VOGONS

ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

Topic actions

First post, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There have been threads past and present discussing the -5V line present on ATX power supplies (ATX v1.2 and prior) and missing in later versions of the ATX spec. Newer power supplies lack a -5V which can cause much problems and failures for fans of retro systems. I was hoping to start this thread to document which ISA cards and other peripherals need -5V and the symptoms experienced when -5V is not available. I'm by no means the expert, but thought Vogons a great place for people to contribute what they know towards a comprehensive list. That's is something anyone looking to to build a retro system could benefit from.

ISA Cards:

• Creative Labs CT-192x - AWE32 Upgrade ISA Card (aka "Goldfinch") - Symptom: Low / No Audio
  • Creative Labs CT-1350B (Rev 049151) - Sound Blaster 2.0 - Symptom: Low / No Audio
  • Roland LAPC-I - LA Synthesizer + MPU-401 Card - Symptom: No Audio from LA Part
  • Media Vision PAS16 - Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (650-0044 56B / FCC ID: IXW-PAS16NS) - Symptom: Incorrect Playback Speed / Timing Circuit Issues
  • Media Vision JAZZ16 - Jazz 16 (650-0066-02 / FCC ID: IXW-JAZZ16) - Symptom: Incorrect Playback Speed / Timing Circuit Issues
  • Media Vision Pro Audio Studio 16 - PAS Studio 16 (650-0052) - Symptom: Incorrect Playback Speed / Timing Circuit Issues
  • 3Com EL16/TP - Etherlink 16 TP, 16bit NIC - Symptom: ??

Let's keep the list going... I'll edit and update this post with any information that comes in the replies.

EDIT 23/03/2015: Added SB 2.0 Rev.4 and 3Com EL16/TP
EDIT 23/03/2015: Updated LAPC-I entry
EDIT 23/03/2015: Added/Updated MV PAS entries

Last edited by QBiN on 2015-03-24, 00:45. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 1 of 32, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've gone through most of my stash looking for cards I either know need -5V or I can visually verify have the B5 (-5V) ISA finger contact and are routing it to components on the ISA card.

I've also read certain Pro Audio Spectrum cards require -5V, but I don't have any to verify that.

Reply 3 of 32, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
QBiN wrote:

I've also read certain Pro Audio Spectrum cards require -5V, but I don't have any to verify that.

Most PAS16 cards do. I have the original PAS and the very late PAS16 (Pro Audio 16 XL SCSI), they don't.

QBiN wrote:

[*]Roland LAPC-I - LA Synthesizer + MPU-401 Card - Symptom: ??

Only MPU part works without -5V, the LA synthesizer part is silent.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 4 of 32, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Harekiet wrote:

I'd think most old cards with audio amplifiers and differential drivers would require the negative voltage rail.

Thing is a bunch of more modern ones actually derive it from the -12v rail (as does the OEM GUS I'm cloning).

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 5 of 32, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:
Harekiet wrote:

I'd think most old cards with audio amplifiers and differential drivers would require the negative voltage rail.

Thing is a bunch of more modern ones actually derive it from the -12v rail (as does the OEM GUS I'm cloning).

I think most "newer" ISA cards do this. It's much better, since a linear regulator like 7905 has very little noise compared to a switching converter. Cards with a chipset that doesn't need -5V (like YMF71x) still make their own +5V from the 12V rail for the analog parts.

Reply 6 of 32, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:
QBiN wrote:

Most PAS16 cards do. I have the original PAS and the very late PAS16 (Pro Audio 16 XL SCSI), they don't.

Do you know which rev/models #'s of PAS16 require the -5V rail?

Reply 7 of 32, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

650-0044 56B (FCC ID: IXW-PAS16NS) seems to be one such candidate.

http://www.yjfy.com/images/oldhard/sound/Pro_ … Spectrum_16.jpg

[Z?]

Reply 8 of 32, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

650-0066-02 (FCC ID: IXW-JAZZ16) connects the -5V rail to the LF353N op-amp ... Symptom should be no audio/low volume on one of the outputs (seeing how this card supports its' own standard along with OPL3).

Will try to verify once I get my 486 shipped to my place.

[Z?]

Reply 9 of 32, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strangely my PAS Plus has the finger, but it goes nowhere... But it's a strange board, possibly an OEM version; has no joyport and instead has a big connector for a breakout box. It uses the -12V rail though and the amp is grounded only through the slot bracket.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10 of 32, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
QBiN wrote:

Do you know which rev/models #'s of PAS16 require the -5V rail?

Problem is there's a giant bunch of PAS16 cards: old, new, with SCSI, LMSI, Sony or even no CD interface. A dozen of them or even more. I don't particularly know which ones are affected. But Cloudschatze once said that only the latest (650-0097) doesn't require -5V rail to operate properly. If he's right, then all others are guilty.

There are also PAS Plus (650-0014) which doesn't need the designated rail, and a shady card that I saw on ebay twice but missed the opportunity to buy: 650-0018. It resembles PAS Plus but has two jacks instead of three. It's unclear whether it is a late version of PAS Plus or an early version of PAS 16 (whose numbers usually start from 650-0022).

Last edited by bristlehog on 2015-03-23, 20:38. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 32, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Strangely my PAS Plus has the finger, but it goes nowhere... But it's a strange board, possibly an OEM version; has no joyport and instead has a big connector for a breakout box. It uses the -12V rail though and the amp is grounded only through the slot bracket.

What is the 650-xxxx number of your PAS Plus?

Reply 12 of 32, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It says 650-0018 01-B. The 01-B is written in marker pen.

I will check my other cards for -5V.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 13 of 32, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own 3 Pro Audio Spectrum cards.

Pro Audio Spectrum Plus - 650-0014
Pro Audio Studio 16 - 650-0052
Pro Audio Spectrum XL - 650-0097

Both the Plus and XL do not require -5V but the Studio 16 does. The great majority of branded PAS 16 cards do require -5V.

Reply 14 of 32, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

I will check my other cards for -5V.

Interesting. Have the pic? How do you know it's a PAS Plus, not PAS 16?

Reply 16 of 32, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

But Cloudschatze once said that only the latest (650-0097) doesn't require -5V rail to operate properly. If he's right, then all others are guilty.

Here's what I'd written about the affected PAS16 cards:
MediaVision - PAS16? - Help ID the card - Help with drivers

Note the speed-related playback symptoms through the 8/16-bit CODEC when -5V isn't present.

HighTreason wrote:

This is Media Vision's earliest CDPC interface card. It is compatible with the PAS+, as referenced in the PAS SDK, and was designed to connect to an external CD-ROM unit having built-in speakers, audio and MIDI I/O, and a joystick port.

Reply 17 of 32, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

This is Media Vision's earliest CDPC interface card. It is compatible with the PAS+, as referenced in the PAS SDK, and was designed to connect to an external CD-ROM unit having built-in speakers, audio and MIDI I/O, and a joystick port.

So does the CDPC card need the -5V as well? That wasn't clear to me in the posts.

Reply 19 of 32, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
QBiN wrote:

So does the CDPC card need the -5V as well? That wasn't clear to me in the posts.

I don't have one with which to verify, but HighTreason mentioned that the bus finger doesn't go anywhere on the card, so it doesn't sound like it.