VOGONS

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are some photos of my P200 MMX system.

Tyan Tomcat S1563S
StarTech 230W PSU
Intel Pentium 200 MMX
128mb RAM
Seagate Cheetah 18gb 10,000 RPM SCSI Ultra Wide hard drive
Plextor UltraPlex Ultra Wide PX-40TW CDROM
Matrox MGA Millenium (with 4mb RAM daughterboard, 8mb total)
Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI Controller
NEC USB 2.0 Adapter
Diamond Monster 3D 3dfx Voodoo
Diamond Supra Express 56i V.90 Modem
3Com 3C515-TX NIC
SoundBlaster 16 ASP CT2230 with WaveBlaster daughterboard

TyanS1563SFront_zps0b33800f.jpg

TyanS1563SIO_zps78373f15.jpg

TyanS1563SSideView1_zps182076b8.jpg

TyanS1563SSideView2_zps0635b4c0.jpg

TyanS1563SIntel_zps37c93e2d.jpg

TyanS1563SNomenclature_zps6e3b4924.jpg

TyanS1563SP200MMX_zps157a2742.jpg

TyanS1563SDiamondMonster3D1_zps4f8bd1a4.jpg

TyanS1563SGhettoCoolerAim2_zps8ac72be2.jpg

TyanS1563SSB16CT2230_zps6c18ef8f.jpg

TyanS1563STopDownHDDCooler_zps1b05b467.jpg

TyanS1563S3dfxBadge_zpscddd5632.jpg

Edit: PhotoBucket has been threatening to delete my photos for years now. I finally got around to saving them and I've uploaded them here as an attachment, just in case they ever actually make good on their threats. I would have uploaded the photos to Google Drive and replaced the PhotoBucket links, but I can't seem to make it work. Uploading directly to VOGONS won't work since they limit five attachments per post and my original post here has more than five pictures.

Attachments

• Filename
    Tyan P200 MMX Voodoo 1 - 405713.7z
    File size
    3.88 MiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File comment
    These are my own photos, that I took myself, of my own computer. I consider them to be Public Domain.
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2023-12-03, 15:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:
Here are some photos of my P200 MMX system. […]
Show full quote

Here are some photos of my P200 MMX system.

Tyan Tomcat S1563S
StarTech 230W PSU
Intel Pentium 200 MMX
128mb RAM
Seagate Cheetah 18gb 10,000 RPM SCSI Ultra Wide hard drive
Plextor UltraPlex Ultra Wide PX-40TW CDROM
Matrox MGA Millenium (with 4mb RAM daughterboard, 8mb total)
Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI Controller
NEC USB 2.0 Adapter
Diamond Monster 3D 3dfx Voodoo
Diamond Supra Express 56i V.90 Modem
3Com 3C515-TX NIC
SoundBlaster 16 ASP CT2230 with WaveBlaster daughterboard

Nice 430HX motherboard. I have the dual processor version of that board, the S1563D. Owned it since college. Great board.

Reply 2 of 12, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! I bought this one back in early 1997. The motherboard, RAM, CDROM, Matrox Millenium, SCSI adapter, and SB16 are all original parts from when I first built it. Everything else got added-on or replaced over the years.

Back when I originally bought this motherboard, I couldn't figure out why anybody would buy the S1563D dual-CPU version. Running a dual-CPU system was insanely expensive at the time and offered no advantages for gaming. Nowadays, I wish I had bought the S1563D instead because I could have gotten the second CPU for super cheap at today's prices.

Reply 4 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's some serious HDD cooling in the 2nd last pic! What is it? I've never seen something like that before

Reply 5 of 12, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

bjt:
I wish I had a way to mount at least one more exhaust fan. The 10,000 RPM hard drive generates some serious heat.

I have considered punching a hole in the top of the case and mounting an 80mm fan to exhaust hot air out the top. I'm hesitant to do this because there are no do-overs if I screw it up. AT cases are hard to find nowadays.

chinny22:
Originally, I had a 2gb IBM SCSI hard drive in this PC. I later added-on a second 4gb IBM hard drive. Around 2002 and after 4+ solid years of heavy use, both of those drives started to fail. I replaced them with the 10,000 RPM 18gb drive you see in the pics. Unfortunately, it too failed quickly and I RMA'd it. Then, that replacement failed too. After the third replacement also failed, I began to suspect that the drives were cooking themselves to death. To cool the drives, I bought one of these and ran it for a few years:

UHDC-1.jpg
Filename
UHDC-1.jpg
File size
64.39 KiB
Views
File comment
This is a stock photo.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
UHDC-2.jpg
Filename
UHDC-2.jpg
File size
43.15 KiB
Views
File comment
This is a stock photo.
File license

I also attached one of these to the bottom of the drive (which you can't see in my photos):

Bottom HDD Cooler.jpg
Filename
Bottom HDD Cooler.jpg
File size
13.45 KiB
Views
File comment
This is a stock photo.
File license

Although the drive did not fail again, I suspected that the massive heatsink on top wasn't making good contact with the top of the hard drive. To test it, I smeared on some TIM, mounted it again, and then removed it. Sure enough, only about 15% of the heatsink was making contact. I then chucked the heatsink cooler, put the 5.25" bay covers back on, and installed this ThermalTake TMG-HD1 which you can see in my pictures:

TMG HD1.jpg
Filename
TMG HD1.jpg
File size
36.14 KiB
Views
File comment
This is a stock photo.
File license
TMG HD1 Bottom.jpg
Filename
TMG HD1 Bottom.jpg
File size
27.7 KiB
Views
File comment
This is a stock photo.
File license

It's a really good hard drive cooler. I especially like how the fan can be removed and turned over to reverse flow (which I did). Since the fan can be removed, it can also be replaced when it fails. The downside to this cooler is its massive size. With the drive itself, this cooler, and the other cooler on the bottom of the hard drive, the whole setup is consuming two full 5.25" bays. However, I am confident that my 10,000 RPM drive will not fail due to overheating again.

