VOGONS

Reply 40 of 252, by Yvan256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
awgamer wrote:

If your card is still working, it would seem to follow it has retained the data.

I don't know if it's still working, but I do have a Tandy 1000 RLX, so I could test it with Ultima VI.

Unfortunately I'm busy with two other projects right now. I'll try to find a flatbed scanner to scan both sides of the card.

Reply 42 of 252, by Yvan256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
carlostex wrote:

It would be nice to have some high resolution pictures of the card for starters. Because there are none on the web right now.

The only thing I have is an old iPhone 3GS, I'm not sure that would qualify as high resolution pictures.

Reply 45 of 252, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

@Vetz

Have you received the AY-8930 chips you ordered?

Sent from China 12th of October. I have the tracking number. I should have them in approx 1 week.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 47 of 252, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Arrived to the domestic terminal. Should have it on Saturday. I'll take some closeups and post here. Then you guys can have a look and tell me if they are usable for this project.

I did order a couple of other things in this package (ASUS AV264+ 4MB, AWE32 CT3900, etc) and I held back on shipment to send it all in one package, so that is the reason for the long delivery time.

Reply 49 of 252, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No response I see.

Do they look OK compared to the originals? Are they "promising" enough for me to send them on?

Reply 50 of 252, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well, they are AY8930 , since on the 1st page here someone is reporting that this is indeed the sound chip I don't see anything wrong with them...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 51 of 252, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I asked Yvan to post a proper photo of the Covox Sound Master. But i'm sure it does use a AY-8930.

Those clones should be the same as the AY8930's on Covox cards, its actually probably that Covox used AY8930's from different manufacturers.

So yes they are "promising" enough. Are you going to send them to Yvan?

Reply 52 of 252, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

I asked Yvan to post a proper photo of the Covox Sound Master. But i'm sure it does use a AY-8930.

Those clones should be the same as the AY8930's on Covox cards, its actually probably that Covox used AY8930's from different manufacturers.

Good to hear. Yes, I'll send them on if he gives me his address 😀

Reply 53 of 252, by Yvan256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Covox Sound Master AY8930 closeup.jpeg
Filename
Covox Sound Master AY8930 closeup.jpeg
File size
159.47 KiB
Views
File comment
Covox Sound Master, close-up of the AY8930 IC
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 54 of 252, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

vetz's chips are no clones, they are the real deal
and Yvan256's picture confirms that they will work just fine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 55 of 252, by Yvan256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:
carlostex wrote:

Good to hear. Yes, I'll send them on if he gives me his address 😀

Would it be possible to send me the first one at the top of your photo? I can't remember if I'm getting one IC, two, three...?

Last edited by Yvan256 on 2014-10-20, 00:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 57 of 252, by Yvan256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
carlostex wrote:
Awesome!! […]
Show full quote

Awesome!!

@Keropi

Yep. Hopefully Yvan can trace the card and do some prototyping.

@Yvan

I thought he was gonna send you all five...

Possible... I'm juggling around six or seven projects right now, it's a bit hard to keep track of all the details. 😵

I'll even need to make a sub-project to try and see how the GAL16V8-25LNC is programmed. I may be able to know which pins are used as inputs and outputs depending on where they're connected, maybe some lines are hard-wired to VCC or GND, etc. Hey, it's 20-years-old tech, how hard could it be? 😉

Reply 59 of 252, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:
Awesome!! […]
Show full quote

Awesome!!

@Keropi

Yep. Hopefully Yvan can trace the card and do some prototyping.

@Yvan

I thought he was gonna send you all five...

Yes, I'll send him all five 😀 If this project sees a working product in the end one of the chips will go into my card I guess 😀