VOGONS

Common searches

Restoring surround sound to Deus Ex and other games - should I get Sound Blaster MB3?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 61 of 67, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
daniel_u wrote:

I have XP+Creative X-Fi and tested Splinter Cell PT + EAX. There is no difference from what i've heard.

Thing is that, I'm sure your hearing can be as sharp as a bat and your memory as longstanding as a elephant (or was it turtles?), but no human could remember all the "shades" of sound.

This is why the only viable way to ensure of this I saw was recording both audio outputs (in raw PCM) and comparing their "waves".

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 63 of 67, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

ABX testing is what you should do to get meaningful statistics of what the difference is.

But that's exactly what I wanted to avoid. I mean, I was looking for an objective comparison, it won't be a double blind test that will rule out differences between original good old times with XP and X-Fis and these with Windows 7/8 and ALchemy.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 64 of 67, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, a data comparison might be objective in telling you if there is a difference... but it won't tell you if the difference matters in any way.

If you do a data comparison and you find the output of the test setups to be different, it might mean three things:

1: The sound quality of the modern computer running ALchemy is better.
2: The sound quality of the old computer running EAX natively is better.
3: The sound quality of both setups is identical.

I think finding out which of those three is true is more interesting than just knowing if there is a difference.

Reply 65 of 67, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
Well, a data comparison might be objective in telling you if there is a difference... but it won't tell you if the difference ma […]
Show full quote

Well, a data comparison might be objective in telling you if there is a difference... but it won't tell you if the difference matters in any way.

If you do a data comparison and you find the output of the test setups to be different, it might mean three things:

1: The sound quality of the modern computer running ALchemy is better.
2: The sound quality of the old computer running EAX natively is better.
3: The sound quality of both setups is identical.

I think finding out which of those three is true is more interesting than just knowing if there is a difference.

Of course.
But if you just trust your hears, you'll never be sure whether you couldn't have miss something.

With a so strict comparison instead, you can spot the points where the difference is actual. And with some repetitive listenings you might be able to tell whether that is an improvement, a worsening or just an inaudible thing.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 66 of 67, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mirh wrote:
daniel_u wrote:

I have XP+Creative X-Fi and tested Splinter Cell PT + EAX. There is no difference from what i've heard.

Thing is that, I'm sure your hearing can be as sharp as a bat and your memory as longstanding as a elephant (or was it turtles?), but no human could remember all the "shades" of sound.

This is why the only viable way to ensure of this I saw was recording both audio outputs (in raw PCM) and comparing their "waves".

What i meant is that i tested, the same game, in Win XP and Win 7, and i didnt saw/hear differences.
This is a raw comparison. 😀 Well...you know, i may have some hearing problems.😀)