VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 8481 of 52728, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

At least you didn't get a version of that mobo with fake cache. As ODwilly said, that's one of the few examples of a decent PC Chips board.

philscomputerlab wrote:

At least you didn't get a version of that mobo with fake cache. As ODwilly said, that's one of the few examples of a decent PC Chips board.

ODwilly wrote:

Hey if it has real cache that is a great motherboard! It supports EVERY 486 chip just about and has a bunch of great features one of the rare examples of a good PC CHIPS board. EDIT: Just saw it has real cache, nice!!!

I have in my pile another m912 (dead) and looks very poor quality. This one looks much more decent.

I need to find a multi io VLB (impossible mission here).

Reply 8482 of 52728, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Antec PSU. Got it for 20 Danish Kroners. (3 US Dollars)
I looks brand new, besides some scuff-marks and a tiny bit of dust.

A-01.jpg

A-02.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8483 of 52728, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
8086-ProGamer wrote:

And some other Pentium (socket 7/370 and AMD K8 CPU coolers

It's the 1.44 floppies, and the coolers that are the most interresting things.
One can never have too many disks. 😀

Reply 8487 of 52728, by MrTentacleGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got an IBM Aptiva E240.

It's rough specs are:

AMD K6 (didn't check the speed)
192 MB ram
built-in ESS Solo sound card
3DFX v2-1000 8MB graphics card (w/passthru cable)
built-in ATI 3D Rage Pro
6GB HD
Win 98 SE

And it came with Quake 3 installed. The cashier entered the wrong price so she let me have it for $10.

Last edited by MrTentacleGuy on 2015-07-27, 20:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8488 of 52728, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was in San Diego for the weekend and decided to check out one of the famous swap meets in the area I've heard so much about. unfortunately didn't find much except a few boxed MS-DOS games and this

20150727_012622_zpseri33wzh.jpg

only $7, I never played around with Kyro II cards before so I grabbed it. I cleaned the dust around the heatsink you see and tried it out and it works. only problem is the fan is dead but the card seems to work just fine.

Reply 8489 of 52728, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgraffite wrote:

1GB DDR1 sticks with 2 3 2 6 timings, and LED activity lights

Saw that in 2005 down at Cebit. It was some kind of Casemodding booth at the Corsair-stand.
Me personally, was more interrested in Geil memmory and new Motherboards from Asus and Asrock.
Rember passing by the Zeta-OS booth, and them demonstrating like 10xspeed on same hardware as WinXP.
Good times. Good times.

Reply 8490 of 52728, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That RAM was always a silly novelty item in my mind, but it did look cool. As for motherboards, back then Chaintech, DFI and ECS were the ones to watch, they made some strange stuff.

soviet conscript wrote:
Was in San Diego for the weekend and decided to check out one of the famous swap meets in the area I've heard so much about. unf […]
Show full quote

Was in San Diego for the weekend and decided to check out one of the famous swap meets in the area I've heard so much about. unfortunately didn't find much except a few boxed MS-DOS games and this

20150727_012622_zpseri33wzh.jpg

only $7, I never played around with Kyro II cards before so I grabbed it. I cleaned the dust around the heatsink you see and tried it out and it works. only problem is the fan is dead but the card seems to work just fine.

Bought one of those new back when it was relevant... Don't get too excited, it didn't run much and what was functional ran poorly - worse than the expected TnL penalty, maybe my machine just didn't like it. I ended up keeping my SiS card for a while longer after returning it whilst I waited for a Radeon 7500 (Also Hercules) which was one of the best cards I ever had, I wish it still worked.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8491 of 52728, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought the card I always wanted for my dual PIII(Guile).

$_57.JPG

The nVidia Quadro 2 Pro. I've been hammering a poor little Radeon VE in there since ~2001, it is somewhat underpowered next to the rest of the system but has otherwise been a very good card and will find a home somewhere else - perhaps in a slower system of similar vintage I will be assembling with leftovers soon, ironically currently using a GeForce 2 MX in the testbed (A sheet of hardboard). This should prove a measurable upgrade.

The GPU of the Quadro 2 Pro seems to be the one from the GeForce 2 GTS/Ti. The machine isn't for gaming, it is a graphics workhorse for my animation and sometimes a little video editing, but primarily graphics and 3D scenes (Non-realtime) so the Quadro is likely the right choice as stability is the most important factor in this system. It's gotten me through a lot of tough patches the PIII, so I thought it deserved a little upgrade.

New laptop should arrive this week, can't wait, this Dell is busted, can't tell you how hard it is to type this. I won't miss this thing.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8492 of 52728, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this about a month ago, but I just got around to showing it off. SoftMPU works so well that these intelligent-mode cards are somewhat superfluous, but I really like them anyway.

P1110627.jpg

Reply 8493 of 52728, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

Bought this about a month ago, but I just got around to showing it off. SoftMPU works so well that these intelligent-mode cards are somewhat superfluous, but I really like them anyway.

Very nice! But you might still need SoftMPU with this for some games - Wing Commander for example is known to hang with the Music Quest cards depending on the firmware. I found out the hard way 😒

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8494 of 52728, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
Bought the card I always wanted for my dual PIII(Guile). […]
Show full quote

Bought the card I always wanted for my dual PIII(Guile).

$_57.JPG

The nVidia Quadro 2 Pro. I've been hammering a poor little Radeon VE in there since ~2001, it is somewhat underpowered next to the rest of the system but has otherwise been a very good card and will find a home somewhere else - perhaps in a slower system of similar vintage I will be assembling with leftovers soon, ironically currently using a GeForce 2 MX in the testbed (A sheet of hardboard). This should prove a measurable upgrade.

The GPU of the Quadro 2 Pro seems to be the one from the GeForce 2 GTS/Ti. The machine isn't for gaming, it is a graphics workhorse for my animation and sometimes a little video editing, but primarily graphics and 3D scenes (Non-realtime) so the Quadro is likely the right choice as stability is the most important factor in this system. It's gotten me through a lot of tough patches the PIII, so I thought it deserved a little upgrade.

New laptop should arrive this week, can't wait, this Dell is busted, can't tell you how hard it is to type this. I won't miss this thing.

Its even better! That looks like the ELSA Gloria III, hardware wise its more or less identical to the Geforce 2 Ultra only with the same clocks as the Geforce 2 Ti.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8495 of 52728, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
boxpressed wrote:

Very nice! But you might still need SoftMPU with this for some games - Wing Commander for example is known to hang with the Music Quest cards depending on the firmware. I found out the hard way 😒

I have the same card, WC is the ONLY game that require some help to get going. I can live with that.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8496 of 52728, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

I have the same card, WC is the ONLY game that require some help to get going. I can live with that.

Yeah I have the mqx-32m and quite like it - it plays Gateway, which is what I bought it for originally.

Good to hear from you vetz; you've been pretty quiet lately! Busy?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8497 of 52728, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
boxpressed wrote:

music quest cards with firmware V10 and up should work fine with WC, no fiddling required but I cant see the firmware version on that card.

Reply 8498 of 52728, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote:

music quest cards with firmware V10 and up should work fine with WC, no fiddling required but I cant see the firmware version on that card.

AFAIK that is only possible on the card Keropi owns (Music Quest MIDI card). The MQX-32(m) can't use this firmware as its a different card.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8499 of 52728, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

AFAIK that is only possible on the card Keropi owns (Music Quest MIDI card). The MQX-32(m) can't use this firmware as its a different card.

your right. its late and I'm tired. I just glanced at the card and assumed it was the same kind of music quest card with a different layout.