VOGONS

Reply 81 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Oh 😒

It's not a gaming 486, but it's pretty interesting!

AFAIK, there is only one other video on Youtube about a PPC PReP system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bxJIA8hscI

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 82 of 132, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Oh 😒

It's not a gaming 486, but it's pretty interesting!

AFAIK, there is only one other video on Youtube about a PPC PReP system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bxJIA8hscI

Well yours is definitely the better one 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 83 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Episode 25 is live! First video of 2014!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q16vO4kI1y0

I compare a few different versions of Thexder, one of my favourite games of all time.

Reply 84 of 132, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since you covered one of my favourite 80s games, I decided to take a look at your show again. :B

Compared to when you first started you've definitely improved a bit. The pauses you take between thoughts aren't as long as they once were, except for the one between starting on the Famicom version and saying "where do I begin?", which was a completely understandable and well timed pause. :B

Audio balance could still use a little work, mostly in terms of balancing when you're speaking versus when you're not speaking. The music section was much louder than the rest of the video, but for the rest the action in the background never overrode what you were trying to say.

Still not really my kind of show, but you're getting better and so long as you enjoy making these Retro Swim episodes, that's what ultimately matters. :)

Oh! Also, the flicker on the Apple IIgs version wasn't all that bad, though I imagine it was worse before you tried to make it less noticeable. In the future, if you ever need to film a CRT directly, try turning out all the lights so you can get away with recording with the brightness on the CRT reduced. Believe it or not, in Filler #6 of my own show, the parts where I'm showing the gameplay was recorded with my camera pointed at my TV! :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 85 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, the volume issue didn't become apparent until after I'd uploaded it and watched it ON Youtube for the first time. I remember you mentioned the volume issue last time you commented, but since then I've done mostly live action type videos, and the camera's mic captured my voice and other sounds in decent proportions, so I stopped thinking about it. Mistake #239847.

Anyhow, thanks so much for the kind words, it means a lot coming from someone of your calibre. 😀

Reply 86 of 132, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will check these movies soon, iam now in a stressed situation, (iam working to hard on my work) So my brains are to active now..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 87 of 132, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should note that Thexder also supports MCGA (if it detects a PS/2), which looks like the Tandy mode but with a modified palette that IMO looks better; there's also a little patch by ripsaw allowing it to be used together with the 3-voice Tandy music. :)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 88 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

I should note that Thexder also supports MCGA (if it detects a PS/2), which looks like the Tandy mode but with a modified palette that IMO looks better; there's also a little patch by ripsaw allowing it to be used together with the 3-voice Tandy music. 😀

Hmmmmm fascinating. Do you know if that mode can be accessed in DOSBox?

Edit: NM, found the thread.

Thexder EGA vs TANDY/PCjr mode <-- For those interested.

Reply 89 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hooray! Episode 26!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfoFuZ8Kvg

In this episode, extreme thrifting at LifeLine Bookfest.

Reply 91 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Holering wrote:

Good luck with your videos! Not a big fan of modding consoles, but this information is probably very useful for RGB users (especially Americans that never had RGB scart). Those that make arcade cabs and superguns, will most definitely benefit from this too. Great stuff!

Thanks man! 😀

The RGB stuff is just one or two episodes, there's lots of other goodies in the channel to check out!

Reply 92 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Episode 27 is live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdotvenfClw

In this episode, a look at the Toshiba T3200

Reply 93 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh man, I suck!!!

I've got 3 videos on the burner, all awaiting some critical pizzle piece before I can finish the projects, edit the videos, and upload.

I'm trying to make a new title card, but I have no imagination whatsoever.

Youtubing is hard. 🙁

But hopefully 3 new videos coming very soon:

- HP Protocol Analyzer total-conversion to DOSBox-Box.
- New gear haul, including Atari XEGS
- EB Games Expo 2014 coverage.

Reply 94 of 132, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:
Oh man, I suck!!! […]
Show full quote

Oh man, I suck!!!

I've got 3 videos on the burner, all awaiting some critical pizzle piece before I can finish the projects, edit the videos, and upload.

I'm trying to make a new title card, but I have no imagination whatsoever.

Youtubing is hard. :(

Work within your limits and set deadlines for yourself. If you can't do something at all on your own accord, outsource it to someone willing to do it cheap or for free. Keeping a schedule really helps too.

It's not really so much hard as it is just being focussed and doing things even when you're not fully committed, otherwise you end up with an erratic schedule and routinely miss getting things done. :P

For my Jazz Jackrabbit episode, I wanted to do this whole green-screen thing where I ended up getting sucked into Jazz's world, so I'd take out my guardian key tool and have it turn into an LFG, the same gun Jazz uses, and then blast my way through enemy hordes before rolling the credits, vowing to find my way out before Season 4 begins...

...but that would've taken about 10 times more effort to do, I would've been faced with audio difficulties given the acoustic properties of Dad's place, and I have no idea where my original Axis prop currently is. I know it's in a box somewhere, but I'd have to open nearly 20 or 30 boxes to find it. :P

Basically, I didn't have the time to do something like that. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 95 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All good tips man, but I'm starting to think fate/destiny/c'thulu/David Bowie doesn't want me to have a fun YT channel.

For example, I was all queued up to drop the HP hack video in early September, I had the monitor driver working smoothly, my FPGA kit arrived, I had the code worked out, but then foof, the CRT screen died spontaneously.

I thought that's OK, i'll drop my gear haul video instead. Video camera died.

I thought that's OK, I'l drop the EB video on the second weekend of October. Relative hospitalised, there goes that weekend.

It's fine. I don't many any money off the thing, and my wonky schedule is well-known to subscribers, the number of which still seems to go up week-to-week.

It's just frustrating, "best laid plans of mice and men" etc. But I'm done venting. Video this weekend folks!

Reply 96 of 132, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Happens to me as well! Things never work as planned with vintage hardware 🤣

But you got to enjoy it. If you're frustrated then it's not a fun hobby any more.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 97 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

But you got to enjoy it. If you're frustrated then it's not a fun hobby any more.

Amen to that.

Thankfully, the frustration of not being regular is outweighed by the sheer fun of making them and actually building/modding the stuff in the first place. 😀

Reply 98 of 132, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea. I've got a pretty streamlined process going and it doesn't take me long to produce a new video. Time is still my biggest issue though but my current goal is to do a video every day. No big ones, a sound recording for example or a benchmark of graphics card. Others I have planned will take a lot of planning and I just break it down in little tasks.

For example I'm working on a video about the AWE64 Gold and two days ago captured the 3D expansion feature. There is a lot more to do but if you break it down and do something every day you will make progress. The other challenge is "when do you stop" and when do people switch of and it becomes too detailed and tedious. So my newer videos are shorter and more to the point.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 99 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Episode 28 is live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLze-BfonI

My Mac Classic II "goes green". 😉