VOGONS

First post, by teet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started to use Glidos for playing Tomb Raider, and found out, that there is bad support for wide screen formats. Big wide screens become more popular and popular (with 16:10 and 16:9 angles), but Glidos offers only limited choice of old screens, or 1600x1200, what is "normal" screen with 4:3 aspect ratio, but unfortunately I cannot use this resolution on my monitor.

My wish is, that Glidos should have support for screen formats 1680x1050 and 1920x1080. I have tried to enter those resolutons manually, but OpenGL mode refuses to open this resolution, or switches to 1024x768 in left upper screen corner, and Direct3D shows 1024x768 window centered to black screen. It were great, if it could use and show me whole new generation bitmaps in full glory.

Computer:
mainboard: Gigabyte G31M-S2
Processor: Core 2 Duo E8200, 2666 MHz
RAM: DDR2 4 GB (under Windows XP 3,6 GB)
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 9600GT, 512 MB

Reply 1 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glidos just interprets the Glide commands from the game. It is still the game that generates the scene, and TR can generate only a 4:3 area. Because of this, the best that is achievable on a 16:9 screen, is to paint a 4:3 subarea, leaving black bars at the side. I have put support for that in Glidos, but it is available only in Direct3D mode. It's the setting labelled "Inhibit mode change".

Reply 2 of 19, by teet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Njah, but how can i make it stretch 4:3 picture over whole screen? Is it possible to add some less-known 4:3 format between 1280x1024 and 1600x1200, like 1280x960 and 1400x1050? In OpenGL mode, this mode can perfecly stretched to bigger resolution, in same time offering better graphics. At the moment it seems, like all non-standard resolutions are defaulting to 1024x768 (I can type resolution manually into settings box).

Reply 3 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stretching doesn't seem like a good option. Lara will be short and fat.

In Direct3D mode, with "Inhibit mode change" selected, you should be able to select any 4:3 resolution you like, and it will be fitted within the screen area (or even hanging off top and bottom if you select a resolution bigger than the sctreen, but then there will be content you cannot see).

I'm still not quite understanding exactly what the difference is between what it does, and what you were hoping for. If you were hoping for the game to display exactly within the screen bounds, with no content invisible because of being off screen, and with lara proportioned correctly, I'm afraid it cannot be done. Nothing to do with Glidos. It is just impossible to produce that from what TR1 generates.

Reply 4 of 19, by teet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, here are screenshots about what I wanna accomplish.
My screen natural resolution is 1920x1080, sp highest 3x4 resolution were (1080/3*4)x1080=1440x1080. I write it to Glidos settings window (picture 1)

Then I launch game, and get this: picture 2

What I wanna see: picture 3, Tomb Raider game with resolution 1440x1080 nicely on my screen natural resolution

Seems like entering any resolution except this ones that Glidos offers default, does not have any effect, and they default always to situation on picture 2.

What is my goal? use highest resolution available, like I had 1600x1200 screen.

Attachments

• tomb1.png
    Filename
    tomb1.png
    File size
    18.29 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    (1) Glidos TR game settings, manually entering my own screen resolution
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    tomb2.jpg
    File size
    71.38 KiB
    Downloads
    463 downloads
    File comment
    (2) Small Tomb Raider game screen in resolution 1920x1080, with black border, game window 1024x868
    File license
  • Filename
    tomb3.jpg
    File size
    103.4 KiB
    Downloads
    481 downloads
    File comment
    (3) What I wanna accomplish: high resolution with game stretched to window borders, using my natural screen resolution 1920x1080 pixels.
    File license

Reply 5 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah I see. I've made the Resolution control writable. Oops! Only the resolutions in the drop down list are supported by the Windows side Glide wrappers. If you click on 1280x1024 then that will give very nearly what you want. There will be just a thin black line top and bottom.

As you say, it would be worth adding a 1440x1080. I'll try to get around to that sometime.

Reply 6 of 19, by teet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, if that is not too hard to implement any resolution on Windows Glide side, some games populate all available screen resolutions to drop-down list, for example, using DirectX function enumDisplayModes(), like explained here:
http://justlikeamagic.com/2009/05/19/changing … ly-via-directx/
It helps avoid problem, that some user does not find screen resolution suitable for him.

Reply 7 of 19, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...and three years later...

