Pył, Pyl, Dust English language version

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 117, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Medyk87 wrote:

The game is called Pył‚ or Dust in English. Its a great polish FPP shooter from the 1998. In my opinion its one of the best I ever played, and I played a lot of them.

Ayreon wrote:

i've played the game years ago and I can definetly say that its worth the effort. Too bad that there is no english version ( or is it? )

As you see opinions may vary 😀
game was not known as there was no english version at that time.
Game was revolutionary in many ways at the day of release and i think it still is even now.

Reply 21 of 117, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I've finally got around to playing this game for real. I tried it on DOSBox, but it performs pretty badly so I just installed it on my K6-3+ and Voodoo 3 and it is mostly silky smooth.

I've only reached the 3rd level (how many levels does it have in its entirety btw?), but so far it is a one of a kind game. Its theme heavily reminds me of Metro 2033 and the soundtrack is soothing and nostalgic. Obviously, it has its drawbacks, I'm not especially fond of the trial&error approach to a lot of death traps and other hazards that are there just to catch newcomers off guard.

Robertmo, while your english translation is not the greatest, I would very much like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to play this little gem. I doubt I would have even bothered as not even the menus are in English in the original release! It seems like developers from the former Eastern bloc always have the most amazing ideas and designs. 😊

Also, does anybody have a way of obtaining a legal copy of this game from anywhere online?

Reply 22 of 117, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pył is being converted to Unity Engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_ … d&v=V0ehfC5Yx4c

More info:
http://pyl1998.wordpress.com/dust-1998-201x/

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 24 of 117, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Also, does anybody have a way of obtaining a legal copy of this game from anywhere online?

Oddly enough, I have an original CD of that game. My dad once brought it home one day so presumably it was given to him by a friend (As far as I remember, there was never a box of this game in my house).

I played it only one time when I was a kid and quickly shut it off as I didn't like the horror genre (and I still don't), and on top of that, one of the first enemies you encounter were spider-like creatures, which I can't tolerate.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to part with it, though. It's not anything special these days but if I let it sit for, say, 30 years, it might become quite a rare gem.

Anyway, you can get it on www.allegro.pl, which is a Polish equivalent of e-bay. There are two copies of the game available on there right now. Unfortunately, only one of the people who have it there agree to international shipping. Here's a link to it, if you are interested:

http://allegro.pl/pyl-polski-jezyk-na-pc-skle … 4566642619.html

The price is 10 PLN, which is 3.09 US Dollars. Mind you, if you don't live in Poland, international shipping might set you back quite a lot of dough, depending on where you live (I think...)

If you decide to go for it and you want to contact the person selling it, I can help you with translation, as I'm Polish.

Reply 25 of 117, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey thanks! I'll consider it, I live in Greece so postage for a CD-ROM shouldn't be too much. My main grudge is that I know this was released in a big box, so I'll probably try to get a fully boxed copy.

Reply 26 of 117, by civilmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys!

I'm one of the creators of Dust game and I'm currently working on conversion of it to Unity Engine. It is always very nice to hear that somebody outside our country plays this game 😀 Thank you.

Game Was oryginally preapred to be multilingual, you can even run, as I remember, with some command line parameters, english version but not all texts in game were translated. Generally only few of them. So many thanks to guy who made a english patch for this game.

For now, conversion will include Polish, English & Russian versions.

Best regards
cm

Reply 28 of 117, by civilmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Yeah, progress is good, taking into account that I work on it after hours 😀 You can see it on my blog pyl1998.wordpress.com. News are in Polish only but you can see movies that I recorded.

Currently all map data - game logic, graphics, meshes are imported to Unity. I have writen tons of lines of code to make this conversion possible (I have started in 2007). Firstly I was working with Ogre 3D engine but I found that it will take too mutch time to write own game engine with Ogre 3D. I have written also about 70% of logic scripts in Unity scripting language (most of that code is rewritten from my old game engine but I have to takie into consideration different context). Now I have to rewrite AI code, player code and put all puzzles together 😀

Best regards
CM

Reply 29 of 117, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I'm pretty close to actually beating the game, I reckon at least 😜. Anyway, I recorded two of my favorite pieces of music from the game and also created a SoundCloud account to upload them on. You can check it out here if you'd like:

https://soundcloud.com/garrett-weaving/sets/pyl-dust

EDIT: I beat it today 😀. Very pleasant experience. I sat down and recorded four more tracks for your pleasure, bringing the total up to six! These are my absolute favorites from the game.

