VOGONS

Sound cards - from best to worst

Topic actions

Reply 300 of 330, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I remember, SampleLink can convert 94B to SF2. However, it is not free and I don't remember exactly.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 301 of 330, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the fast reply.

It can, but the version I found is only a demo that does not convert the soundfont unfortunately.
And the software itself formerly costed $199 but is not avialible anymore.

Any further solutions.

Reply 302 of 330, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an EWS64XL but not right here. I'm afraid I can't assist you. Perhaps someone with the card can use Ed!son editor to somehow convert the bank.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 304 of 330, by Xmodule999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How to check (in DOS) my stereo on ESS AudioDrive card? Probably this stereo is reversed because of soundcard's architecture. I want to test it, which program to test left, then right channel? Max size of this program would be 1,40 MB.

Reply 305 of 330, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get a copy of the Sound Blaster Pro software? It includes a simple test program which plays a sample that pans from left to right (or the other way around, don't recall), so you can test your stereo.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 306 of 330, by Xmodule999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For example, is possible to check it in game "Descent". But size of this game is too high for one floppy.

Scali wrote:

Get a copy of the Sound Blaster Pro software?

Can someone write this name of this program? I know that there is this software, but I never use it from Creative (only ESS) - in my ESS (DOS) software I had many options, but without testing left and right channel.

Reply 307 of 330, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a list of all software: http://contents.driverguide.com/content.php?i … +1%2FREADME.TXT
I think the one you want is TEST-SBP.EXE.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 308 of 330, by Xmodule999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With file TEST-SBP.EXE i can't test channels separately, there is only test, but I mean testing left and right channel like in game Descent (send sound to left channel, after ~2 seconds send sound to right channel).

Reply 309 of 330, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you use the attached tool maybe?

IIRC SB Pro is always suspect regarding its stereo, since it was released with reversed stereo, and then drivers were created that reversed it, yet this caused problems on proper cards.

Attachments

• Filename
    MssPlay.zip
    File size
    355.06 KiB
    Downloads
    99 downloads
    File comment
    Miles Sound System - Play DIG Stereo Test
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 310 of 330, by Xmodule999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With Windows XP and his built-in driver - ES1688 AudioDrive (WDM), I have reversed stereo because of additional chipset ES968F (main chipset is ES1688, like in driver name). I was able to play file DIGTest.wav with Windows XP (by Windows Media Player), but how to play it in DOS? I want to know how it is with stereo in DOS. From this moment I need only WAV player (I need it because while loading program DIGplay I have message something like - please run SETSOUND file - but this file is missing in archive).

BTW: I also have soundcard without ES968F, only ES1688F and the same (WDM) audio driver, and stereo is not reversed.

Last edited by Xmodule999 on 2015-08-24, 19:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 313 of 330, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Correct. Any game with the Apogee Sound System (Affectionately known as "The A.S.S." to anyone who has poked the internals of the engine around) tests Left Channel, Right Channel an then Center for Stereo sound cards.

The audio engine for Terminal Velocity (I don't remember the name right now) also does the same thing - and was probably developed with an SB Pro because the stereo is reversed.

As for DOS WAV players... Never really used one, but I have used Ken Silverman's MP3 program (Uses the sound card) before. Though usually i have gone to the page (http://advsys.net/ken/utils.htm) to grab MP3PC or KPC which play files through the internal speaker instead.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 314 of 330, by Xmodule999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to play WAV with program QuickView Ver. 1.03b (with DOS driver for soundcard - file ESSCFG.EXE), but only one second of this WAV - after one second there is blockade, and I can only click "escape". Without driver I can play this file without any problems but not by soundcard - by PC speaker. So, how to fix it? Or are there any other programs to play WAV?

Reply 315 of 330, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xmodule999 wrote:

I was able to play WAV with program QuickView Ver. 1.03b (with DOS driver for soundcard - file ESSCFG.EXE), but only one second of this WAV - after one second there is blockade, and I can only click "escape".

That sounds a little like an IRQ problem. Try using SETBLAST ; there's a copy here.

Reply 316 of 330, by Xmodule999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I skipped SETBLAST, I decided to load program ESSCFG.EXE, then change IRQ to 10, DMA to 3, and now is possible to hear file DIGTEST.WAV by program QuickView 1.03b.

About soundcard with chipset ES968F - in DOS stereo is not reversed, in Windows 98 or similar (in my case Windows XP) stereo may be reversed because of two things - WDM driver and ES968F chipset.

EDIT: Where can I find how looks chipset ES938? Like ES968F, this is mixer expansion.

Last edited by Xmodule999 on 2016-11-04, 13:04. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 318 of 330, by Xmodule999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to add message here ( Turtle Beach Multisound Monterey ), but it was impossible for some reason. I decided to ask here - how looks Turtle Beach Multisound Monterey card (I was able to find picture of Turtle Beach Multisound Classic, but not Turtle Beach Multisound Monterey), anyone know? This card includes digital sound only, MIDI only or digital sound plus MIDI? DOS games that can support it - I know about one game, it's Skunny - Special Edition, more DOS games have support for it or not, if have support for it, which titles?