VOGONS

14 CPUs, 17 years, one benchmark suite

Topic actions

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, all. I've been collecting single threaded CPU benchmarks for a while now, and just got around to making them presentable. I only have 14 CPUs on the list so far, but they span 17 years of architectural differences, and some of the results are pretty interesting. If anyone is interested, here's the link:

https://sites.google.com/site/pcgames9505/my- … /cpu-benchmarks

Instructions for running the benchmarks are on the page. Feel free to post results here if you like.

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 20, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm surprised to see how well the Wolfdale C2D fared. It even stood up to the Haswell i7 in two tests Oo

Reply 2 of 20, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That core 2 duo is insane

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 20, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Take notice that this is only single threaded benchmark.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 20, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

Take notice that this is only single threaded benchmark.

This is true. Also note that the E8400 was overclocked to 3.6 GHz at the time of the benchmark. What the results show, however, is that core clocks and instructions per clock have shown little improvement over the past seven years.

PCGames9505

Reply 5 of 20, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was the i7 kept at 3.4GHz or at the turbo speed of 3.9? If it was at 3.9 then its FPU is actually slower per clock oO

Reply 6 of 20, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Was the i7 kept at 3.4GHz or at the turbo speed of 3.9? If it was at 3.9 then its FPU is actually slower per clock oO

I did not disable Turbo Boost in the BIOS, but I also did not check to see that it was working.

PCGames9505

Reply 7 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure it used Turbo.

I remember a drop in performance when going from a fast Wolfdale to an i5. 3D Mark 2001SE scores were much better on the Core 2 Duo.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 20, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It won't load for me. All I see is blanks where the benches are supposed to be.

But I have to say, I am not surprised. Intel really drove it home with Core2
Ironically, it was based loosely on Pentium 3. They had to ditch the P4 arch

Reply 9 of 20, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are these tests only CPU bound or would memory settings affect them significantly? Though I can't imagine the C2D using faster memory than the i7, unless you use some really old sub-1333MHz DDR3 modules.

Also, this basically means that, after seven years, AMD still hasn't managed to catch up to the Core2 architecture... which is kind of sad as I used to really like AMD in the Netburst era.

Reply 10 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the benchmark is missing high end and current AMD chips but can't blame the OP, not everyone has such chips lying around.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11 of 20, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Well the benchmark is missing high end and current AMD chips but can't blame the OP, not everyone has such chips lying around.

Yeah, I was just drawing conclusions from the fact that AMD has a real bad speed/clock ratio compared to SB/IB/Haswell, and how well the C2D stands up in that aspect compared to its newer sibilings.

Anyway, once I get back home from my trip I'd be happy to run those benchmarks on a few processors (MMX200, i7 2600, i3 3220, i7 4790k, Socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+ and a Conroe C2D E6700)

Reply 12 of 20, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I've heard that other people have had issues with Google Charts; perhaps a different browser would help.

PCGames9505

Reply 13 of 20, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maximus wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I've heard that other people have had issues with Google Charts; perhaps a different browser would help.

I got it working in internet exploder on the first page 😵
The second page shows

To help protect the security of information you enter into this website, the publisher of this content does not allow it to be displayed in a frame.

Any chance of stock clocked Core2 tests?

I am surprised the Pee4 did as well as it did in the ZLib test.
Of course it got creamed in the Fibonacci test

Reply 14 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

I'm surprised to see how well the Wolfdale C2D fared. It even stood up to the Haswell i7 in two tests Oo

Wolfdales are awesome. I had a Pentium Dual Core E6300 in my main rig for a while, overclocked it to 4GHz. Currently, I'm running a Core 2 Duo E8500, which is similar but with more cache, SSE4.1 support, and higher FSB support.

Reply 15 of 20, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

Any chance of stock clocked Core2 tests?

Charts updated. Sorry that some are still not working for you 🙁

PCGames9505

Reply 16 of 20, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm still impressed by the Wolfdale, specially because I've read a Wolfdale vs Ivy Bridge article a while ago with different results here. The stock E8400 got beat even by the Ivy Bridge Celeron.

Reply 17 of 20, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have a PDF or image files of the results? The charts aren't loading for me either.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 18 of 20, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Do you have a PDF or image files of the results? The charts aren't loading for me either.

Guess the charts are not ready for prime time. Here's a direct link to the spreadsheet for anyone who's having trouble:

CPU Benchmarks

PCGames9505

Reply 19 of 20, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They seem to be working now.
The core 2 duo is awesome.