Last edited by F2bnp on 2015-08-30, 23:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 117, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

Never heard of it. was pyl/dust a well known game back in the day?

It was PL only, so - well known in Poland maybe.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 33 of 117, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure about that? I remember dying a lot, but it never got any easier 🤣 .

Also, I still need to find a copy of this game, I should have grabbed that jewel case all those years ago 🙁.

Reply 37 of 117, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe wrong topic?

Can someone confirm?

Windows98 dgVoodoo and Glidos = black screen (Voodoo2 and Voodoo3 tested by me its okay)
WindowsXP NTVDM Glidos = Intros Menu etc, mouse locked at center, can't start new game. Vdos32 not work, and just once i somehow pressed to start new game and its freezes with black screen.

So only way to use wrapper is trough DOSBox variations?
Any other dos emulators? or virtual machines? That producing more CPU speed than regular dosbox?

I tried Oracle VirtualBox with Windows 98 for:
Chasm The Rift 640x480 (seems no slowdown)
Blood 1280x1024 (seems no slowdowns)
Quake 1280x1024 with d_mipscale 0 and d_mipcap 0 (oh wow again very stable fast fps)

Host CPU AMD FX8
Problem is that win98 can't find drivers for (videocard)d3d and sound not working correctly

So if VirtualBox become support better virtualization/emulation of VideoCards/AudioCards wow that will be great.
i think it be fast for Pyl.

And also great idea to make Hybrid Emulation/Wrapper/Virtualization:
i mean for old games and OS'es is more critical Video/Audio cards than rest??

CPU Virtualized (like VirtualBox) VideoCard emulated inside of virtualbox (for guest) , outside it get wrapped to other API
Audio Emulated.

about PCem - great emulator, only if someone can speedup it by implementing CPU Virtualization like in VirtualBox, but it not in concept of PCem.

i feel QEMU 3DFX Pass thru something that i thinking about, just not explained well how to use it

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 38 of 117, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaVeN-05 wrote:
I tried Oracle VirtualBox with Windows 98 for: Chasm The Rift 640x480 (seems no slowdown) Blood 1280x1024 (seems no slowdowns) […]
Show full quote

I tried Oracle VirtualBox with Windows 98 for:
Chasm The Rift 640x480 (seems no slowdown)
Blood 1280x1024 (seems no slowdowns)
Quake 1280x1024 with d_mipscale 0 and d_mipcap 0 (oh wow again very stable fast fps)

I guess you played those games with software rendering. Pyl software rendering works very well with accelerated QEMU, too, so I think the same would apply for VirtualBox. Any CPU less than 5 years old with over 3GHz should be able to run any legacy games with native software rendering at full speed. Even Unreal 1 software rendering can do over 30fps at 640x480 in accelerated QEMU.

Reply 39 of 117, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

Some time ago I asked them whether they would like to release some other game i translated. They said no problem if I got the rights for that game 😉

The case of Pył‚ seems to be funny as it appears the company that made it owns gog's owner for a year now 😉

But for now Pył‚ is not handled properly neither by gulikoza's patch (messed up textures), nor glidos (jerky mouse), nor nglide (too low view distance of enemies and objects and also lights shinning through walls), nor dosbox's wd/kekko's voodoo->opengl (damn slow lens effect of a scope mode - it can be turned of in game's config file but not for night mode). Actually even in plain dosbox sound breaks with this game with too low cycles. And not enough cycles may be the most important problem after all above are solved. Well maybe computers will handle it till the time above problems are solved 😉

Have you tried dgVoodoo2? It also has support for the Glide family of APIs, and its creator, Dege, frequents this very site.