Post pics of your CRT monitors

Topic actions

First post, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please show off your sexy CRT monitor here...no LCD's allowed 🤣

Show off your trinitrons, diamondtrons, and syncmasters and more.. I have not seen a sony fw900 yet on vogons..that would be nice to see one in action.

Reply 1 of 540, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might have seen this one recently 😀 IBM P76 flat Trinitron. Recommended retail price ¥ 56,000 in 1999. That's impressive $6600 Probably the best CRT monitor I have ever seen live.
P1020759.JPG

Reply 2 of 540, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice one RacoonRider, that's one bad mofo of a monitor!

I use this 17" Sony Multiscan 200ES for everything from a 286 up to a P4. I bought it NIB a year or so ago and have been loving on it ever since:

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 540, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ had the same monitor back then, great one... mine just died and was thrown away years ago

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
photo(1).JPG
Filename
photo(1).JPG
File size
170.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Atari, Commodore

photo.JPG
Filename
photo.JPG
File size
108.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

One of the best CRT's I've ever owned - SONY Multicscan G200 - up to 1600x1200 resolution @ 60Hz

Reply 5 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sadly I have not been able to find a decent quality CRT locally, and obviously most people will not ship a CRT via courier. worse yet , my old LCD broke down recently leaving me to use my modern HD LCD (an ASUS VH242H), which does have a few advantages such as high resolutions and low response times, but its obvious a good CRT is better, older games in particular look a bit funny on this thing (mainly the colours ,which are almost too strong)

by decent I obviously mean something that was higher end at the time, if I looked I could probably find a Dell or some other low end CRT , but then I don't think there would be that much benefit over an LCD at that point. if any given how low res some of them are.

Reply 6 of 540, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Sony Multiscan 420 Trinitron in the garage (defective but saved for fixing when I get to it). 1600x1200@60 looks kind of shitty when it did work (got it new) but 1280x1024 @85 rocked.

I don't have any pics of my monitors handy but I have a dozen or so including a few 17" Trinitrons, a Monster 20" Fixed frequency Trinitron for old Macs, various Commodore and Atari monitors for 8 bits and Amiga, Gateway, Mitsubishi and Mag, and a NEC 3ds that needs fixed. Also a few CGA that work fine.

Old systems look best on a CRT, especially when you need low resolutions. LCD monitors looks best at native resolution and mostly still suck for 24bit.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 7 of 540, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought new Sony Multiscan 420 in 1998 and then exchange it in 2000 for Sony E400 under warranty for bad pixels. Sold it around 2007. I still have these CRTs: 12" VGA B&W, 14" VGA Siemens, 17" Phillips, Atari mono SM124, Atari color SC1224, Commodore 1084. Will take pictures sometime and upload here...

For text/web browsing usage it is really hard to find a good CRT monitor. They lack the sharpness of the LCDs and usually have quite uneven focus on different parts of the screen. For gaming that isn't an issue 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 540, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

badmojo, I noticed that monitor before, it's got a fun retro look. "Look at me, I'm all curvy, but still boxy". Goes great with retro cases 😀 Mum still uses 24" Sony CRT TV of similar design. Entertains her well since 1997. It's funny how Sony changed their design since then, now they're more into sharp corners and straight lines. When I was buying a phone I never looked at Sony, because I had a feeling it would cut through my pants the instant I put it there 😁

Reply 9 of 540, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

For text/web browsing usage it is really hard to find a good CRT monitor. They lack the sharpness of the LCDs and usually have quite uneven focus on different parts of the screen.

If you have a montitor like that it's either broken or a trinitron.

Reply 10 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:

by decent I obviously mean something that was higher end at the time, if I looked I could probably find a Dell or some other low end CRT

Of course, you know that some Dell CRT's used Sony Trinitron tubes right? Some Dell CRT's were a little on the "higher end" in terms of quality. (I have 4 21" Trinitron Dell's and they work great...they are a little muddy when it comes to text though.

You'll literally have to look in the garbage and recycle bin sometimes. That's how I picked up an old (but good) Viewsonic CRT. It was in a recycle bin at a local thrift store...gave them $5 for it.

