VGA Capture Thread

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 1396, by ShaiWa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Hmm... Knew I forgot something; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDNTA-59X0U

Wel finaly got a Avermedia ExtremeCap U3, did a capture of the same demo for comparison : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQYIPoIKuMI
Setting was : VGA out > KME LPT > ExtremeCap U3
The original video is 1280x1024 but Youtube did a little downscale tp 720P so the original is a bit better and smooth, got to learn how to upscale properly with Sony Vegas.

Did have a look at the Startech USB3HDCAP but was way out of my budget, is seems this capture device is using a CY3014 wich is the Xcapture-1 is also using if i'm correct.
Did have contact with their support if this device is supporting some old vga resolutions and got a reply that it will accept standard definitions, from 640x480 up to the max resolution supported (1080p) so thats much more than in the official specs on their site.
Hope there wil be some more reviews about that one in the future.

Reply 201 of 1396, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The main benefit of the ExtremeCap U3 is 1080p60. Could you try this feature? Maybe off another PC or video game console?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 202 of 1396, by ShaiWa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

True, unfortunately this scaler max resolution is 1600x1200 wich isn't supported so i had to use 1280x1024 and recorded it at 60fps.
Still looking for a 1080p scaler that fits into the budget but for now i'm 1080p60 future ready 😁
(owh i did have a lot of freeze problems with the ExtremeCap but after the firmware update all problems where gone)

Reply 204 of 1396, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a problem y'all might not have had before, but I thought I'd ask about it anyway.

I'm trying to get some capture from a PowerMacintosh G3 with an Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD. I'm unable to, and I believe the culprit is the refresh rate. The available video modes for the Mac (OS 8.6) includes 640x480@67Hz, and 1024x768 and up @ 75Hz. It doesn't look like the Aver ReCentral software is able to deal with those refresh rates. I can set the FPS manually as high as 60, but if I do that the program crashes, and becomes extremely unstable upon restart.

Reply 206 of 1396, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

🤣

What would you like to see? What CPU? What resolution?

CPU doesn't matter, this isn't for benchmarking but for 3dfx filter testing.

Try this pk3 as a mod in a Q3A isntallation. Must be run with r_mode 3 (640x480) and r_gamma 1 (no gamma correction at all)

BTW I took the sorceress pages out because they were pointless and bloated it up badly. and outdated. and because of that it bugs out after the last page since it doesn't really loop.

The page with the RGB gradients should be the most important page, since it should expose the filtering threshold. also try capturing that page with r_gamma 1.3 and 1.7 to see if that changes

RAW unresized png results appreciated 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    test2d.zip
    File size
    173.69 KiB
    Downloads
    126 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 208 of 1396, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AidanExamineer wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

Yes these resolutions are not supported.

Bummer. Now my game review is going to look like a Day 1 Cam Rip.

Footage[CAM][RiP][LOL][XviD][l33t].[TorrentFreaks].avi

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 209 of 1396, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
AidanExamineer wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

Yes these resolutions are not supported.

Bummer. Now my game review is going to look like a Day 1 Cam Rip.

Footage[CAM][RiP][LOL][XviD][l33t].[TorrentFreaks].avi

:C *sob*

non-60hz forcing games/hardware? (vs video capture)

Looks like Vetz was able to capture at 70Hz+ in the past with the same piece of hardware. Hmm, not sure why I can't bash it into shape.

Reply 210 of 1396, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to sync the image first.

Capturing below 640x480 resolutions and CGA/EGA on the Avermedia Gamebroadcaster HD

Another method is to use DVI output on the video card

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 212 of 1396, by ShaiWa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Just capture of something else that does 1080p60 like a modern PC with DVI > HDMI.

Didn't have another machine with DVI around but remembered having a Nvidia FX5200 somewhere but when i found it there where 2 capacitors leaking so i had to fix that problem.
After that fixed the card had default 1920x1080 60Hz output on the DVI in DOS (4:3 aspect ratio is gone ofcourse) but a demo like second reality was a bit slower, guess because of the 60Hz(?)
Windows 98SE was the other option but the card was clearly not designed for this resolution because it overheated very fast and it didn't have active cooling but today i got an FX5700LE with active cooling so that problem is solved.
Recorded 3DMark 2000 Demo at 1920x1080 at 60fps/40Mbps.
My system (AMD 1090T/870 chipset) is showing signs of aging, recording above 40Mbps is causing flaws in the capture despite of the dedicated SSD (Crystalmark above 450MB/s)

(Edit: 1080 option is available now on youtube but the quality is far from the original upload)

Reply 214 of 1396, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems like no matter which way you go, decent quality VGA capture is an expensive prospect.. 😒

Reply 215 of 1396, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

Seems like no matter which way you go, decent quality VGA capture is an expensive prospect.. 😒

AVerMedia Game Broadcaster is a decent option. BUT it's best suited for Windows and resolutions of up to 1024 x 768.

Anything higher and it will only capture at sub 60 fps with 50 fps at 1280 x 1024.

3DMark 2001: http://youtu.be/XtONz8YIQ8g

2003: http://youtu.be/Ux-2P53eGiY

On fast machines you can just use FRAPS or Bandicam.

Reply 216 of 1396, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, thinking of old system capture here. With a GameBroadcasterHD and a StarTech VGA2HDMI, not gonna get away with paying less than $300.

Reply 217 of 1396, by ShaiWa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Did you enable V-sync for this capture?

Didn't look at that but i think thats not the problem.
Looking at my capture of 3dmak2000 already at 0:34 you can see that de colors are looking more compressed and less fresh.
Also it looks that some frames are skiped during that proces.
Looking at your 3dmark captures i see the same thing.
I guess a catpure file of the avermedia is always re-encoded by youtube so it can't be directly oploaded if you want the best quality 🙁
Going to test a re-encode with youtube recomended settings in a video editing program.

Reply 218 of 1396, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

YT always encodes the video on their end. Not much you can do about this...

I also find that IE does a better job at this 60 fps videos than Chrome. I mean Chrome doesn't even scroll smooth 😀

Reply 219 of 1396, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could send an uncompressed file and youtube would still butcher it's quality. A youtuber I follow on social media posted a few screenshots a while back showing stills of the original and after youtube's processing, and it is absurd how the colors get messed up and how compressed anything with too much detail onscreen looks.