VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1101 of 3949, by Arklay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Metal Gear Solid Windows 10 x64 perfect with dgvoodoo

Attachments

• 2015-09-15_190459.jpg
    Filename
    2015-09-15_190459.jpg
    File size
    83.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    with dgvoodoo
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2015-09-15_100914.jpg
    Filename
    2015-09-15_100914.jpg
    File size
    55.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    without dgvoodoo
    File license

Reply 1102 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't test Turok2 at the moment but I'll have a look. Back when I tested it with Glide rendering, it worked without a problem (but can't remember if I tried the game with DX wrapping).

I've just did a quick try with the first level (D3D) and didn't experience mouse problems.
However I came across the same phenomenon back when tried Shogo with vSync forced to off through the nVidia control panel.
In this case the game run at a very high fps and mouse movement couldn't be synchronized or had too big latency.
Isn't it the same problem for you?

(I can't test Turok2 on nVidia at the moment because my GTX 560Ti went wrong so I'm on my low-end ATI these days.)

Arklay wrote:

😎

Reply 1103 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
I've just did a quick try with the first level (D3D) and didn't experience mouse problems. However I came across the same phenom […]
Show full quote

I can't test Turok2 at the moment but I'll have a look. Back when I tested it with Glide rendering, it worked without a problem (but can't remember if I tried the game with DX wrapping).

I've just did a quick try with the first level (D3D) and didn't experience mouse problems.
However I came across the same phenomenon back when tried Shogo with vSync forced to off through the nVidia control panel.
In this case the game run at a very high fps and mouse movement couldn't be synchronized or had too big latency.
Isn't it the same problem for you?

(I can't test Turok2 on nVidia at the moment because my GTX 560Ti went wrong so I'm on my low-end ATI these days.)

Arklay wrote:

😎

Well I think the Shogo issue is an engine issue. It also happens with Blood 2. And I guess I'll recommend this again, you should add an FPS cap!

Reply 1104 of 3949, by Arklay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Shadowman windows xp sp2 compatibility mode perfect

Turok 1 crash with or without dgvoodoo

Turok 2 perfect more or less. 30 fps with several slowdowns especially with explosions, with powerarchiver perfect at 40 fps (AGAIN?). This on windowed and fullscreen mode. The mouse problem is caused (only fullscreen mode) by DPI setting. With 200 DPI is perfect but at 1600 DPI only the Y axis works.

Metal Gear Solid 2 crash with dgvoodoo then black screen, without I have the same error but the game runs without problem. Dgvoodoo logo is not visible

Slave Zero crash with or without dgvoodoo. This is the error log
SlaveZero caused a Privileged Instruction in module SlaveZero.exe at 0023:0041d849.
Exception handler called in Slave Zero main thread.
Error occurred at 9/16/2015 14:45:46.
C:\Slave Zero\SlaveZero.exe, run by Valerio.
4 processor(s), type 586.
1024 MBytes physical memory.

Registers:
EAX=00000001 CS=0023 EIP=0041d849 EFLGS=00010216
EBX=7ffde000 SS=002b ESP=0019fcac EBP=0019fcc0
ECX=0bfebfbf DS=002b ESI=00000000 FS=0053
EDX=6c65746e ES=002b EDI=00443fb0 GS=002b
Bytes at CS:EIP:
fa 8b 3d 50 52 44 00 ff d7 8b d8 ff d7 8b f0 3b

Attachments

• OK.jpg
    Filename
    OK.jpg
    File size
    74.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    200 DPI TUROK 2 OK
    File license
  • NOT OK.jpg
    Filename
    NOT OK.jpg
    File size
    76.34 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    1600 DPI TUROK 2 NOT OK
    File license
  • mgs2error.jpg
    Filename
    mgs2error.jpg
    File size
    11.16 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    MGS2 Error
    File license

Reply 1105 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:
If I replace that then Turok just stops finding its own video driver dll files. […]
Show full quote
Gamecollector wrote:

Turok have a behavior to crash if there is any .dll file except video_*.dll in the game directory. You must replace the *.dll* mask in the turok.exe to fix this (offset 92DD0).

If I replace that then Turok just stops finding its own video driver dll files.

Edit: oops got it. I feel stupid. *.dll* means import video drivers from all *.dll* and a crash when it runs into a dll that has no video drivers to export. Changing to something that only matches video drivers (*vide*) is of course what you're supposed to do.

Low framerate though (in both dgVoodoo2 and Glide, so not dgVoodoo2's fault). Edit: ... that's an internal framerate limiter you can modify with -MaxFramerate.

Just quoting myself. I've tested Turok and it definitely works. You just need to patch the exe to not load all DLL files it finds as video renderers.

