VOGONS

Common searches

Direct3D games in DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 78, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another problem is which version of GLQuake to test. There's several versions, and i'm counting the official ones here:

- January '97 pre-release (a little hard to locate, I do have this one)
- March '97 release
- August '97 releases
- October '97 release
- November '97 release

They all ship witha 3dfx MiniGL named as Opengl32.dll in the folder, so be aware of that if you replace files in the Quake folder.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 61 of 78, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, I am more inclined towards Direct3D benchmarks to pit DOSBox against real machines in the era of 1995-1999. My main desktop running Win7 32-bit is also an old Core2 E8400@3.0G with GeForce 9400. From most of the past 3D games performance database archives, I think I am getting very close and some time better than P166+Voodoo1. In essence, no more hunting down fans' patches, building vintage machines etc. The games will just work right out-of-box with DOSBox.

I have been able to patch the DOSBox SVN with just the right stuffs to get Win9x/3Dfx gaming to work. It is patched against r3848 but should also works with r3858. The patch contains:
- h-a-l-9000 paging patch
- gulikoza glide patch
- kekko voodoo1 emulation patch (extracted from TestBuild-3)

Reply 62 of 78, by truth_deleted

User metadata

I use additional patches, such as an S3 patch (which is incorporated into Ykhwong's build). Either way, it may be reasonable to benchmark on a Direct3D game such as Jedi Knight until a list of D3d playable games are made. I also would guess that a D3d5 era benchmark software would provide a more reliable benchmark test than other versions, but I'd have to look further into this to be certain.

I've had good success running directx 3d games in 3dfx and software mode, but D3d mode has been less successful. For instance, Jedi Knight runs fine, but Rainbox Six shows graphical glitches. Fortunately, Rainbox Six has a software mode, but my CPU is too slow for it.

Reply 63 of 78, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Attached voodoo1 patch for SVN r3858. This was something I was looking for but I end up doing it myself. It only contains a clean kekko voodoo1 emulation patch (extracted from TestBuild-3). Somehow, h-a-l-9000's paging patch is no longer required at r3858.

Tomb Raider II (DirectX 5) works perfectly at 800x600x16bpp on Core2 Duo. I believe a lot more games would be extremely enjoyable with more recent CPU.
Other working Direct3D games I have tried:
- Mech2 3Dfx (Glide.dll/sst1init.dll)
- Mercenaries Retailed patched to D3D 1.08/1.10
- Mercenaries 3Dfx 1.05/patched 1.10
- Titanium series MW2/GBL/Mercs (Glide2x/Direct3D)
- AvP1 Gold

Heavy Gear 2 launched but the game seems to crash due to deadlock in dyn_X86 CPU core as shown in DOSBOX debugger (--enable-debug=heavy). DOSBox itself is not crashing. If any DOSBox developers is interested to debug this, I can help to reproduce the hung.

Updated patch available at:
Re: Tutorial: dosbox with Glide under Linux

Last edited by kjliew on 2014-06-09, 17:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 64 of 78, by Sheriff Hobbes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've applied the patch to the 3858-build, but the make process ends with two errors:

In file included from voodoo_opengl.h:33:0,
from voodoo_emu.cpp:81:
voodoo_vogl.h:28:34: error: ?void (* glActiveTextureARB)(GLenum)? redeclared as different kind of symbol
In file included from /usr/include/SDL/SDL_opengl.h:46:0,
from voodoo_vogl.h:24,
from voodoo_opengl.h:33,
/usr/include/GL/gl.h:2001:23: error: previous declaration of ?void glActiveTextureARB(GLenum)?
voodoo_vogl.h:29:36: error: ?void (* glMultiTexCoord4fARB)(GLenum, GLfloat, GLfloat, GLfloat, GLfloat)? redeclared as different kind of symbol
/usr/include/GL/gl.h:2029:23: error: previous declaration of ?void glMultiTexCoord4fARB(GLenum, GLfloat, GLfloat, GLfloat, GLfloat)?
voodoo_vogl.h:30:37: error: ?void (* glMultiTexCoord4fvARB)(GLenum, const GLfloat*)? redeclared as different kind of symbol
/usr/include/GL/gl.h:2030:23: error: previous declaration of ?void glMultiTexCoord4fvARB(GLenum, const GLfloat*)?

I'm running Debian 7 64-bit.

Marriage is a three ring circus:
-engagement ring
-wedding ring
-suffering

H. L. Mencken

Reply 66 of 78, by Galatea2.2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Truth5678, I've followed your Win98 instructions and everything set up nice. Great guide!

Have done some testing too, and Asghan/Time Warriors in 3dfx worked great (fullscreen is also operational with your latest test build, though cutscenes remain black). Had additional success with GTA; not so much with FIFA 98 (glitchy and freezes after a couple of seconds into a match).

Overall looking very promising. Thanks for taking the time to type up detailed instructions and following up with updates!

Reply 67 of 78, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Thank you! Please also refer to these two sites:
Minimal install for DOSBox/95 gaming
http://www.si-gamer.net/truth/

They have instructions to install a minimal version of Windows 95.

Also, try dosbox-x which is available from the patches subforum here. It has very extensive updates to dosbox, including crucial and essential ones for Windows 9x. Codeholio is developing dosbox-x and the updates number in the hundreds.

I would backup your current dosbox and hard disk image, and then experiment with the above information, as you have time. In addition, I posted an update to the 3dfx code which may impact those games you listed. In any case, the instructions in this thread are not that different from the sites I posted.

Reply 68 of 78, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I keep having this problem with "Star wars episode I racer" on my Windows 9x on DOSbox SVN 5/6/2013.
When everytime I start or reset a race the CPU opponents some times go off the track and start driving around in circles, I tried crashing to see if everything is fine, but it wasn't I crashed int the rock and the game on DOSbox freezes. The FPS of the game is fine now on Windows 9x when playing on DOSbox by cause I have output set on openglnb, Voodoo with opengl and I have Glide set on emu but still... And some times the same thing happens when I don't crash.

I don't have footage of the crashing one. But here is the one with the no crashing but dosen't show the other racers going off the track. But... I have picture proof of the racers going off the track if you look on the map. (I think the reason why is the DOSbox pentium is only 70Mhz while the game requires 166mhz.)

Picture proof of the racers off the track for the reason of it freezing when not crashing. (PS I have Windows 9x on DOSbox on fullscreen mode.)

IMG_0001.JPG
Filename
IMG_0001.JPG
File size
2.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Video footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654gvfbMG0I

If anyone knows a trick on how to fix this, I would like to know.

Reply 69 of 78, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep having this problem with "Star wars episode I racer" on my Windows 9x on DOSbox SVN 5/6/2013.

I think you need to use a more recent version of DOSBox SVN.
You also didn't tell us what kind of HW you have for running Win9x on DOSBox. If the game requires PII-300MHz class to work best, then you probably need very high-end setup to be able to play it on Win9x DOSBox.

Reply 74 of 78, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DOSfan1994 wrote:

Ok I am using a voodoo 1 accelerator with soundblaster 16 and pentium for my processor and I am using Windows 95 B.

I think he is referring to the hardware of the computer you are using to run DOSBox.

Also, why are you using a version of DOSBox from two years ago?

Reply 76 of 78, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't understand what you're hoping to accomplish here. If the problems you are experiencing are due to bugs in DOSBox, then they might have been fixed at some point since 5/6/2013 and a newer version will solve your problems.