Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AllUrBaseRBelong2Us wrote:
Evert wrote:

Well, there are advantages to using SATA drives over IDE ones, one of them being the newer SATA drive isn't likely to suffer from mechanical problems.

I'd agree that new drives are far less likely to have problems due to wear, but many of the older drives were made better--they sold at retail prices significantly higher than the modern $15 SATA DVD burners, which are mostly plastic and very cheap metal.

That said, I really like SCSI optical for old systems because the SCSI drives were some of the highest quality made. They also have the analog audio outputs. A nice Adaptec SCSI controller can be had on eBay for $15.

yea I've still got my plextor 2x CD-RW bought for my familys IBM Aptiva in 97, i think my dad paid 900 for it, and it still reads

Reply 21 of 26, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Evert wrote:

Well, there are advantages to using SATA drives over IDE ones, one of them being the newer SATA drive isn't likely to suffer from mechanical problems.

AFAIK, you can still buy new IDE optical drives, although they are a bit more expensive than their SATA counterparts.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 22 of 26, by jskyboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jr_ wrote on 2015-03-15, 11:37:

check out this drive backpanel, it's a ASUS DRW-2014L1T. Might be a good candidate for a modification to see if it works.

Thank you for your post. Sorry to necro such an old thread but I really wanted to thank Jr_ for the tip. I tried this with the mentioned ASUS DRW-2014L1T and the analog port does work. I also looked at the 2 pin connector next to the analog and while it is perfectly spaced for a digital port it is not intended for that on this drive. On my drive the circuit for the two pins were missing some components but had the missing components been there following the trace it seems to go to the front ejection button. Perhaps somewhere on the board is an easy access for the digital signal and it could be made to work with a bodge wire but I could not identify where that might be and could not find a pinout for the main chip.

Reply 23 of 26, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jskyboo wrote on 2024-06-08, 23:32:
Jr_ wrote on 2015-03-15, 11:37:

check out this drive backpanel, it's a ASUS DRW-2014L1T. Might be a good candidate for a modification to see if it works.

Thank you for your post. Sorry to necro such an old thread but I really wanted to thank Jr_ for the tip. I tried this with the mentioned ASUS DRW-2014L1T and the analog port does work. I also looked at the 2 pin connector next to the analog and while it is perfectly spaced for a digital port it is not intended for that on this drive. On my drive the circuit for the two pins were missing some components but had the missing components been there following the trace it seems to go to the front ejection button. Perhaps somewhere on the board is an easy access for the digital signal and it could be made to work with a bodge wire but I could not identify where that might be and could not find a pinout for the main chip.

I am surprised. Do you have a photo of your analogue adaption to the PCB? I wish all SATA CD-ROMs would have kept the analogue audio jacks.

For the most part, I gave up on using SATA CD-ROM drives in these old systems. I still may use them for fast P3 systems, but usually with an IDE adaptor. For a P3 1.4 GHz, the need for analogue CD-ROM playback is almost nil.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 24 of 26, by jskyboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2024-06-09, 07:22:

I am surprised. Do you have a photo of your analogue adaption to the PCB? I wish all SATA CD-ROMs would have kept the analogue audio jacks.

For the most part, I gave up on using SATA CD-ROM drives in these old systems. I still may use them for fast P3 systems, but usually with an IDE adaptor. For a P3 1.4 GHz, the need for analogue CD-ROM playback is almost nil.

Here you go. I took the cd audio port from a donor SB Live. No other modifications were needed to get analog audio to work, just added the port and plugged it in like normal.

Reply 25 of 26, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2015-03-15, 09:01:

Unfortunately, that option is greyed out. I am using an AWE64Value. Do any SATA to ATA bridge adapters have an analogue out header?

sadly that is not how that works.

However, if you dont mind an expensive experiment, this samsung DVD-RW appears to have HEADER provisions for CDDA.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Optical-Drive- … s%2C328&sr=1-20

as does this LG

https://www.amazon.com/Internal-Blu-ray-M-DIS … s%2C328&sr=1-22

(edit)

But it looks like the issue was already resolved with yet a different one with CDDA headers. Well, there's two new ones from amazon that seem to have them.

Reply 26 of 26, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a few WH16NS40's that have the space and solder points for a audio header, not sure if they are wired to work....My WH12LS39 has the space but no solder points...
added: maybe I should check one of those 16NS40 to see if the analog is wired but missing the socket....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun