VOGONS

Reply 80 of 3172, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

My workflow basically goes like this:
Scan both sides (1200dpi), correct the scale in photoshop so vias match up perfectly or at least very close, convert to 2 color black & white, convert to .dxf, convert with "Eagle Power Tools" to a script that draws said black & white image to a dummy layer, start redrawing 😀 One major issue is getting the scale right.

Once everything is redrawn, start deriving the schematic using Eagle's Electric Rule check so layout and schematic become consistent (that part is really tedious).

Circad does all that inside 😐 Would you send me the raw scanned pictures? So I can show you?
I also need dimensions of board. And that's it 😀
I forgot to ask, is it 4 layers or 2 layers?
Cheers!

Reply 81 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marmes wrote:
Circad does all that inside :| Would you send me the raw scanned pictures? So I can show you? I also need dimensions of board. A […]
Show full quote
shock__ wrote:

My workflow basically goes like this:
Scan both sides (1200dpi), correct the scale in photoshop so vias match up perfectly or at least very close, convert to 2 color black & white, convert to .dxf, convert with "Eagle Power Tools" to a script that draws said black & white image to a dummy layer, start redrawing 😀 One major issue is getting the scale right.

Once everything is redrawn, start deriving the schematic using Eagle's Electric Rule check so layout and schematic become consistent (that part is really tedious).

Circad does all that inside 😐 Would you send me the raw scanned pictures? So I can show you?
I also need dimensions of board. And that's it 😀
I forgot to ask, is it 4 layers or 2 layers?
Cheers!

2 layers ... if it was 4 layers (like the original GUS PnP) the project almost wouldn't be worth it (okay, there's a GUS PnP for 220€ on eBay currently, I guess I would undershoot that).
Raw scanned pictures are 260MB - a bit too large for my line to send. Would a 300dpi version work for you as well?

I'm certainly gonna take a look at CirCARD tho.

EDIT: Bit of progress - http://i.imgur.com/ZmmZcTb.png
EDIT2: Bit more progress - http://i.imgur.com/gVT24C5.png (won't get updated in the next week, vacation time for now)

Last edited by shock__ on 2015-02-22, 16:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 85 of 3172, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Synoptic wrote:

How hard would it be to make the card PCI/PCIe compatible ? (not counting the drivers, just the HW part of it)

It's not impossible, but not worth the trouble. Cheaper to get a 486 or pentium computer

Reply 86 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCIe seriously? Just use DOSBox. No need to invent the wheel a second time and claim it's a steamroller.

[Z?]

Reply 87 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got a quote from one supplier - $19 per set of custom chips. I guess that's not as cheap as I had hoped, but still is cheap enough to make this project happen.

[Z?]

Reply 88 of 3172, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh! let me tell you, I think IW= interwave so IW78c21m1 is a rebranded memory from MX, not FIFO as I thought, and it might contain info for wavetable. Maybe it's a flash with wavetable data. 1mb to be more precise.
Could it be a 29f800? Could you tell me where is VCC and GND on that IC?
Thanks!

Reply 89 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like that is clue worth chasing 😀
I'll try to derive a pinout when I have access to the card again.

[Z?]

Reply 91 of 3172, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This rom is used in Korg http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dl/Scans-059/ … A2IH0049163.pdf . Back in those days a flash was expensive I think, a rom was cheaper. This is very similiar to mx rom 1mb.
Maybe I would try to see it as a m27c160 😀 psop44

Reply 92 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll check into those once I get back to the card ... so far everything you said made sense ... and would explain the optional DIP footprint on the Gravis GUS PnP.

Is there an easy way to read out those ROMs?

[Z?]

Reply 96 of 3172, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Marmes wrote:

Oh! let me tell you, I think IW= interwave so IW78c21m1 is a rebranded memory from MX, not FIFO as I thought, and it might contain info for wavetable. Maybe it's a flash with wavetable data. 1mb to be more precise.
Could it be a 29f800? Could you tell me where is VCC and GND on that IC?
Thanks!

Should contain this 1MB set:
http://www.voicecrystal.com/services.htm

Our 1 Meg & 4 Meg sets (vers. 3.0) on the AMD Interwave chip-set line of products; Reveal Wave32 Extreme Gravis (now Ken […]
Show full quote

Our 1 Meg & 4 Meg sets (vers. 3.0) on the AMD Interwave chip-set
line of products;
Reveal Wave32 Extreme
Gravis (now Kensington) Ultrasound Plug-n-Play
Core Dynamics - Dyna Sonix - Wave & Pro Sound Cards

Their 4 Meg General Midi Sound set version 4.1 is very nice, but not free.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 98 of 3172, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

-There is a 1MB ROM on my GUS PnP clone. And one can load a 4MB set in RAM (GSFULL4M.DAT/GSFULL4M.FFF).
-I do not have any 1MB set as a DAT/FFF file for RAM.
-Voice Crystal soundsets where present in ROM in the Turtle Beach soundcards like the Maui and Rio.
So I just figure the GUS PnP 1MB ROM is the same story...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul