VOGONS

USB Mouse windows 95

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok so I don't have a PS2 mouse, nor a usb to ps2 converter. I've tried the HID mouse driver in the intellipoint but it doesn't work. This mouse works fine with the windows 98 HID drivers but I can't seem to find a copy of the 98SE HiD driver anywhere that was included in the OS. Anyone got any tips? And yes I'm using OSR 2.5 and the USb supplemtnal is installed

Reply 1 of 20, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A couple of months back I tried to get any USB mice to work on my W95 machine with no luck. Even tried several mice with several PS2 adapters and in the end I just went back (or forward) to W98. I did find some 3'rd party USB drivers that were supposed to fix it but that didn't work either.

My USB keyboards with PS2 adapters worked just fine though.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 3 of 20, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Somewhat off-topic, but I'm curious of advantages of choosing Windows 95 over 98. Are there any old games that run on 95 but won't run on 98? I ended up using 98 on my Pentium Pro because it worked much better with USB.

Reply 4 of 20, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No not really just wanted to 🤣, I used 95 for a very short time, I was 10 when 98 came out, to give you an idea of my age, my first computer ran 98, but the family comp had 95 on it, but we bought it in 97, and my dad upgraded it to 98 when 98FE came out.

Reply 7 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, does that mean you were running Windows 98 on this system, and that's how you know that the mouse works fine with the Windows 98 drivers? Or were you testing the mouse with Windows 98 on a different system?

Because if you were using a different system to do your tests, there could very well be some kind of hardware problem. In that case I would suggest booting Puppy Linux from a CD and checking to see if the mouse works there before going nuts trying to get Windows to behave.

Reply 8 of 20, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AllUrBaseRBelong2Us wrote:

Somewhat off-topic, but I'm curious of advantages of choosing Windows 95 over 98. Are there any old games that run on 95 but won't run on 98? I ended up using 98 on my Pentium Pro because it worked much better with USB.

Star Trek Generations is the only one that immediately comes to mind.

Reply 9 of 20, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

So, does that mean you were running Windows 98 on this system, and that's how you know that the mouse works fine with the Windows 98 drivers? Or were you testing the mouse with Windows 98 on a different system?

Because if you were using a different system to do your tests, there could very well be some kind of hardware problem. In that case I would suggest booting Puppy Linux from a CD and checking to see if the mouse works there before going nuts trying to get Windows to behave.

both, ive installed 98 onto this hardware now and it also works

Reply 10 of 20, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Duouk2000 wrote:

That got me curious, so I've been off in Google for a bit. I did find people running it in w98. Perhaps the tip at the bottom of this one is relevant to what you ran into?
https://jaskagaming.wordpress.com/2014/06/14/ … re-workstation/

Carry on with 98. Generally you can think of 98 as a mature 95, and the only reason to install 95 is Grim Nostalgia. (I'm actually playing/fighting with a fresh install right now.)

On Vogons it's certain that somebody will come up with an exceptional reason to use it, but it'll be pretty exceptional even by vintage gamer standard.

Reply 11 of 20, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i assume that win95(osr2 is what actually usable) demands less resources than 98. my win98se rig boots with ~30mb ram already used, which sounds awesome for a retro rig.

Reply 12 of 20, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the thread I should have linked in the first place.
Win95 vs. Win98 for pre-Pentium 200 games
Win95 vs. Win98 for pre-Pentium 200 games

I'm solidly in the optimized 98se camp. So much so that till I re-read Mau1wurf1977's complaints about it being sluggish, I forgot that it really is until you tweak it. I've installed it so much that the tweaks are part of the install in my blurred memory.

sorry for the sidetrack, candle_86. We can move anything further over there now, or start fresh.

Reply 14 of 20, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pewpewpew wrote:
Duouk2000 wrote:

That got me curious, so I've been off in Google for a bit. I did find people running it in w98. Perhaps the tip at the bottom of this one is relevant to what you ran into?
https://jaskagaming.wordpress.com/2014/06/14/ … re-workstation/

I gave it another go and for some reason it works fine on my current Win 9x PC! I didn't even need to tweak anything. I've never been able to get it to play nice on previous computers with Windows 98 so I'm quite happy with that.

Reply 17 of 20, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Star Trek Borg I could never get that working on 98

Found a couple of links of interest. You may have already been there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Borg# … odern_computers
Star Trek Borg on Dos Box HELP!!

Reply 18 of 20, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

nah ive resigned to if im gonna use 95, i need a serial ball mouse like back in the day 🤣

Did you try getting a (more or less) "generic" HID mouse driver and "hacking" the .inf file to include your device?

BTW, not all mouses will work with a USB to PS/2 adapter. They need to be able to talk in both protocols (PS/2 and USB), and modern mouses seem to have dropped support for PS/2 mode. You'll have more chances to get older mouses to work.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!