Reply 1106 of 3949, by Kayten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there! 😀
I came across this thread recently and registered some hours ago to say how useful dgVoodoo 2 is!
In addition to wrapping older graphics APIs, making it possible to run aged games on current systems, it also allows them to be captured/recorded easily by programs like Dxtory or MSI Afterburner and probably Fraps too!
Especially games based on earlier DirectX/DirectDraw are quite a hassle to record, as none of these programs is able to hook into them. Windows 8 made it even worse by breaking MSI ABs method of desktop recording (switching resolution just stops the recording), which hasn't been fixed yet, Dxtory never was (and probably never will be) able to capture the desktop and Fraps seems to be abandoned.

Now, with dgVoodoo 2 wrapping them to DirectX 11, this problem doesn't exist anymore!
If a game runs without a crash, Dxtory and MSI Afterburner are both able to hook and capture it flawlessly.

I tested some games with dgVoodoo 2 and all of them were working with the exception of one.
These are the games I tried and working:
StarCraft
C&C: Red Alert 2
1602 A.D./Anno 1602
Star Wars Racer
N.I.C.E. 2

The only exception being "The Settlers 3", which doesn't like dgVoodoo 2 at all, crashing instantly at launch.
Apparently it can't find its gfx files anymore: "File siedler3_00.ff0000ff00ff.dat not found!"
However, actually there ARE gfx files but they're named a bit differently like "siedler3_00.f8007e01f.dat"
So somehow dgVoodoo 2 caused the game to look for "ff0000ff00ff" instead of "f8007e01f" resulting in a crash.

The solution seemed to be easy so I replaced every occurrence (within the filenames) with the one the game actually searches for but that was a pretty naive approach.
After renaming every file, the game complains about an unsupported pixel format, leaving me clueless how to handle this error.
Is there anything that can be done about it or something I can do to help solving it?
Even though the game works without dgVoodoo, being able to properly record it would be a real benefit for me and others too. 😀

Reply 1108 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to mention it: No reason to run Turok/Turok 2 under dgVoodoo2 as it's getting an updated Steam release soon (done by the same guy who did Doom64 EX and Powerslave EX).

Irrelevant for people just testing dgVoodoo2, but for people who want the best way to play Turok might want to wait a little.

Reply 1109 of 3949, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

or mabye someone doesn't want to buy again what they already bought before....unless this updated Turok 2 is free for prior owners which I highly doubt.

and best is relative.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1110 of 3949, by sherman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, slightly off topic.

Has anybody else noticed that with a AMD videocard on windows 10, 16-bit games seem to be dithering colours, where they never used to before?

I ask this because I (somehow) managed to install g-police on my 64-bit windows 10. When I ran it for the first time (without dgVoodoo2) I was astonished to see that there was no (or minimal) banding in the skybox. Sky went from black to red very smoothly. I also notice in Descent 3 that there is very minimal banding in 16-bit rendering mode as well. (there's a bug with the game meaning that the 32-bit setting does not stick)

So have I just somehow lucked out? Or has AMD done something?

Reply 1112 of 3949, by sherman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Windows 8/10 does not support 16-bit color. It is emulated. What you're seeing is that emulation, not improvements in AMD drivers.

It sure is an improvement over the 32-bit windows 7 install I was using.

Sadly, I was never able to get g-police running on my Win 8.1 64-bit system to test it out for some reason.

(and yes, this is all on the same hardware).

Reply 1113 of 3949, by Blairwitcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm new and finally I can enjoy again Blair Witch 3 thanks to dgVoodoo 😁
I selected the Virtual 3D accelerated card but I'm fumbling with the various options to achieve a faster loading of the save, and in general of the initial loading screen that also takes 30-40 sec before finishing.

Actually I found out for sure that touching the Antialiasing (MSAA) of the DirectX tab mean instant crash about at the ending of the save loading.
Other than that I'm trying to get more fluidity out of Prye's movement.

I'm using a Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Here are my specs and config: http://i57.tinypic.com/33voq4x.jpg

The refresh rate of my monitor is 75Hz, but I don't get if it's suitable to force the V-Sync in the Glide tab too and what's the difference as regards the DirectX one.

Reply 1115 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Expack3 wrote:

I just noticed dgVoodoo2 seems to enforce a 60 FPS (or monitor-based framerate) limit on all the pre-DX8 games in my collection which support it, even when "Force Vsync" isn't enabled. Is this normal behavior?

Unreal Engine based game? The culprit is in the ini file 😁 (VSync in old *NOT MODIFIED* Unreal Engine 1 games works in reverse 😁 )

Reply 1117 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kayten wrote:

Hey there! 😀
I came across this thread recently and registered some hours ago to say how useful dgVoodoo 2 is!

