VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I have a question related to SoftMPU.

There is a known issue with almost every Creative Labs Sound Blaster that games freeze randomly if you select MPU-401 MIDI output on the Sound Blaster.
Is it possible to find and fix the bug utilizing SoftMPU?

This is reproducible e.g. with Tie Fighter.

Read more:
Vintage ISA DOS Gaming Sound Card Rankings System
SB Vibra 16S / Vibra Pro / AWE64 output quality

Thanks.

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 3 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never heard of this. What games freeze? One of the linked threads mentioned Tie Fighter. What other games are affected.

I agree, just use another card as the main MPU401 interface. Configure the Creative card's MPU401 at 300, and the other card on 330. Make sure no other resources clash.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 7, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is only Tie Fighter so far, yes.
But I have no slot left, so I will try my luck with the delay

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 5 of 7, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schlang wrote:

It is only Tie Fighter so far, yes.
But I have no slot left, so I will try my luck with the delay

I know this is an old thread, but having experienced the game freezing issue with a SB16 CT2230 using the MPU401 interface (Dreamblaster X1 waveteable DB) with Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat II. Duke Nukem 3D stutters, but does not out-right freeze when Sound FX is set at 16 KHz and above (the higher the sampling rate, the more it stutters).

Doom-based games (Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen) seem fine.

I am also having a hard time finding mentions of games freezing/stuttering with SB16 and MPU in use. This is the first thread I found so far that sounds similar to my experience.

In the thread I opened, I thought I read someone say it was a known issue with Duke 3D and SB16 with MPU. I haven't found that many other people experiencing the same thing (using Google search).

UPDATE: The SB AWE64 Value (CT4520) has the exact issue. Weird because it's not supposed to have the hanging bug, and I thought the game freezing was related. Apparently it is not.

Reply 6 of 7, by heretic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for necroposting here but i found exactly the same issue with CT1750+Dreamblaster X2 in Duke 3D. Selecting GM/Waveblaster in settings makes game laggy, freezing for 1-2 seconds each time midi sequence changes. Other games seems fine, tested this in Doom, Doom 2 and Blood. Also got CT4520 but with AWE32 selected in settings it runs smoothly.

Will test this with ESS or Yamaha card today