VOGONS

First post, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear All,

I am using a first generation IBM APTIVA (486-DX2) as my early nineties DOS machine. It uses PC-DOS 2000 and favours a 5.25" Floppy over a CD-ROM drive.

Anyway IBM integrated a Cirrus CL-GD5428 on the mainboard (1M of memory). The riser card contains only ISA, so I am stuck with a more than acceptable chip for my purposes. In fact, I thought that I would never need to worry about SVGA until I found realised that SIMLIFE can run in 800x600(16 colour).

It didn't load properly so I figured that I would try booting a VESA driver. Cirrus's driver will only install under Windows 3.1, which this machine lacks. Thus I experimented with UNIVBE.

An old UNIVBE version (2.0 maybe?) detected the chip put proved futile against the SIMLIFE's high resolution.

UNIVBE 6.7 claims that no SVGA compatible chip is present. I saw the CL-GD5428 listed as a compatible with UNIVBE 6.7. I tried some older versions, only to get something like 'unable to write to input file'.

While the correct answer to my question is 'Who cares? Play something better than SIMLIFE', I would still appreciate any feedback. Also note, I am aware that UNIVBE may not solve my SIMLIFE issues.

Thank you

Reply 1 of 6, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps you can try some of the stuff here? http://www.dosdriver.de/graph.php
There are some Cirrus Logic TSRs for VESA there, as well as an older UNIVBE which might work.
I know I had a TSR for my CL5428 with my Diamond SpeedStar PRO VLB, and it seemed to work nicely. Perhaps you could locate that software, it might just work 😀

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 2 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I succesfully used these versions of UniVBE with a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 VLB graphics card with 2MB video memory:
UniVBE v5.0, Memory occupied 5,5 kB; VESA 1.2
UniVBE v5.1, Memory occupied 8,2 kB; VESA 2.0
UniVBE v5.3, Memory occupied 12,9 kB; VESA 2.0
UniVBE v6.5, Memory occupied 19,8 kB; VESA 3.0

You need to install UniVBE properly, it seeks a file in the root of C: to verify proper installation/registration.
Don't bother with UniVBE v6.7 in DOS, it got a lot worse for DOS with that last version.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 6, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Don't bother with UniVBE v6.7 in DOS, it got a lot worse for DOS with that last version.

What about it 'got worse'? I run 6.7 on my rig; seems to do its job fine.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

What about it 'got worse'? I run 6.7 on my rig; seems to do its job fine.

Compatibility with some older chipsets was dropped in 6.7 in my experience. It might not have been intentional, but - as gerwin stated - it got worse for DOS use.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've also got my share of hard-locks with 6.7 , it doesn't work in all the systems I have. They just added support for newer vga chipsets/systems and somehow broke something that affects old stuff IMHO. Luckily there are older version freely available as well 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's going on in your new avatar pic keropi? What's that little resistor dude holding in his hand??

Life? Don't talk to me about life.