Hi! Thanks! 😀

Kayten wrote:
The only exception being "The Settlers 3", which doesn't like dgVoodoo 2 at all, crashing instantly at launch. Apparently it can […]
Show full quote

The only exception being "The Settlers 3", which doesn't like dgVoodoo 2 at all, crashing instantly at launch.
Apparently it can't find its gfx files anymore: "File siedler3_00.ff0000ff00ff.dat not found!"
However, actually there ARE gfx files but they're named a bit differently like "siedler3_00.f8007e01f.dat"
So somehow dgVoodoo 2 caused the game to look for "ff0000ff00ff" instead of "f8007e01f" resulting in a crash.

It seems the game wants to use a 32 bit texture format with dgVoodoo while it chooses a 16 bit one natively.
I'm going to check it, I have the game but can't install it now, I think I need a virtual machine to do that.

Blairwitcher wrote:
Hi, I'm new and finally I can enjoy again Blair Witch 3 thanks to dgVoodoo :-D I selected the Virtual 3D accelerated card but […]
Show full quote

Hi, I'm new and finally I can enjoy again Blair Witch 3 thanks to dgVoodoo 😁
I selected the Virtual 3D accelerated card but I'm fumbling with the various options to achieve a faster loading of the save, and in general of the initial loading screen that also takes 30-40 sec before finishing.

Actually I found out for sure that touching the Antialiasing (MSAA) of the DirectX tab mean instant crash about at the ending of the save loading.
Other than that I'm trying to get more fluidity out of Prye's movement.

I'm using a Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Here are my specs and config: http://i57.tinypic.com/33voq4x.jpg

The refresh rate of my monitor is 75Hz, but I don't get if it's suitable to force the V-Sync in the Glide tab too and what's the difference as regards the DirectX one.

Indeed, MSAA crashes the game but otherwise it runs fine (with and without dgvoodoo). How does it run for you natively?
vSync on the Glide tab has no effect on this game. Glide tab is relevant only when you play something through the Glide API (if you see 'dgVoodoo' as watermark then it's always DirectX, not Glide).

Expack3 wrote:

I just noticed dgVoodoo2 seems to enforce a 60 FPS (or monitor-based framerate) limit on all the pre-DX8 games in my collection which support it, even when "Force Vsync"
isn't enabled. Is this normal behavior?

If a game doesn't query the available refresh rates and just tell DX to use the default (very common case) for a given resolution then dgVoodoo defaults to 60Hz.
VSync is controlled by the games and they usually enable it. Enabling 'Force vsync' just forces it to always be enabled. The reverse way, forcing disabled vsync is not available in dgVoodoo.
Also be sure that vSync is not forced to anything in the GPU control panel because that can override this all. 😀

ZellSF wrote:

Windows 8/10 does not support 16-bit color. It is emulated. What you're seeing is that emulation, not improvements in AMD drivers.

Hmmm.... Then Microsoft is working on its own internal wrapper in Win10? Plaff... 😐

Reply 1118 of 3949, by Blairwitcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Indeed, MSAA crashes the game but otherwise it runs fine (with and without dgvoodoo). How does it run for you natively?
vSync on the Glide tab has no effect on this game. Glide tab is relevant only when you play something through the Glide API (if you see 'dgVoodoo' as watermark then it's always DirectX, not Glide).

Yes, even without dgVoodoo it ran fine, but only by not activating the 3D Hardware option, since otherwise the game got the known issue where you could just see the shadow of the character and not the model. I could have played it fine even with the Software mode, but it is only my fussiness since at the time i chose to set maximum graphics settings (for that time) on a Win98. 😜
I see, thanks for the info. Yeah I was only seeing the dgVoodoo watermark only by the way.

Reply 1119 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
If a game doesn't query the available refresh rates and just tell DX to use the default (very common case) for a given resolutio […]
Show full quote
Expack3 wrote:

I just noticed dgVoodoo2 seems to enforce a 60 FPS (or monitor-based framerate) limit on all the pre-DX8 games in my collection which support it, even when "Force Vsync"
isn't enabled. Is this normal behavior?

If a game doesn't query the available refresh rates and just tell DX to use the default (very common case) for a given resolution then dgVoodoo defaults to 60Hz.
VSync is controlled by the games and they usually enable it. Enabling 'Force vsync' just forces it to always be enabled. The reverse way, forcing disabled vsync is not available in dgVoodoo.
Also be sure that vSync is not forced to anything in the GPU control panel because that can override this all. 😀

There are some games, like SimCopter, Hades 2, and StarTopia which have an uncapped framerate when not using dgVoodoo2, which suggests they don't use Vsync by default. While the former two have issues if the framerate is not capped - SimCopter goes so far as to crash on modern systems without FPS capping - the latter has no issues whatsoever.