VOGONS

Reply 40 of 894, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hard1k wrote:

Holy cow, that's awesome! Another cool DIY project has come to life!

That is awesome. Looking forward to finding out when and where I can order one 😀

I do believe I will still finish this project though, if even just for my own amusement. It has a somewhat different goal that keropi's project.

Reply 43 of 894, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Chalk me down for one when they are available.

In the meantime following ab0tj's HardMPU project with interest.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 44 of 894, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm interested too. Awesome work!

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 45 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright, time for some updates to see what I've been up to while waiting for parts to arrive

first of all the bracket, it was such a chore to hunt for suitable ones or change the design to fit existing brackets so we now have our own custom brackets 😁 (these are some test brackets at the plant)

p9mguGW.jpg

JXGyu4c.jpg

so we made a proper fitting bracket in the end:

QgkS601.jpg

(yes that's an Amiga 2000 , the clone works fine with it along with a pc bridgeboard 🤣 )

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 48 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe in 2-3 weeks once all parts arrive I'll have some units for sale , it's really parts that delay since there is no software to worry about , 1:1 clone 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 51 of 894, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks great! I just bought 10 more Bryce MIF-IPC-A clone PCBs so I am all set myself. There should be healthy demand for PC MIDI Cards.

For my Bryce MIF-IPC-As I am going to experiment with backplates from eBay: cheap and fast.

Reply 52 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@badmojo
yes, the same exact cable that the original MQ MPU uses will work here, remember this is a 1:1 clone

thanks all for the kind words, it seems that 2015 is the MPU year 🤣

Reply 54 of 894, by Ticondrius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like one once they are available. Any chance it can be modified to support wavetable daughtercards, ala SCB-55 instead of having to connect an external unit...or be optional either way?

Reply 55 of 894, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

/\ yes it can, but the main project will probably not be modified. Anyone is free to "fork" it though. It is just a matter of slapping in the connector, route the MIDI OUT lines to the right pins and then expose the audio output in a jack or AUX connector. Some auxiliary analog circuitry might be needed. Alternatively there are external enclosures for daughtercards that will allow them to be used like normal MIDI modules.

Reply 56 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

... well theoretically you can add whatever extra you want 🤣
At this point though the clone card will remain a 1:1 one of the original. IMHO addind a wavetable header would be nice but all decent daughterboards nowdays cost more (often way more!) than their external-unit counterpart, take for example the SCB-55 and SC-55 ... not to mention the sc-55 looks cooler 😎

Now as for a small update on the project, I just finished testing the crap out of the 1st assembled clone (left is original , right is clone). I got some more pcbs and received yesterday almost all needed parts to build them 😀 - just waiting for some midi plugs to complete the breakout cables.
When I make the AmiBay sales thread you'll be able to see a couple of youtube videos I'll upload demonstrating some "difficult" intelligent mode games working fine: wing commander, gateway and laser squad. (I just took some quick videos with my phone camera - don't expect 1080p video with 192khz sound 🤣)
All will be sorted during the weekend , expect a pic with a small mpu army 🤣 🤣 🤣

uGofPZo.jpg

niMijDp.jpg

Reply 57 of 894, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AWESOME! Question about the cables....I know you made your own, is there an easy guide/materials/etc that we could follow?

Reply 58 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ do you have a mpu card without cable? I posted a schematic of the cable here: Music Quest PC MIDI Card MPU IH9MQ9 : info , drivers and tests , if you need more info tell me
In case you mean the clone cards, each will be sold ready-to-use with a breakout cable, the buyer won't have to solder or mod or assemble anything .

Reply 59 of 894, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

^ do you have a mpu card without cable? I posted a schematic of the cable here: Music Quest PC MIDI Card MPU IH9MQ9 : info , drivers and tests , if you need more info tell me
In case you mean the clone cards, each will be sold ready-to-use with a breakout cable, the buyer won't have to solder or mod or assemble anything .

Oh nice to know! I'll probably be being a card then. I'll keep watch!