VOGONS

Reply 40 of 56, by zaphod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got the font to default in the secondary display.

Putting 'Forced' worked. Too bad there isn't a normal1.5x :p 2 is a little too big... but at least I know how to make it big if I need to see something in detail. it looks like I might be able to use windowsresolution or change the output from surface as well.. i'll have to mess with it a little

i'll try the ctrl-f10 to lock or unlock the mouse.. I suppose I need to set autolock=false to get it to work the way you describe

Thanks a ton for your help with all this ripsaw! it works amazingly well!

Reply 41 of 56, by zaphod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I changed output to overlay and then I was able to use windowsresolution to fine tune the size of the dosbox windows. It works great, I can put in all kinds of weird screen resolutions like 900x675 or even 904x678

I can't seem go get around mouse-weirdness when task switching out then back in if I'm under a win XP VM but the issue there seems more to be with virtualbox not re-capturing the mouse and keeping it captive with mouse integration shut off in windowed mode... It works better in full screen with mouse integration shut off, but works best just under windows 7 or on a windows xp computer. The white text on the windows 7 computer is really very readable, and less annoying than the mouse weirdness

Reply 42 of 56, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Have you tried double quotes around the color part of the parameter? It works the same with or without the quotes in WinXP, both in the command shell and in shortcuts, but maybe it will help in Win7. If not, you can always compile the source.

dosbox.exe -display2 "green"

Reply 43 of 56, by zaphod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I did try the double quotes both using a command shell and in the shortcut, and it is still white in windows 7.

I wouldn't mind trying to modify the source and re-compile it. I had a look at the .diff file and I can see in there where the arguments are read and the colors are set. I downloaded the source dor dosbox from here, but thats as far as I got.. I notice in the readme that there are some libraries I need to get from somewhere else and patch them on my own or something, and then I don't know what to use to compile it with. I have a ubuntu VM running and I think I can use 'patch' to patch the source files, and I downloaded mingw, but there I am just lost.. I get just a prompt and no idea what to do to compile something. I'm not sure if thats the best thing to use, I just saw it listed in a post somewhere. I tried doing searches on here of how to do it and see a ton of posts that read something like 'well, it's complicated, so get someone else to do it' Just to confuse things further, it looks like the source I downloaded contains way more stuff than is really needed to compile it, besides missing some things that I guess can't be distributed with it because of some licensing issue.

I would sure like to figure it out though!!

Reply 44 of 56, by zaphod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it does seem to be taking the "green" argument, because if I leave it off, I don't get a secondary display window, I just get the status window. I'm wondering if it is something about the windows 7 console that makes it always white..

Reply 45 of 56, by zaphod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it occurs to me that maybe I can replace the windows console with a different one, like console2.. but I can't seem to make console2 the default console, so dosbox always opens the windows one instead. any ideas ?

Reply 46 of 56, by sanglardf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has this feature ever been posted to the main repository ? I tried to start DosBox with the:

/Applications/DOSBox.app/Contents/MacOS/dosbox -display2 "green"

On Mac OS X, DosBOX 0.74 but only one window appeared. I see in the thread the patch was originally developed on Windows and ported to Linux but I am not sure it was ported to Mac or removed since 2012.

Reply 48 of 56, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ripsaw8080,

Saw this today and thought of your patch:
https://forums.cncnet.org/index.php?topic=6004.0

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 51 of 56, by tzabinic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I tried to patch the diff on dosbox-0.74-2 by using git apply --ignore-space-change --ignore-whitespace, this was my output:

../../../display2_active2.diff:185: trailing whitespace.
static void DISP2_ResizeConsole( HANDLE hConsole, SHORT xSize, SHORT ySize ) {
../../../display2_active2.diff:186: trailing whitespace.
CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO csbi; // Hold Current Console Buffer Info
../../../display2_active2.diff:187: trailing whitespace.
BOOL bSuccess;
../../../display2_active2.diff:188: trailing whitespace.
SMALL_RECT srWindowRect; // Hold the New Console Size
../../../display2_active2.diff:189: trailing whitespace.
COORD coordScreen;
error: patch failed: gui/sdlmain.cpp:1803
error: gui/sdlmain.cpp: patch does not apply
error: patch failed: shell/shell_cmds.cpp:914
error: shell/shell_cmds.cpp: patch does not apply
error: patch failed: hardware/Makefile.am:10
error: hardware/Makefile.am: patch does not apply
error: dosbox.vcproj: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

Reply 52 of 56, by boskar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I was given a very niche software which was running and being used on production until last year using DOS dual screen MDA/VGA solution, on physical MDA card, w86855AF to be precise.

I try to migrate it to dosbox/dosbox-x but so far no luck - the "secondary display" output is messy, with incorrect characters. On the other hand it is responding to keyboard input (something changes there).
As far as i remember it running there were no graphic being rendered there, just text-mode tables for data input selection.

I was unable to pick a color in the secondary window - it remains gray. I'm a Linux user, first I tried with dosbox-x (own compilation) → MDA was in the invoking terminal, but in mixed with debug output, I've gave up and tried windows dosbox patched version - I've got two windows, both gray.
I'm able to switch the terminals with mode mono and mode co80, the software is starting but the secondary display is just rendered wrong. Maybe I need to load some fonts?

Reply 53 of 56, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The colour of the terminal output by default is indeed grey. But you can set it to green or amber using e.g.,
dosbox-x -display2 amber

And then type in dosbox-x:
mode mono

And you should see a dos prompt in amber on the terminal.

Be sure to set your terminal to 80x25 (most default to 80x24), or you may have some placement issues.

As to the font issue, I don't have an answer. Indeed if you run something that uses for instance the DOS box drawing symbols you get the unicode question marks in the terminal.

I tried to solve it, by creating a ~/.fonts directory and copying the TTF fonts from the dosbox-x/contrib/fonts directory to that, and restarting Gnome Terminal. After that I could select one of the 3 TTF fonts in Gnome Terminal, and the fonts indeed changed in the output, but the unicode question marks remained. I'm fairly certain those fonts have the box drawing characters, so I'm guessing that codepage to unicode mapping is simply not working for the second output.

Reply 54 of 56, by boskar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again,

I've made this software running on physical hardware, It does profit from Hercules features on the second screen, therefore no way to run it without full hercules/VGA emulation.
Thank You anyway

Reply 55 of 56, by cleansugar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to make EGA's partial screen area pixels emulation?
Is it possible to read A000~AFFF with TSR program without EGA card, and TSR copies A000~AFFFF to RAM, and copies that RAM address to Hercules card area?
Someone says it is impossible cause of memory bank swithing. then are there someone describe what it is in detail?
EGA/VGA card simulation on Hercules mono graphic card?

Reply 56 of 56, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cleansugar wrote on 2023-01-31, 13:50:

Is it possible to make EGA's partial screen area pixels emulation?

No.

Is it possible to read A000~AFFF with TSR program without EGA card, and TSR copies A000~AFFFF to RAM, and copies that RAM address to Hercules card area?

No.

Someone says it is impossible cause of memory bank swithing. then are there someone describe what it is in detail?
EGA/VGA card simulation on Hercules mono graphic card?

No. You got that wrong.

Besides, posting the same question on a different thread won't change the answer.
The typical Hercules-equipped PC has 640KiB of system RAM.
That equals ten full 64KiB blocks. The 64KiB segment at A000h would be block number eleven.
Trying to read from the 11th 64KiB RAM block of a machine that only has 10 is like trying to play the third side of a vinyl record.
It just doesn't work.