I would really like to see 1440x1080 (1400x1050 for the 16:10 monitors) because my native resolution is 1920x1080 and my monitor does 1440x1080 (scaled properly with side fill bars) and looks native (good) without any odd and ugly resizing. 1280x1024 is just wrong and smashes it horizontally and is not even 4:3. At least 1280x960 is a 'correct' resolution. 1600x1200 is beyond my monitors 1080 vertical limit so that's no good!

Reply 8 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find that nGlide does it in a way I like it.

You just set the resolution of your monitor, which is 1920 x 1080 on my system and set 4:3 aspect ratio.

It then scales it to aspect ratio correct full screen with black bars on the sides, basically 1440 x 1080 resolution.

AntiSnipe I also find it awesome that you care about this. So many people play these old games in the wrong aspect ratio. For many games in general, I have a custom resolution of 1440 x 1080, and use that quite often. Some games can access this resolution directly, others you can edit ini files to make them work. Many can't be modified though and you have to scale from 1024 x 768.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 19, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes sir, nGlide does it nicely, for me though, I modify my Nvidia drivers before install to include 1440x1080 (just to avoid having to make a custom resolution all the time) and nGlide sees that and lets me choose that resolution directly, but choosing 1920x1080 + keep aspect ratio gets the same result, as you said.

Just out of curiosity, why is the Glidos resolution box 'writable'? If I write in 1280x960 or any other resolution not already in the pull down selection, it just throws up an error (that I can not click OK on) followed by a crash when I try to run the game.

Reply 10 of 19, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nglide can force any resolution you want, so it will be very good for glidos too, but nglide do not fix blood walls, +to glidos, and cant hack lara shadow

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 11 of 19, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sorry for bump i found interestion solution, copy glide2x.dll shipped with nGlide to \Glidos\psVoodoo\glide2x.dll
overwrite it.
and you will able force any resolution & widescreen. Blood fix and Laras Shadow will work, also force smooth too works.
Exellent for me.
in combination with vdos in winxp + RedGuard its awesome experience.
But i am assembled retro pc with 3dfx.
Did spinning logo slow down games?

Reply 12 of 19, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this is an old thread, but in the end I used TombATI which gives a perfect aspect ratio in 2560x1440. Glidos is great and I grabbed it when Paul Gardiner did a limited time giveaway, nut I could never quite sort the aspect ratio.
lQ6MjpI.jpg

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 13 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, that's the main advantage of TombATI. There's pretty much no way to make the DOS versions of Tomb Raider produce other than a 4x3 ratio image, and so the only two choices are stretching - which produces a short fat Lara - or have black bars at each side. I have fairly recently added support for 4K monitors, but you still get the black bars.

Those look like the original textures. In case you don't know, there's an altered version on TombATI, available from the Glidos site, which can use high-definition texture packs and FMVs. (I realise that many prefer the originals).

The limited-time offer of Glidos for free: I forgot to limit it. It's still free and will probably stay that way for good. I use it now only to sneak adverts for my Mobile game: http://www.tower-of-babel.co.uk/.

The one reason I still spark up Glidos from time to time, is for the 3D stereo support. Tomb Raider is just awesome using a VR headset.

Reply 14 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oops! I posted having read only the previous post and not the whole thread. It seems I solved the problem mentioned here some time a go, but didn't post about it in this thread. I'm pretty sure how it works now: if you select "Direct3D", "Inhibit mode change" and "Full Screen" then you'll get the largest 4x3 resolution that fits your screen mode, independently of the resolution you choose.

Reply 15 of 19, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i still love original Glidos , but i can't activate vDos (( i changed hardware and i lost it, i need it for Redguard . in Win XP

Reply 16 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh. I think I created a new version that should activate, but pretty much vDos is dead: it requires operating-system features that don't exist in 64bit Windows. If you are running a 32bit OS, then you could try this version

Reply 18 of 19, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i use Windows XP 32 bit , qemu can be integrated with Glidos somehow? it really fast as vdos? because i had 60 fps in Redguard in Win XP + Glidos + vDos + glide2x from nGlide, so i can force any resolution even HD and have so fast fps here.

Reply 19 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, if you can get it going, vDos32 should be fast. It mostly doesn't emulate. It just runs the 32bit DOS code directly in Windows, and then interprets any DOS interrupts it runs into. On the other hand, it isn't much use for anything other than a few of the games supported by Glidos.