VOGONS

Ultimate PowerVR SGL card/rig/games?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 64, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Many thanks; it is good to finally see results. A shame that those demos don't work...

How does the card run Ultimate Race? Does the game run with the fancy shadows on the cars?

There is no shadows at all.

The detail settings:
Ultimate_Race_-_settings_-_Neon250_bios_01.116_driver_4.11.01.png

The demo:
Ultimate_Race_-_demo_-_Neon250_bios_01.116_driver_4.11.01.10055.png

The same as with v3.1.1.36 (4.11.01.10035) and v3.1.1.101 (4.11.01.10055) drivers,
but with v3.2.1.2 (4.11.01.10079) driver the Ultimate Race cannot start it writes:
"One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found."
"The SGL.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem."

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 41 of 64, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gona, can you try any of the games that VoodooMan tried which didn't work for you previously? Like Nightmare Creatures and MDK?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 42 of 64, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gona wrote:
There is no shadows at all. […]
Show full quote
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Many thanks; it is good to finally see results. A shame that those demos don't work...

How does the card run Ultimate Race? Does the game run with the fancy shadows on the cars?

There is no shadows at all.

The detail settings:
Ultimate_Race_-_settings_-_Neon250_bios_01.116_driver_4.11.01.png

The demo:
Ultimate_Race_-_demo_-_Neon250_bios_01.116_driver_4.11.01.10055.png

The same as with v3.1.1.36 (4.11.01.10035) and v3.1.1.101 (4.11.01.10055) drivers,
but with v3.2.1.2 (4.11.01.10079) driver the Ultimate Race cannot start it writes:
"One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found."
"The SGL.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem."

Again, thanks.

Very interesting.

That confirms what I suspected- No infinite planes support, no dynamic shadows.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 43 of 64, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

Gona, can you try any of the games that VoodooMan tried which didn't work for you previously? Like Nightmare Creatures and MDK?

I will retest all PowerSGL titles I have tested before. 😀

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 44 of 64, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Again, thanks.

Very interesting.

That confirms what I suspected- No infinite planes support, no dynamic shadows.

You are welcome! It was a good idea to test it with Ultimate Race! 😀

Reply 45 of 64, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would add to the working list the following games:

Quake 1 (MiniGL)
0e7f7235af32.bmp

Hexen II (MiniGL)
8b64983d5aa7.bmp

Quake 3 Arena (Techland SGL miniGL)
602f27b41c10.jpg

Crime Cities (Techland SGL miniGL)
02e69a28801f.jpg

Unreal
9484cb1711e7.jpg

Unreal Tournament
d72bd4d5e940.jpg

Die By the Sword
cc95979a6c66.jpg

The Fifth Element
51df7c784e24.jpg

Ultimate Race Pro
61b4923df13f.jpg

I confirm that Tower 4 and Tower 5 Demos refuse to work.

So far I did not manage to run:
-Sub Culture
-Mechwarrior 2

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 46 of 64, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting that the alpha channel is inverted on Techland MiniGL with the PVR2...

*notes down on things to fix

Also is that UT shot in Direct3D or PowerVR SGL? (looks D3D to me) Be sure to uncomment sgldrv.int's lines to activate the driver, and maybe use KernelEx if it doesn't work.

Ultim@te Race Pro is Direct3D fyi, done when Direct3D matured enough

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 47 of 64, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Also is that UT shot in Direct3D or PowerVR SGL? (looks D3D to me) Be sure to uncomment sgldrv.int's lines to activate the driver, and maybe use KernelEx if it doesn't work.

Well, I sm not so sure about that... I deleted those slashes in the sgldrv.int file, I can now choose the option "Power SGL for Windows" the game starts with that option but it is still rather slow even in low resolutions. When I check in the game options the Video Driver it says "VideoDriverClassName" - So I cannot be sure whether it is D3D or SGL working. How Can I fix that?

I would also try to play Serious Sam and MDK2, how did you get it working?

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 48 of 64, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it doesn't look like this then it's not working. Also low resolution SGL (320x240) should be ~60fps+ on PCX2 at least, and VideoDriverClassName usually is a sign of it not actually loading the driver, hence my suggestion for using KernelEx to load the game since it's a mysterious workaround.

I got MDK2 to work by naming the techland sgl minigl as 3dfxvgl.dll then putting that in Windows/SYSTEM, as MDK2 is a picky one that strictly uses drivers from the Windows System folder.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 49 of 64, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have to say, VoodooMan, seeing your posts regarding your Neon so soon on the heels of your "I threw away all these cards" post made me also suspect this as some sort of prank. But I talked myself out of it by asking myself "why would anyone bother to do that?..."

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 50 of 64, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

If it doesn't look like this then it's not working. Also low resolution SGL (320x240) should be ~60fps+ on PCX2 at least, and VideoDriverClassName usually is a sign of it not actually loading the driver, hence my suggestion for using KernelEx to load the game since it's a mysterious workaround.

