VOGONS

Free Use / Open Source Question - DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by jsholm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To whom it may concern, I feel I have diligently searched this site for the following information but was unable to find a conclusive answer; apologizes if I overlooked and or missed my answer. I work in the information technology department of the the Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla Missouri and we have a faculty member that wishes to continue to use Microsoft Quick Basic 4.5 (Compiler). They have a legal copy of the aforementioned software and we found that DosBox works wonderfully with Quick Basic 4.5. I wanted to confirm that we would not be violating any agreements with DosBox by using the software for academic purposes? Due to Microsoft discontinuing support for Windows XP I feel this is the next best option. Thank-you in advance for your assistance. Have a wonderful day!

Jason S. Holm

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's GPL so...
BUT DOSBox is NOT recommended for anything but games.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GPL is absolute, it makes no restrictions on how you use the software, but imposes responsibilities if you wish to use/modify the code.

DOSBOX is designed around the features required for games - it is not intended to be a 100% complete DOS environment, so anything else may find some missing features.

Another alternative may be dual booting into Freedos - that way, you would be in a real dos environment, instead of an emulated one.

Reply 3 of 3, by jsholm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank-you for the replies; I understand the risk and at least for the moment things seems to be going well within DosBox. I just wanted to make 100% sure academic use was allowed and being GPL I feel comfortable pursuing the DosBox option...for thirty year old software (QB 4.5) I feel this is a reasonable option for the user in question.

For what it is worth to whomever may find this thread in the future; Quick Basic 4.5 seems to run well within DosBox, including programs that generate graphics!

Thank-you again for your input! 😀

qb45_code.png
Filename
qb45_code.png
File size
47.8 KiB
Views
File comment
QB 4.5 Running
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
qb45_run.png