VOGONS

Common searches

Cannot type anything in DOSBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Donnavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found, joined, and posted in this forum for the first time today because of a problem I'm having in DOSBox. I have read the manual but I am not a tech savvy person, DOSBox only came to my attention because my brother-in-law bought me the Elders Scrolls complete series, which comes with DOSBox on the CD as part of installing arena and daggerfall.

When I open DOSBox I cannot type anything at all, nor can I use the function keys or any shortcuts. It's like my keyboard completely cuts out.

I am running Windows 7 on an Alienware Laptop, which is about as much technical information as I know how to give. I've updated the keyboard driver as one DOSBox video showed, but that hasn't resolved the problem. Could someone help me solve the problem with very small words and simple explanations? I am entirely at your mercy.

Reply 2 of 15, by Donnavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I appreciate you finding the page, but it doesn't seem to address a complete inability to use the keyboard while in DOSBox. I've opened DOSBox on it's own to make sure that it's not a problem with Arena or Daggerfall and even when none of the games are open, I cannot type anything or get any response from the keyboard except to ALT+Tab out.

Reply 5 of 15, by FbSaMg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently having the same problem as well. I'm going to put this bit of advice at the top instead of the bottom like I originally did, try running dosbox in compatibility mode for an older version of windows. It did not fix my problem, but did for another user. Else, follow what I did below to get the game running (though the issue still needs to be fixed.)

Here is what I did to get the game installed, you're going to open the location where DosBox is installed, and you're going to find the file called DOSBox 0.74 Options - Open that file and it will bring you into notepad. Scroll all the way to the bottom of that document and locate where it says [autoexec]. Then, make it look like this :
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
Mount c C:\dosbox -freesize 1000
mount d c:\dosbox\Daggerfall\dfcd -t cdrom -label Daggerfall
d:
install

(the mounting will vary depending on your install location, my dosbox folder is located on the c drive.)
Save the file and then run dosbox. This will take you through the install, tell it you agree, install the game to your hard drive, just install to the c drive that it prompts, and then when it comes to the sound card, DO NOT try to configure it. Since you need your keyboard it will not allow you to do anything once you're in there, so just skip it. It will bring you back to the black prompt screen that you won't be able to do anything with, alt tab out, and then exit the program.

Now, go back to your autoexec, and make it look like this:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
Mount c C:\dosbox -freesize 1000
c:\
cd dagger
fall.exe z.cfg

That will now run the program. However, mine is still being unresponsive, so it's kinda a crapshoot at this point. But I hope this gets you a little closer to solving your problem!

Reply 6 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FbSaMg wrote:

However, mine is still being unresponsive

Well, If you could get DOSBox to be responsive, you wouldn't need to do all that messing around with the [autoexec] section, now would you? This is kind of like saying you couldn't get your car to start, but you managed to push it out of your driveway.

Maybe the patch discussed in http://www.gog.com/forum/general/dosbox_and_w … hscreen_tablets will help.

By the way, are you using the version of DOSBox downloaded from the DOSBox website, or some copy from this mysterious CD?

Reply 7 of 15, by Quadko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm also suspicious about the autoexec lines - if dosbox is running a program that "does nothing" (because it crashes, or because it takes an hour to launch) the behavior would be what you say. There is even a remote possibility that a program changed the text color to black before quitting and dosbox is working fine, you just can't see the text! 😀 In that case, you can type EXIT and press the enter key to close dosbox. (Dosbox doesn't come with the mode command, does it? I forget. That was how to fix the problem back in '86. mode co80, as I recall.)

I'd definitely second the recommendation to download the real version of dosbox as indicated; but if you want to play with the unknown cd version, you might try copying dosbox (and support dlls) to another location like the desktop and running it from there. In that case, make sure you DON'T COPY the dosbox.config file, just use dosbox defaults. If it works, then the problem is either dosbox.config or something with the location itself. If it doesn't work, it's probably a messed up/corrupted copy of dosbox, definitely redownload at that point. And if a new download has the problem... then we know something else and can try to help with that.

Reply 8 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Quadko wrote:

I'm also suspicious about the autoexec lines - if dosbox is running a program that "does nothing" (because it crashes, or because it takes an hour to launch) the behavior would be what you say.

Mr. FbSaMg appears to be referring to an automated installation program that returns to the DOS prompt (which remains unresponsive to keyboard input) when it finishes, and not to a program that "does nothing".

Reply 9 of 15, by Quadko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, but OP seemed to have a similar CD that did nothing - that's why I suspect his CD had autoexec lines with problem programs. I know the Dosbox/SDL keyboard layer can have problems with input (for example, my laptop ]\ keys don't work correctly until I remap them, but desktop keyboards work fine), so it's possible a laptop has a very weird keyboard and no keys work, but that wouldn't be my first guess.

Too bad we can't right-click with mouse and paste text as keyboard input, or otherwise fill the keyboard buffer by some trick, it might clarify some of these issues and separate dosbox itself from input problems. Oh, well. 😀 I'd also like it to "quick setup" the games that make me type 4 for vga and 2 for soundblaster each time I run them, but that's a whole different issue.

But if the keyboard works fine for Mr. FbSaMg untl the install program exists to dos, then no more keyboard, that is interesting as well. That probably means the program/game hooked the keyboard, but wasn't able to restore dosbox's usual keyboard processing as it exited. Assuming the program/game works in dos (probably does, but should be tested), that could be a real emulation issue of some sort. Then I'd agree it's a minor but irritating bug in DosBox.

All that to say, Mr. FbSaMg - are you running this on a laptop or with an "unusual" keyboard? Everyone with this issue, can you plug in a desktop usb keyboard to your laptop/computer having the issue issue instead of the normal keyboard you use, and does that fix the issue? That could separate out any keyboard Dosbox/SDL mapping issues and clarify the problem.

Reply 10 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm you could use Autoit or Autohotkey to type things in Dosbox without actually typing anything

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 15, by selderekcol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First post because I have installed DOSBox .74 direct from the site in order to install and run Wings of Glory (1994 cdrom). My problem is the same...My keyboard is not recognized by DOSBox. I attempted to change the keyboard in the config file from "keyboard=auto" to each of the other US keyboard types mentioned in a separate post on this forum - no luck. I made DOSBox run in Windows 7 compat mode (I run Windows 8.1), but still no luck. If anyone has had any luck in getting a Dell Inspiron 660s keyboard to be recognized in DOSBox, please post a reply. Thanks for the help.

Reply 12 of 15, by Quadko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When you say "not recognized", do you mean nothing will type into the z:\> prompt, or some keys are wrong? Does DOSBox sit there open at the z:\> prompt, or does it close itself? And finally, do you have the option to borrow another keyboard and temporarily plug it in to see if it makes a difference?

Reply 13 of 15, by selderekcol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply...I mean that no key from my keyboard is recognized - not a single keystroke, and I have tried them all in sequence...DOSBox just sits with the cursor blinking at the Z: prompt...I have one other keyboard, a wireless, that I will try to use today to see if that solves the issue and will report back. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Reply 14 of 15, by riverrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this same problem. im running a dell 960 running windows 7 pro. dosbox just sits at the z< prompt. keyboard will not work . i have tried everything i have read on here.nothing helps. i have an xp computer using the same keyboard & mouse and it works great. ive tried 2 different keyboards. the only key that will do anything is the windows key. it will take me out of full screen and then my mouse will work until i click in the game window then nothing until i hit the windows key again