I got MDK2 to work by naming the techland sgl minigl as 3dfxvgl.dll then putting that in Windows/SYSTEM, as MDK2 is a picky one that strictly uses drivers from the Windows System folder.

Thanks! I see on your video that you use the non-GOTY edition. I use the GOTY edition, I am not sure if that is the case but perhaps I should try the "clean" edition as well?

On this video you can see the Video Driver name: "PowerVR SGL for Widnows".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJYCFi2GPrw But I have no idea what edition that is.

The problem is that I do not kow how to use that KernelEx?

I will try that trick with MDK2 this Sunday 😀
What about Serios Sam? you use the same trick?

Stiletto wrote:

I have to say, VoodooMan, seeing your posts regarding your Neon so soon on the heels of your "I threw away all these cards" post made me also suspect this as some sort of prank. But I talked myself out of it by asking myself "why would anyone bother to do that?..."

Yeah, I know it was stupid... but it was fun as well ;P

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 51 of 64, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote:

Thanks! I see on your video that you use the non-GOTY edition. I use the GOTY edition, I am not sure if that is the case but perhaps I should try the "clean" edition as well?

On this video you can see the Video Driver name: "PowerVR SGL for Widnows".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJYCFi2GPrw But I have no idea what edition that is.

See Re: 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

d1stortion wrote:

Unreal 224v patch breaks SGL support (PowerVR question still appears at startup, but renderer falls back to software). Assuming that this is intentional, 221 beta is the last version with official SGL support, if this list is complete. Unreal Gold lacks SGL completely.

Kernelex causes it to work on all vanilla versions.

Can you see which version GOTY is? My guess is that it's rather new, possibly the latest version.

Reply 52 of 64, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got UT Demo working with PowerVR SGL support on my Neon250. Take a look at the pictures: SGL, Software and D3D renderer.

d865d3e2c9d4.jpg

c2f802ccdcaf.jpg

24bce24594d1.jpg

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 53 of 64, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the big delay, I was busy.
I have finished the retest and the older Neon 250 bios (Rev 01.116) is better for PowerSGL than the last one (Rev 2.01i):

Neon250_PowerSGL_test.png

Reply 54 of 64, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can confirm and add to the working list:

Actua Soccer 2

Die by the Sword

The Fifth Element

Hardwar

Metal Fatigue

MDK

Motorhead

Nightmare Creatures

Star Trek The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

Ultim@te Race Pro

Unreal
Unreal Tournament
Wheel of Time
Rune
Deus Ex

Crime Cities (Techland SGL miniGL)
Half-Life (SGL miniGL)
Hexen II (SGL miniGL)
Quake (SGL miniGL)
Quake II (SGL miniGL)

Games that did not work so far:

Sub Culture

Mechwarrior 2: PowerVR edition

Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business

CyberTroopers: Virtual On

Interstate 76 Gold (has to be tested once again)

POD (has to be tested once again)

Games to be still tested:

3D Shooting Maker

A Train No. 5

Actua Club Soccer
Actua Golf 2 -
Actua Ice Hockey
Actua Soccer
Actua Tennis

Buggy

Enigma

FIFA Soccer 98: Road to the World Cup

Flight Unlimited

Hardcore 4x4

Moon Racer

Nirgends

PureVex

ReLoaded

Revolte!

Resident Evil

TNN Outdoor Pro Hunter

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 55 of 64, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you encountered the problems Gona mentioned in his post with MDK, Ultimate Race Pro and Metal Fatigue? Also have you actually tested Rune and Deus Ex? PowerSGL support is not official in those games and is a bit buggy.
EDIT: Nvm Ultimate Race Pro, I can see it is missing fog in the screenshot you provided.¨

If Actua Soccer 2 works, then there is a big chance Acta Ice Hockey and Actua Golf 2 also will work as they use the same engine. Actua Soccer and Actua Club Soccer uses an earlier version and may not work.

Purevex, Moon Racer, FIFA and 4x4 exist as demo versions, you can find them in the list in my signature.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 56 of 64, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I had the same issues playing MDK. I did not notice in Metal Fatigue because I did not play that game long... I launched Rune and Deus EX with powerSGL support - I am 100 percent sure of that, and they worked fine 😉 here some images of Rune WOT and UT:

20997e866788.bmp
9cf69c00a23b.jpg
1ef1d59901e5.jpg

I will test the games you mentioned when i find the time, thanks!

While testing some games I had the impression that they would normally run with the card but they didn't perhaps because of my lack of knowledge how to run them or maybe I just had the wrong version of the game... Still have to work on that 😉

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 57 of 64, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here’s a little comparison chart of Matrox M3D and Videologic Neon250. I ran those games with the support for PowerVR SGL. Testing machine was ABIT BE6-II @ Penrium 3 600 MHz. You can see that Matrox M3D is even 3 times slower in some cases...

SaVAOM.jpg

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 59 of 64, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

It looks like Neon 250 is only good for putting in a picture frame and hanging on the wall if it's game compatibility is so bad. 😢

On what basis are you making this statement?

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III