VOGONS

First post, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apologies if this is off topic here, but I thought folks might be interested in this. I've been trying to run several old Blizzard games on Mac OS 9.2 with mixed results:

1) Warcraft 2: Battle.net Edition: No problems. Installs, connects to B.net, patches itself and runs perfectly.

2) Diablo 2 + expansion: Installs, connects to B.net, patches itself, but then cannot reconnect. Something to do with being unable to verify the client version. The single player game runs fine.

3) StarCraft + expansion: Installs but cannot connect to B.net at all. Same error as Diablo 2. No problems with (unpatched) single player game.

4) Warcraft 3 + expansion: Installs, connects to B.net, patches itself, but the wrong executable is then installed for the expansion (Frozen Throne). It appears to be the OS X version. This means the expansion can no longer be run after the update. No problems with basic WC3 (Reign of Chaos).

There might be something wrong with my setup but I doubt it. I assume Blizzard just doesn't care about the Classic OS anymore.

Last edited by 2fort5r on 2014-09-10, 07:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Given that you have asked in the Mac Emulation thread are we to assume that you are using, Basilisk?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 6, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can a mod move it to the right place?

I also got hold of a copy of the original WarCraft game. It reminded me of SimCity, particularly the road-building aspect. Think of SimCity but with Orcs smashing up your city instead of Godzilla.

And does anyone play WC2 multiplayer? The B.net channels are deserted. I assume this is how StarCraft will be in a few years, which is sad.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 5 of 6, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why don't you try to run DOS Warcraft 2 with DOSBox ? It does exist for Mac aswell...

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

Why don't you try to run DOS Warcraft 2 with DOSBox ? It does exist for Mac aswell...

It does (for OS X), but it is quite slow. Emulating a DOS machine isn't as easy there.

For example, older Power Macs were thinking in BigEndian mode (DOS PCs use LittleEndian).
Now, the PowerMac was also able to switch to LittleEndian mode, but it wasn't until the G3 that this switching actually worked.

Speaking of G3, there was a nice, albeit a bit slow, port of DOSBox for MacOS X.
If you want, try it yourself.

DOSBox 0.72 for G3 (archived)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140908120224/ht … box_0.72_for_g3

Edit: Just noticed that the download link is dead. 🙁
I am glad I still had that file on my ol' Mac. I hope it is okay to attach it here.
For the two or three people who may still need it.. It is based on an OpenSource project, after all.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-0.72_g3-only.dmg.zip
    File size
    1.01 MiB
    Downloads
    187 downloads
    File comment
    DOSBox 0.72 for G3
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//