VOGONS

Windows 3.1 Memory

Topic actions

First post, by guest

User metadata

Hi, I've been using dosbox for some of the my old games including commander keen games and they work great. However I am now trying to get Windows 3.1 to work in DosBox. Here is my problem exactly. In Dosbox version 0.61 I tried to edit the statements for the memory use shown below:

[dos]
# xms -- Enable XMS support.
# ems -- Enable EMS support.

xms=true
ems=true

This looks fine, and I have tried different cobinations to get Windows 3.1 to work in "Standard mode". But none have worked yet. I was wondering, since I'm using 64MB in DosBox, It reports Xms and Ems memory as 64 MB Free. Is there a way in DoxBox to have the Ram Split up unevenly? have a total of 64 MB, but have Ems say 16 MB is free and Xms say 48 MB is free. Does that make sence? Is there a hidden option to do that? Or will I have to wait until the next version of DosBox to come out?

Reply 2 of 5, by blueside19

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I started this topic. (I just registered, so I was the guest last night.) Yeah, where can I download DosBox CVS?

Reply 3 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Search DOSBOX forums to find out where to get CVS builds ...

Mirek

Reply 4 of 5, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or... Look at my Sig. 😉 (look down)

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 5, by blueside19

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It says I have to register and post twice. That sound fine, however I'm not a programmer. I do understand how programming works in principle and the logic behind it, but I do not do code. I used to dabble in VB6, but that was awhile ago. Anyway, is there a way to split up the ems and xms memory in the dosbox.conf file? So there can be a certain amount free for each type? Right now, it will either enable it, or disable it. Is there a workaround? I'm try to avoid learning how to program. 😁 I probly should learn again, but who knows? Anyway, Can some one help with my situation? And don't tell me to learn programming, I already know I have to in order to keep up in this day of age. Thanks