If you look in the top-left of my open PC case, right under the PSU, you can see two additional brand-new 4gb ultra-wide SCSI drives that are not connected. A friend had those and he was going to throw them out. I asked if I could have them and I've kept them as spares ever since.

Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2023-12-03, 15:53. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 7 of 12, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

Back when I originally bought this motherboard, I couldn't figure out why anybody would buy the S1563D dual-CPU version. Running a dual-CPU system was insanely expensive at the time and offered no advantages for gaming. Nowadays, I wish I had bought the S1563D instead because I could have gotten the second CPU for super cheap at today's prices.

I bought the dual-proc version because I was an engineering student at the time. I wasn't gaming much... I tri-booted Win95+WinNT-4.0+Linux. I used linux lilo as the boot loader because it just worked back then better than anything else. Both WinNT and Linux recognized the dual-procs. I used those most often. I only booted into Win95 occasionally when I wanted to watch to TV on the ATI TV Tuner board I had back then or play a game. Win95 just ignored the second proc and it all worked just fine.

Reply 8 of 12, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If anybody was wondering how my HDD cooling setup looks from the front, I removed the 5.25" bay covers and snapped a photo:

Tyan S1563S HDD Cooling Front View_zpspqvdnmna.jpg
Filename
Tyan S1563S HDD Cooling Front View_zpspqvdnmna.jpg
File size
70.54 KiB
Views
File comment
This is my own photo, that I took myself, of my own computer. I consider it to be Public Domain.
File license
Public domain
Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2023-12-03, 15:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 12, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very clever on the slot cover to hold a fan - is it very stable? Does it add a lot of noise?

On the blow-hole - I can vouch for their efficacy if the case is setup properly for the airflow. I knocked something like 15* C off of my dual Xeon setup's CPU temperatures with one, but that case had a mount point that I could utilize. As far as cutting out a hole, a hole-saw will do a very nice job, just match it up with the size fan you need, and then do whatever you like to cover/protect the hole (e.g. wire grille, c-channel, etc) after you've made it. Alternately you might consider a bay-slot blower which wouldn't require modifying the case, but might require re-arranging expansion cards.

Reply 11 of 12, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Very clever on the slot cover to hold a fan - is it very stable? Does it add a lot of noise?

It's very stable, solid, and not very loud either. Here are a few pics of it and how I've got it attached:

TyanS1563SGhettoCooler2_zps2812c4a5.jpg
Filename
TyanS1563SGhettoCooler2_zps2812c4a5.jpg
File size
49.01 KiB
Views
File comment
This is my own photo, that I took myself, of my own computer. I consider it to be Public Domain.
File license
Public domain
TyanS1563SGhettoCooler1_zpsc59238a7.jpg
Filename
TyanS1563SGhettoCooler1_zpsc59238a7.jpg
File size
58.25 KiB
Views
File comment
File license
Public domain
TyanS1563SGhettoCoolerAttachment_zps480957c3.jpg
Filename
TyanS1563SGhettoCoolerAttachment_zps480957c3.jpg
File size
81.75 KiB
Views
File comment
File license
Public domain

As you can see in the last picture, it actually has two screws holding it down. It's really a very solid hack. It doesn't move at all.

The Evercool fan in the front of that case is a real howler. I'd get a quieter fan, but I'm afraid it wouldn't move as much air. Since that is currently the only intake for that system, I can't afford to reduce performance.

obobskivich wrote:

On the blow-hole - I can vouch for their efficacy if the case is setup properly for the airflow. I knocked something like 15* C off of my dual Xeon setup's CPU temperatures with one, but that case had a mount point that I could utilize. As far as cutting out a hole, a hole-saw will do a very nice job, just match it up with the size fan you need, and then do whatever you like to cover/protect the hole (e.g. wire grille, c-channel, etc) after you've made it. Alternately you might consider a bay-slot blower which wouldn't require modifying the case, but might require re-arranging expansion cards.

I'm trying to avoid a slot cooler. I'd really like to do the blow-hole mod, but I'm just afraid of screwing it up. My father has a drill press, so I'll probably ask him to help me cut the hole one of these days. I think even a 60mm fan on the top would help improve cooling tremendously.

Jr_ wrote:

where can I get those 3dfx case stickers?

I got that from a German guy on eBay about 10 years ago. Check this thread here. It looks like JayCeeBee64 may be submitting an order for new 3dfx case badges.

Reply 12 of 12, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While saving my stuff from PhotoBucket, I found these additional four photos in the same folder for this thread, but they were never posted. I don't know why. I'm posting them now.

TyanS1563SGhettoCoolerInstalled1_zpsd8db415d.jpg
Filename
TyanS1563SGhettoCoolerInstalled1_zpsd8db415d.jpg
File size
97.7 KiB
Views
File comment
File license
Public domain
TyanS1563SGhettoCoolerAim3_zps938c210d.jpg
Filename
TyanS1563SGhettoCoolerAim3_zps938c210d.jpg
File size
157.29 KiB
Views
File comment
File license
Public domain
TyanS1563SGhettoCoolerAim1_zps1f471b2f.jpg
Filename
TyanS1563SGhettoCoolerAim1_zps1f471b2f.jpg
File size
102.01 KiB
Views
File comment
File license
Public domain
TyanS1563SDiamondMonster3D2_zps358658a5.jpg
Filename
TyanS1563SDiamondMonster3D2_zps358658a5.jpg
File size
103.37 KiB
Views
File comment
File license
Public domain