Reply 11 of 540, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ibm p201 (20" - 1600 x 1280) some times ago.
a4000_os4.jpg

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 12 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:
Darkman wrote:

by decent I obviously mean something that was higher end at the time, if I looked I could probably find a Dell or some other low end CRT

Of course, you know that some Dell CRT's used Sony Trinitron tubes right? Some Dell CRT's were a little on the "higher end" in terms of quality. (I have 4 21" Trinitron Dell's and they work great...they are a little muddy when it comes to text though.

You'll literally have to look in the garbage and recycle bin sometimes. That's how I picked up an old (but good) Viewsonic CRT. It was in a recycle bin at a local thrift store...gave them $5 for it.

oh yeah I know, but obviously youre taking a risk in that case, you might end up with gold, or with junk , so obviously its better sometimes just to wait it out until one finds a good brand, its the same approach I have with my games consoles.

the only alternative would be a Syncmaster LCD, some of the ones from circa 2005-6 seem to be a decent balance, certainly can't be worse than my current setup

Reply 13 of 540, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's pretty straightforward to find the good OEM monitors with a quick Google. I got two Dell P1130's from work for free, 21" FD Trinitrons. Beautiful.
r4GkTKTl.jpg

Found this Hitachi 19" flat shadow mask CRT at the rubbish tip:
Dclfsitl.jpg

Trusty old Commodore 1084S
jRsyAPel.jpg

And my Sony PVM-2950 for my consoles
5pOo5iAl.jpg

I also have a Sony PVM-1442QM, which is in storage at the moment, but I plan to use with my Apple IIgs.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 14 of 540, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did someone request a GDM-FW900? 😁

tmuF7l9j.jpg

It was actually in pretty bad shape, so I ended up selling it. (Worked okay, though.) My current CRT is a generic-looking 16" Chuntex. I've realized I actually prefer small 4:3 displays.

Last edited by maximus on 2016-11-25, 22:05. Edited 2 times in total.

PCGames9505

Reply 15 of 540, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have more CRTs but these are my favourite ones:

9c5d.jpg

Eizo F930
convex 21" shadow-mask
dot pitch .21mm horizontal
max res 2048x1536 at 80Hz
max freq 160Hz at 1024x768

efpj.jpg

Hewlett-Packard D2802A (rebranded Samsung)
convex 14" shadow-mask
dot pitch .39mm horizontal
max res 800x600 at 60Hz, and 1024x768 interlaced at 43.5Hz
max freq 100Hz or so at 320x200

Reply 16 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maximus wrote:
Did someone request a GDM-FW900? :D […]
Show full quote

Did someone request a GDM-FW900? 😁

gdm-fw900.jpg

It was actually in pretty bad shape, so I ended up selling it. (Worked okay, though.) My current CRT is a generic-looking 16" Chuntex. I've realized I actually prefer small 4:3 displays.

That was me...🤣...that thing is sweet! I guess I didn't realize it looked like that...I actually have the 4:3 version of that monitor...(pics to follow), but I always wanted the 16:9 version so I can use it as my "everyday monitor" as well...thanks for posting the pic.

Reply 17 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
And my for my consoles http://i.imgur.com/5pOo5iAl.jpg […]
Show full quote

And my for my consoles
5pOo5iAl.jpg

I also have a Sony PVM-1442QM, which is in storage at the moment, but I plan to use with my Apple IIgs.

That Sony PVM-2950 is a great monitor to have. Have you ever tried to hook it up to your computer with a 15-pin to composite or BNC adapter??

I wonder if that would work well. I've been on the look out for one of these beauties for my consoles as well, but of course they are a little impossible to find.

Reply 18 of 540, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I miss my 16" Panasonic, moved and she got left out in the rain to die. Nice and bright, clear picture and it got so hot you could cook toast on the top of it.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 19 of 540, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had a LG Studioworks 775N back in the day. Great mojnitor, shadowmask. Now I have two aperture grille monitors which I don't like, especially when playing old games like caesar iii.

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW