Fastest emulators period

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 87, by noop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

Come on guys somebody recommend a good DOS Atari 2600 emulator 😜

I have an unfinished one lying around for 10+ years. Is there demand for a tiny 2600 emu with full speed on slow 486? 😀

Reply 21 of 87, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noop wrote:
Cyberdyne wrote:

Come on guys somebody recommend a good DOS Atari 2600 emulator 😜

I have an unfinished one lying around for 10+ years. Is there demand for a tiny 2600 emu with full speed on slow 486? 😀

I don't have easy access to a 486 at the moment, but I would like to see it. I could probably try it out in PCem.

Reply 22 of 87, by noop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I don't have easy access to a 486 at the moment, but I would like to see it. I could probably try it out in PCem.

I think I'll have to fix a few things and test on 386 or 486 myself. Have plenty of hardware lying around, just trying to find motivation to make something useful with it.

Reply 24 of 87, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I edited the OP 🤣

Yeah, there's a pretty big difference between "fast" emulators and "accurate" emulators. Most emulators strive for the latter nowadays, though I kind of miss the charm the earlier emulators had.

Reply 26 of 87, by noop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure about Stella's performance though..
Some quite fast emulators for DOS and windows are available here: http://emulators.com/download.htm
Atari 800 emu should work on 386
Would be interesting to measure performance for all emulators listed. What systems are really required to run some specific software at full speed.
For Megadrive, there is Genecyst. It is generally less precise then Kgen98 but could be faster.

Last edited by noop on 2015-07-28, 18:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 27 of 87, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought Genecyst and Kgen98 ran mostly the same speed though Kgen had a slight edge for accuracy/compatibility. it also has a HORRIBLE time generating a lookup table on its first start though

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 87, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I also want to do is measure which version of ZSNES (DOS) is fastest in 5 games in the default 8bpp resolution and with sound enabled

- Battletoads & Double Dragon
- Chrono Trigger
- Mario Kart for Mode7+DSP1
- Starfox, just the title screen and intro alone is enough for SuperFX performance. This is the Crysis
- Gradius III - just the Konami logo alone will kill the frames.

Measured on a 486 class processor... or a Pentium non-MMX.

EDIT: a bunch of preliminary testing led me favoring ZSNES 0.989 so far, it gets an almost consistent 30+fps on the Chrono Trigger intro sequence

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 29 of 87, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding Corn. Iirc that only either played demos or very barely was able to play mario64 but I can't remember 100% for sure. I do have all the binaries as far as I know archived from 10 years ago from zophar and the one n64 site that had a lot of compatibility stuff archived ( can't remember the name of the site, though I do remember it was a UK hosted site )

Reply 30 of 87, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Waverace 64 could also be completed in Corn, except for one level which corrupts verts a bunch where it covers the screen. and the announcer gets a strange pitch shift

Back in 2000 I juggled between Corn, and some hacked up UltraHLE

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 33 of 87, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kazblox wrote:

Warajevo does pretty good for Spectrum emulation on a 386SX-33.

Actually, as leilei pointed out earlier, things like Warajevo, DosUAE and VICE are all off-topic since none are console or arcade emulators.

Thread cleanup: I guess I'll remove their mentions then, leilei? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 34 of 87, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for this thread. I have been preparing a game machine which consists of a pentium 1 133mhz (non-mmx) with 64mbs of ram. I am using FreeDos as OS. The machine is not really fast, so I am happy to get some ideas on fast/efficient emulators that can run well in this machine.
If I may ask, isn't genecyst supposed to be the faster mega drive emulator for older pcs?

Also, another thing: I have tried running the DOS version of no$gba, to play Need for Speed Most Wanted, and it plays terribly slow. But the readme file indicates a 486 as being usable. Does anyone know of any setting I might have to adjust, or some other emulator that can emulate GBA in Dos??
Thanks!

Reply 35 of 87, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TRS-32

"The CPU emulation is extremely accurate, supports all known instructions, and runs at exact TRS-80 speed. It is also extremely fast, being written in assembly language, and can exceed actual TRS-80 speed on any computer capable of running Windows"

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 39 of 87, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm that Callus was very fast. I was running it on a non-MMX Pentium1 133MHz to play Capcom games (Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Street Fighter 2, Knights of the Round, etc) at full speed. It seemed like magic back then.