VOGONS

First post, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Attached archive of DOSBox-r3873 (win32) along with MT-32 MIDI emulation (version 1.5.0; 12/21/14), OpenGL-HQ output mode, and playback of OGG cue sheet music tracks. To activate the high quality OpenGL-HQ scaler, edit dosbox configuration file to output=openglhq.

Three changes activate MT-32 emulation in a game: 2 ROM files in the dosbox.exe directory, in-game selection for MT-32 music, and additions/edits to the dosbox configuration file:

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=mt32
midiconfig=
mt32.romdir=
mt32.reverse.stereo=false
mt32.verbose=false
mt32.thread=false
mt32.chunk=16
mt32.prebuffer=32
mt32.partials=32
mt32.dac=0
mt32.analog=2
mt32.reverb.mode=auto
mt32.reverb.time=5
mt32.reverb.level=3

Note that the option mt32.thread=true may produce better performance (chunk and prebuffer parameters are specific to this option but should not be changed). The author, sergm, has made extensive changes to the mt-32 emulator, especially with the addition of analog sound emulation!

Backup your current dosbox directory before copying the archived files to it. This build is for experienced users and is available for your convenience only. The user is responsible for installation and any issues that may arise.

Edit: updated binary and post to reflect current version of MT-32 emulation (12/21/14; built by mingw). MT-32 and SDL_sound libraries are static linked with the executable while the others are included as DLL files.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-r3873+MT32+OGG.zip
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Downloads
    3076 downloads
    File comment
    DOSBox-r3873+MT32-v1.5.0+OGG
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by truth_deleted on 2014-12-25, 01:13. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 2 of 15, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Attached recent build of DOSBox 0.74/SVN (12/11/13) with MUNT mt32 emulation (11/23/13) and OpenGL-HQ (OHQ) mode. Compiled by mingw32/gcc4.6.2. Instructions in parent post on how to activate mt32 midi in games. Also, to activate OHQ mode, set dosbox.conf as follows: output=openglhq. It's a good scaler for the mt32 era of games.

The MUNT source code was obtained from its GitHub repository on 1/2/14.

Edit: outdated binary removed, see the parent post instead.

Last edited by truth_deleted on 2014-06-24, 01:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 15, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Attached recent build of DOSBox SVN-r3858 (2/12/14) with MUNT mt32 emulation (GitHub; 2/12/14) and OpenGL-HQ (OHQ) mode. Compiled by mingw32/gcc4.6.2. Instructions in parent post on how to activate mt32 midi in games. Also, to activate OHQ mode, set dosbox.conf as follows: output=openglhq.

Sergm added important patches to the code base along with an updated patch so that "dosbox implements the MT-32 MIDI device as a separate compilation unit". The SDL dll files are also updated for full compatibility with the dosbox binary.

Edit: outdated binary removed, see the parent post instead.

Last edited by truth_deleted on 2014-06-24, 01:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 15, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Attached build of DOSBox SVN-r3858 with MUNT mt32 emulation (GitHub; as of 6/1/14), also includes OpenGL-HQ (OHQ) mode and OGG cuesheet capability. Compiled by mingw32/gcc4.6.2. Instructions in parent post on how to activate mt32 midi in games (mididevice=mt32; ROM files). Also, to activate OHQ mode, set output=openglhq in dosbox.conf file.

Sergm kindly provided updates today to further improve the reverb model.

Edit: further improvements to the reverb model (6/7/14) and updated dosbox to r3859 (6/7/14). These updates are in the attached "update-1.zip" archive. Download "dosbox-SVN+MT32.zip" and replace its dosbox.exe with the one in update-1.zip. Verify the modified date of dosbox.exe is 6/8/14.

Edit 2: additional improvements to reverb model (6/15/14). These included in dosbox.exe in update-2.zip. Add this dosbox.exe file to those files in dosbox-SVN+MT32.zip.

Edit 3: the updated binary was moved to the parent post.

Reply 9 of 15, by truth_deleted

User metadata

(Removed) build of DOSBox SVN-r3871 with MUNT mt32 emulation (GitHub; as of 10/26/14), also includes OpenGL-HQ (OHQ) mode and OGG cuesheet capability.

Edit: I removed a line about the synth renderer, but please see author's post below for correct information on a recent change to the emulation. 😀

Edit2: Please see the top post for an updated binary.

Last edited by truth_deleted on 2014-12-21, 23:14. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 10 of 15, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested and works on a Win98SE box.

Side note: DOSBox patch currently ignores newly added variable sample rate capability, TBU. Nevertheless, the change in the high-freq spectra should be noticeable in the compatibility mode (well, if you want it to be noticed heh).

Reply 12 of 15, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I rarely use DosBox as I prefer to use real hardware but have recently installed it on my main modern PC. My question is, inside dosbox.conf using the settings in the first post, do I need to insert anything after this line: midiconfig= ? Also regarding the line: mt32.romdir=, do I just point this line to my directory where MT32_Control.ROM and MT32_PCM.ROM are stored for example; mt32.romdir=C:\DOSBOX?

Lastly, is there anything else required besides putting the 2 Rom files in the DosBox directory and editing the dosbox.conf file to get MT-32 emulation working within DosBox?

Reply 13 of 15, by truth_deleted

User metadata

The above binary is not supported, it is for testing only. Instead, obtain the official MUNT version here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/. It has a Windows installation package for ease of setup and includes the MT-32 emulation which is available to vanilla dosbox.

If you have questions about the official MUNT software package, then I'm sure someone will guide you through the routine installation procedure, but create a separate thread with abundant details.