Common searches

Story behind your avatar?

Topic actions

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine is pretty simple, it's the logo from the nirvana "Nevermimd" album, I like 90s music, 90s tech and a good cup of coffee. This thread is pretty simple, explain what the heck your avatar is (for those who don't know) and explain why you chose it. Maybe a bit about yourself also? :p

Last edited by dosquest on 2014-02-11, 09:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 2 of 252, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice one, I'm interested in why people chose their avatar too! Mine of course is the mentat for house Atreides in Dune 2, Cyril I think his name is. It's a game I played a lot of as a kid and I always went Atreides, the good guys. One of these days I'm going to role-play a bad guy, it could be fun!

I used to be "badmofo" round here, an avatar name I chose at my first LAN party, but now - nearly 15 years and 2 kids later - I've decided that I'm not a bad motherfu%#er anymore, so I had it changed to "badmojo". Badmojo is quite a cool adventure game circa 1996, where you're turned into a cockroach a la kafka's metamorphosis. I'm still badmofo elsewhere on the net, so I guess my metamorphosis isn't complete yet 😈

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 252, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I chose my name because Dosmaster was taken...:p and I was like "I'm signing up here because I'm on a quest to find out how to play my favourite DOS games again.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 4 of 252, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suck at making avatars so I just went with something easily recognizable considering what I do for all of the retro gamers out there. :B

On the Allegro.cc forums, the only other forum I frequent on a regular basis and have been a member of since the year 2000, I've never once had an avatar at all... while everyone else is wearing Santa hats. XD

I've kinda wanted to make an avatar for that place of a broken image placeholder, with the icon wearing a Santa hat. ;)

As for "Gemini", it's the opposite of my actual horoscope, Sagittarius, since I'm an opposite kinda guy, and "Gemini000" comes from the fact that when I first tried to do stuff online, "Gemini" was often taken (since it's a VERY common username), and everyone kept attaching ridiculous numbers to the end of their names so I figured I'd go with a number that extremely few people would ever use or even think of using, and which sounded somewhat cool to say. :B

That said I STILL run into places where "Gemini000" isn't even available, in which case I just use the letter 'O' instead. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 252, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For those few that don't know, my avatar is Don Johnson from Miami Vice. Best show in TV history IMO. Very ahead of it's time and started the careers of many famous stars like Liam Neeson, Bruce Willis, Ed O'Neil, etc...lI was pretty young when it was in it's prime, but even as a kid, I wanted to be like Don, just like everyoone else sporting the shoes, no socks, light colored linen with bright pastel colors...Rico and Sonny were the epitome of cool...like them or not, you can't deny that they got all the ladies back in those days..🤣

Michael Mann is a genius..and even the new Miami Vice movie he made and Collateral were incredible movies. The old series would be relevant even today. Not many TV series from the 80s could claim that.

BTW..the 80s MIDI music of Jan Hammer kicked butt as well..🤣.

Reply 6 of 252, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ Oh yeah, Miami Vice - one of my favourite shows too. I also wondered if you're actually Don Johnson who tried to reverse psyche others into thinking that you're not by choosing yourself. 🤣

My avatar - as you already know, is Prince Thrakhath nar Kiranka of the Kilrah Empire, as seen in Wing Commander II. I created the animated GIF from a video capture using non other than Dosbox itself. 😀

I chose him, since ...uh...I'm a Leo myself, and this feline looks....elegant. 😁

(And also Wing Commander series are one of my favourite Dos games.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 252, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was playing around on my old childhood Compaq trying to upgrade it. I had questions regarding the Powerleap adapter and after several Google searches redirected me to Vogons I knew this was the place. I registered and thought the old Compaq logo as avatar would fit pretty well. At that point it was my only retro machine.. Now two years later I have several and a rather huge collection of stuff...

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 252, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was fascinated by that time with the name Pentium and for fun called the 486 a Tetrium...so I painted together my avatar and registered as Tetrium and of course I had to pick a fitting avatar 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 252, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine is the C&T "CHiPS" logo combined with the opening screen from 1980s classic TV show "CHiPs".

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 252, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

3D art and character design is a hobby. So is shader programming, hence the blurry look.

I thought you had a crush on her 🤣 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 252, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first 3D videocard was a Voodoo5 5500 AGP. Fell in love with 3dfx and have been collecting since 2003.

I'm not entirely sure but I think I started using this avatar since then too (2003), maybe one or two years later but it's been a long time no matter what.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 14 of 252, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine is a picture that a friend/co-worker drew in the program Kid Pix while we were testing for Broderbund. Was a pretty good deal testing art programs, there was a lot of time to doodle. He printed it out for me on the color laser printer (first time I had seen one of those) and I hung onto it for years inside my James Bond 007 Basic Set box until I happened upon it years later and decided it would be my Avatar. I really like the art.

Here is a larger view :

25p4pw2.jpg

The name came about one night while I was drunken chatting in a music chat room and some girl asked me my sign. I think I had probably recently just seen Austin Powers, before that I was F3rv3R and before that Fryer. I've been Shagittarius for a long time now and have no expectations to change again.

Reply 15 of 252, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My avatar is me.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 16 of 252, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My avatar is the "face" cropped from the Voodoo 5 6000 box - I also dig it because it sort of looks like Pinhead.

http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/35004-1/3dfx+Voo … y+razrx+Top.JPG
(had it embedded but it's waaaay too big)

Reply 17 of 252, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

My avatar is the "face" cropped from the Voodoo 5 6000 box - I also dig it because it sort of looks like Pinhead.

http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/35004-1/3dfx+Voo … y+razrx+Top.JPG
(had it embedded but it's waaaay too big)

You have a Voodoo5 6000?

(jeaous) 😁

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 19 of 252, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

You have a Voodoo5 6000?

(jeaous) 😁

No, I just like the picture. 😀

Around the time those were popular I had a GeForce 2. 😊

Well I made the same mistake. 🙁