VOGONS

First post, by Automat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi team,

i could get my hands on a PCChips M585LMR rev. 1.2 which is fully equipped with all, what can be needed:
Modem, LAN, Sound, VGA, K6-2 500, 3 RAM Slots, etc.
The board runs fine (only for testing, w/o OS, 110*5), but and I consider whether it is worth to build up a complete SS7 rig.
Is this board something special? Or is it better to hang it on the wall for decoration purposes... 🤣

Reply 1 of 5, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I have found researching online if it is functional it would make a good little 98se system. Along the lines of a weak P2/3 system! For the right price it is a good deal and does not deserve being hung on the wall unless for non-functional purposes 😀 (take a close look at the caps for bulges)

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 5, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

in general , i hate pcchips.

But this board is interesting, it comes with the somewhat uncommon mvp4, a upgraded version of the famous mvp3. Mvp4 was a very late socket7 chipset (like alladin 7) and was adopted on very few motherboards.

Like ODwilly said, take a look at the caps, pcchips uses poor quality caps.

Reply 5 of 5, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC the integrated video on these is a Trident Blade, which is pretty good quality 2D and not a terrible 3D performance for the budget market it belongs in. I think the range of Socket 7-SS7 cpu's you could use with it along with the ability to combine the integrated gpu with a Voodoo would make it a neat build 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1