VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I'm wondering if there are any Windows GUI accelerators that have 16-bit drivers and work on a 286 cpu. I only have CL-GD5429 ISA card but it seems the drivers are 32-bit. I can install drivers on 286 but Windows won't load. It just drops to Command prompt after the 1st Microsoft Windows logo. There is no error message, but I'm guessing they are 32-bit.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 13, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 286 processors are either 16 bit or 8 bit. It is impossible to run 32 bit applications on one. The 386 was the first of the Intel processors to include 32 bit support. And, THEORETICALLY anything ISA should run with a 286, since ISA is 16 or 8 bit. (Not all work, however) I wouldn't know of a GPU though since I don't have any 286 machines.

Q: Why didn't Intel call the Pentium the 586?
A: Because they added 486 and 100 on the first Pentium and got 585.999983605.

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/pentium.jokes.html

Reply 4 of 13, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, and another thing: Windows 3.1 is 16 bit, and not 32. Windows 3.1 can only use 16 or 8 bit drivers. So, it is a problem with your drivers. You have to type this in DOS:

cd Windows
setup.exe

Then, in setup, push the up arrow until you are on VGA and press enter. Then scroll down in the next menu to "Other (Requires Disk Provided By a Hardware Manufacturer)" . After that it will prompt you to put in the directory. Do that, and then select the appropriate version of the driver from the list.
Hope this helps. You cannot really change display driver inside of Windows. You can only do it through the setup program. Need any more help? You can also PM me if you want.

Reply 6 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Drivers for CL-5429 are from 1994 and are compatible with Windows 3.1 - so it says. But looking at the file list, there is a file named: VDD542X.386 and this clearly wants 32-bit cpu.

I checked drivers for Tseng ET4000 and ET4000/w32 - they both have VDDTLI4.386.

I'm guessing the GUI acceleration was only implemented in 32-bits - maybe there are some Windows restrictions and GUI acceleration only works in Enhanced mode.

PeterLI & sliderider: get the drivers for your card and (at least) check the files.

HardwareExtreme: I know the basics (been around that long) 😉

Reply 7 of 13, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if I insulted you. I at least had that problem with setting up drivers, but not with a 286. Currently, I only have one 386 25MHz, and nothing earlier. I do have some cards laying around that are 286-era, but I do not know what kind of cards they are, since I mostly use an ISA ATI card of some sort or a VESA Cirrus Logic card I have for 486s. The reason why I said about using setup is because there are some new DOS users (I am somewhat of one, but I do have a sizable amount of experience) who aren't familiar with Windows 3.1. Anyways, I'll see if I can find any cards that do have drivers, and tell you about them.

Reply 8 of 13, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got protection-faults when using Highcolor-Drivers with Win3.1 on a 286.
But my diamond-speedstar and the et4000 with highcolor doc work fine with my 286 and windows 3.0!

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 9 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What chipset does your speedstar use? I believe it's ET4000 or ET4000AX - which aren't GUI accelerators.

HardwareExtreme: no problemo 😉

Reply 12 of 13, by happycube

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think some of the early S3's and ATI accelerators were based on the 8514A adapter, and I figure they're more likely to have 286-mode accelerated drivers.

Also look for cards that had Windows 2.x accelerated support, sometimes the drivers move up (or the company ported it to Win3.0...)