VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

i have found a Cache module which says CA256K FOR 486 M919 USE ONLY on the back side at home.
I've already figured out that it seems to be for a M919 PC CHIPS mainboard (which i've never had) - Is that thing of any use for me?
Does anyone here need it/make use of it?

IMG_0546.JPG
Filename
IMG_0546.JPG
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0545.JPG
Filename
IMG_0545.JPG
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Thanks!
nemail

Reply 1 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe the person here needs it: Learning the hard way isn't fun. Big mistake I purchased x2

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ this belongs to the "ridiculous auctions" 🤣 🤣 🤣
the M919 is a low-tier pc-chips mobo with or without the module 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 18, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a PC Chips M919 v3.4 that takes that module, currently running without cache. I had resigned myself to run without cache since the only one I found online was that eBay auction for $150. Let me know if you decide to sell it.

I posted about it a while ago: Bought a 486 motherboard

Reply 6 of 18, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's really not that bad of a board. I've been running mine stable with a nice 120mhz cyrix 5x86 for awhile now. I don't think buying/selling is allowed on the forums so keep that in mind but I'd say a reasonable non ebay price for these would be between $30 and $50. I paid $40 for mine about 2 years ago.

Reply 7 of 18, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AllUrBaseRBelong2Us wrote:

I have a PC Chips M919 v3.4 that takes that module, currently running without cache. I had resigned myself to run without cache since the only one I found online was that eBay auction for $150. Let me know if you decide to sell it.

I posted about it a while ago: Bought a 486 motherboard

mine says M919-01S3 and not M919-02S5 like in the ebay auction. no idea if that makes a difference.
as i don't have any use for it and you have, I'd sell it to you if you wish.

What would be a fair price? I don't want to rip you off but I also don't want to give it away as a gift 😀
Maybe you have something I need?

Reply 8 of 18, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you guys do decide to trade or sell the Cache module I would advise you do it through PM. Buying and selling is not allowed on the forum.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 9 of 18, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemail wrote:

mine says M919-01S3 and not M919-02S5 like in the ebay auction. no idea if that makes a difference.
as i don't have any use for it and you have, I'd sell it to you if you wish.

Probably because of the different RAM ICs. Yours looks like it has Samsung chips, and the eBay one says "Alliance" but that logo looks like Mitsubishi.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 10 of 18, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemail wrote:
AllUrBaseRBelong2Us wrote:

What would be a fair price? I don't want to rip you off but I also don't want to give it away as a gift 😀
Maybe you have something I need?

scroll up, I answered this for you

Reply 12 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mockingbird wrote:

There's one liste online for $150:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201243815960

I paid $50 for a M919 with the cache, RAM and a AMD 5x86 133 about the same time he started listing that one. I would never pay that price. I'd sooner try to find one in a scrap gold lot.

Reply 14 of 18, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pabloz wrote:

i got 4 but won´t sell
its like bitcoin, in some years i will buy a car with them.

I guess you are the alexanrs.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 15 of 18, by p24t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pabloz wrote:

i got 4 but won´t sell
its like bitcoin, in some years i will buy a car with them.

🤣. so many differences here. right now, bitcoin has the illusion of being one-of-a-kind to a lot of people who don't really understand crypto (and those are the majority of the people driving up the price). but in reality, if someone wants crypto for a practical purpose, there are many others to choose from, and also easy enough for someone to create their own.

the cache module is a nice-have for these pcchips boards, but that's all. after a certain price point, it's more prudent to just do without it, or even buy a different 486 board.

Reply 17 of 18, by p24t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

PC CHIPS is crap anyway, this won't ever gain value in the future.

I agree there's no way a pcchips board will go up in value. I keep it because it works and I don't feel like fumbling around trying to find a better board without problems. Also, it's got pci slots so I can use my adaptec 2940uw 😁

Reply 18 of 18, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A german seller sold a few for €19.90 a piece, so I highly doubt that they will some day be a treasury item.
The board itself, albeit mechanically inferior, seems to be more than pretty good though.