ ] [x] [ ]
CyberStrike (on GEnie) Microprose [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Rebel Assault (CD) LucasArts [ ] [ ] [x] [x]
Loom (CD) LucasArts [ ] [ ] [x] [x]
Cobra Mission Megatech [x] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Metal and Lace Megatech [x] [ ] [x] [ ]
NFL C.C.C. Microprose [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Railroad Tycoon Microprose [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Return of the Phantom Microprose [ ] [ ] [x] I:1to3 D:1to3 [?]
F15 Strike Eagle III Microprose [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Seal Team Microprose [ ] [ ] [x] D:1 to 3 [x]
Master of Orion Microprose [ ] [ ] [x] [x]
Flight Simulator 5 Microsoft [x] [x] [x] I:7 D:3 [ ]
Strike Commander Origin [x] [ ] [ ] [?]
Privateer Origin [x] [ ] [ ] D:1 to 3 [ ]
Empire Deluxe New.Wrld. [ ] [ ] [x] [?]
Indy Car Racing Papyrus [x] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Kings Quest VI Sierra [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Space Quest V Sierra [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Quest for Glory III Sierra [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Police Quest IV Sierra [ ] [ ] [x] [ ]
Tetris Classic Spec.Holo. [x] [x] [x] [x]
Chess Meist. 1 bill.5 Spec.Holo. [x] [ ] [x] [ ]
7th Guest (CD) Virgin [ ] [ ] [x] [x]
Monopoly Deluxe Virgin [x] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Reply 14 of 34, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:

Well, almost nine months later, here is the complete Pro AudioSpectrum SDK v2.01:

http://www.symphoniae.com/soundcard/MediaVisi … /PASSDK_201.zip

Nice!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 34, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:

Well, almost nine months later, here is the complete Pro AudioSpectrum SDK v2.01:

http://www.symphoniae.com/soundcard/MediaVisi … /PASSDK_201.zip

And lo, another six months later, I've finally gotten around to scanning the Thunder Board Programmer's Reference. I'm linking to a version converted by Jim Leonard to include a searchable-text layer (because my version of Acrobat is, uh... deficient), hosted on his FTP server:

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Hardwar ... erence.pdf

Unlike the PAS SDK, there is no accompanying software for the Thunder Board.

The Thunder Board was released in July of 1991, and was designed to compete with, and was superior to, Creative's then-current Sound Blaster 1.5 w/DSP 2.00. The Sound Blaster 2.0 was released several months later, featuring the 2.01 DSP with "high-speed," 44kHz playback functionality, thereby leapfrogging the Thunder Board's playback capabilities. (I like to think that, without Media Vision, Creative wouldn't have bothered to innovate at all, with this being yet another example. Any-hoo...)

The Thunder Board programmer's reference was written in June of 1992. In August of 1992, Media Vision licensed the 2.01 DSP "code" from Creative as part of a lawsuit settlement, and while this made it onto several of the PAS16 variants in the form of the MVD201 chip, I'm not sure if a 2.01-compatible "ESP" was ever featured on a Thunder Board proper.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that the Thunder Board was designed in such a way as to complement the original, 8-bit Pro AudioSpectrum, with the owner's manual going so far as to cover installing them both together.

Reply 17 of 34, by Hornpipe2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sid Meier's Civilization had a patch released April 14, 1994 which adds support for some additional sound cards, including Pro Audio Spectrum. This file was downloaded from the Microprose BBS.

EDIT: Just tested and selected "Sound Blaster 2 / Pro" and it gave me stereo sound, so I guess this isn't PAS specific after all.

New sound drivers for Civilization […]
Show full quote

New sound drivers for Civilization

Due to the continued popularity of MicroProse's best seller, Civilization, your friends in the MPS Sound Department have created new sound drivers to support the latest sound cards.

Support is added for all OPL-3 based FM cards (Pro Audio Spectrum Plus, 16, Studio; Sound Blaster Pro, 16, 16ASP, AWE32; AdLib/Cardinal Gold; Microsoft Windows Sound System; and all compatibles) and for any General MIDI card or external synth via a standard MPU-401 type MIDI interface. The General MIDI driver is optimized for the Roland SCC-1, but works well on any GM device.

MPS Sound Department - April, 1994

Attachments

• Filename
    civsnd.zip
    File size
    55.96 KiB
    Downloads
    212 downloads
    File comment
    Civilization - Additional Sound Drivers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 34, by avx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this recording of PAS, for reference to check if the emulation is accurate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-lWP2fxfGk

edit: .. not having luck finding more recordings. bummer

Last edited by avx on 2015-11-02, 18:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 34, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Comparison of PAS Dual OPL vs SB 2.0 OPL2 vs ATI Stereo F/X OPL2 (Police Quest):
PAS Dual OPL2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgng2r3l0xw3rpq/PQ3_PAS.mp3?dl=0
SB 2.0 OPL2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/an4hpfats08tupe/PQ3 … oundbl.mp3?dl=0
ATI Stereo F/X OPL2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zptvesqgrtstqc/PQ3 … SB_Ati.mp3?dl=0
ATI Stereo F/X CMS: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5t10sm7hyfhm7hr/PQ3 … MS_Ati.mp3?dl=0
Links have been updated.

I do not hear much of a difference between PAS and ATI. ATI Stereo F/X uses some stereo enhancements. Sounds richer than SB 2.0.
Any game making real use of the additional OPL2?