VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 48, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You sound like my roomate who was also confused by this. Though I think that was more related to him disliking the direction they've taken Joe in. There seem to be fairly obvious clues on where it's going. They feel they've played out the PC manufacturing space, and will move on to software dev, BBS days, and likely eventually early internet.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 21 of 48, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right. I suppose I should have said the Cardiff story line seems played
out, maybe they will pick up with Cameron's company.
I'm not confused so much as wondering how they are going to bring all the
characters back together, or if they are going to pursue branching storylines.

Also, I was sort of scratching my head at the torching the truck thing, I know
that was a reference back to him talking about them torching the best Viking
ship but I wasn't sure why that wasn't a big deal (unless those were the defective
units?). Admittedly I dozed off for a bit so I might have missed something.

Reply 23 of 48, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Second season is off and running with a bang about three-four weeks ago, I am highly impressed so far! However, I am an "easy sell" for this show... 😉

An acquaintance recently described it as "Mad Men with Computers" - truth! 🤣

That said, an Internet acquaintance of mine recently played "spot the inaccuracies" - see how many you can find! 😀 It is supposed to be taking place in early 1985.
HCF_c64.jpg

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 48, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the monitor connected at all?

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 27 of 48, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not going to argue here because my sight's far too gone at this point, but that totally doesn't say "something.exe" to me.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 29 of 48, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Other things wrong with the screencap (from my peanut gallery)
- the FDD
- 4 devices off - no power lights on the 1541s (well admittedly, you could leave one 1541 off)
- no ",8,1"

Stiletto

Reply 30 of 48, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been watching the episodes pretty much a few hours after they are aired, and definitely on this 3rd episode when Gordon loads his SOMARIS program was a chuckle moment for me. I have almost no experience with Commodore 64's, but i don't think any C64 programs used an .EXE file extension. They probably showed this way cause .EXE files still rings a bell for people who used computers in the 80's. Although its an obvious error, its an understandable one i guess.

Reply 32 of 48, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

I didn't know about this extremely funny Cardiff Giant story. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Ah so there's the explanation for Gordon's rant about the Giant in the first season.

Reply 33 of 48, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've not watched the show so I may not be able to judge rightly here, but it's very much a standard practice for TV shows and movies to display computers merely as props and have someone or something else drive them displays from behind because actors don't generally know how to operate computers. That's why you see these people banging on the keyboards like real pros but it's all make believe; I understand that.

However, not even getting this pre-recorded, pre-scripted stuff, even the peripherals right, that's full-blown mediocrity on the producer's part, as he could have easily hired someone acknowledgeable enough on the subject to help with these scenes.

Reply 34 of 48, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lo Wang wrote:

I've not watched the show so I may not be able to judge rightly here

The irony is that the premise of the show is the story of the computer age we live in, from a second-stringer computer company in Texas, starting in 1983. Which is a brilliant idea, really, because how many times do people have to rehash the stories of Gates, Jobs and Wozniak for us? But anyhow, by this point in the second season, they're starting to talk about BBS-like systems, hacking, all sorts of things, since we're now in 1985. They generally get the "feel" right but some people are sticklers for detail, especially considering the subject matter. So it's ironic that, having spent all this time on details, the look of the shag carpeting and avocado refrigerators and whatnot, and the computer technology, but not the LOAD command details on the Commodore 64 - and so on. All the computer stuff though is merely what sets the corporate intrigue and personal drama in motion though - it's really more about that. "Mad Men with Computers" as someone said. It really is a decent show.

Stiletto

Reply 35 of 48, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can understand some of the details bugging people, but it really is quite a good show.

Plus, you can't beat the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sFK0-lcjGU

When was the last time a bunch of middle-aged guys could start a band, anyway? 😁
Maybe it's just because I grew up with it, but I get a kick out of the music.

It looks like they are strongly hinting at them developing some soft of Doom or Wolfenstein-like game as well, although I don't know how they are going to deal with the lack of graphical power on those machines unless they take serious liberties. Would an XT be able to do any sort of raycasting FPS type game, and online? I'm just not sure that is realistic.

Reply 36 of 48, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snorg wrote:

It looks like they are strongly hinting at them developing some soft of Doom or Wolfenstein-like game as well, although I don't know how they are going to deal with the lack of graphical power on those machines unless they take serious liberties. Would an XT be able to do any sort of raycasting FPS type game, and online? I'm just not sure that is realistic.

I don't think they'll go THAT far, they're just making an analogy to more modern times. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 37 of 48, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just watched an introduction to the series and....let's say I know my flesh well enough to tell with certainty that I'm only gravitating towards it because of the new wave/italo discoish music and a few terms and micros they flashed here and there. That's just part of being a helpless 80's junkie.

There's also whoremongery going on, and I'm not about to set that junk before my eyes, even if I could be bothered to get a TV set or converter that would handle a digital signal, for I gave up television a loooong time ago.

Sorry folks, I'm passing on this one.

Reply 38 of 48, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wonder who created Halt and Catch Fire....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Qfbrc1jdo

Not sure where you're getting the "whoremongery" from, there aren't any prostitutes on the show. Lee Pace's character (Joe) perhaps is what has a bee in your bonnet.

Reply 39 of 48, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snorg wrote:

... It looks like they are strongly hinting at them developing some soft of Doom or Wolfenstein-like game ...

Far too low horsepower for that, but may be something simpler in the style of MIDI Maze.

I love Halt and Catch Fire's intro. Just awesome! respect-048.gif

Let the air flow!