VOGONS

First post, by latenite_tellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey

I have a 8 bit data soft ISA midi interface card but i lost the jumper setting
would any one have them? so i can put it in my 386dx40 i am currently rebuilding
cheers
heres what it looks like

8bitmidicard1.jpeg
Filename
8bitmidicard1.jpeg
File size
290.59 KiB
Views
File comment
Pic1
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
8bit midicard2.jpg
Filename
8bit midicard2.jpg
File size
582.37 KiB
Views
File comment
Pic2
File license

Reply 2 of 17, by latenite_tellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey PeterLi thanks

i have sent an e-mail to hopefully the relevant company

i will continue to look for the jumper sheet at home

( going though things for the 4th time 🤣)

Reply 4 of 17, by latenite_tellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update

i put the card in my Pentium 200mmx build with windows 95 running took out the sound card
windows detected it as a mpu-401 compatible card at IRQ7 and base at 332-333

hooked up my sc-55mkii and ran the Duke3d setup ant tested the music i got music then if i test it again it would freeze
had a look for any conflicts Printer port was using IRQ 7 as well i changed it

i then tried running doom it didn't detected it even at the command prompt the set up would freeze
so i played around withe jumpers removing and installing it from widows 95 until it go to base of 330 and IRQ9
Duke 3d would play in the set up but freeze in the game
Tried doom again it detected it and i had music but as soon as i quit and ran it again no music

my 586 build with dos win 3.11
i couldn't work out what the base and IRQ were wouldn't detect it at all
doom wouldn't detect it

Next i tried my Pentium 60 build dos and win 3.11 took existing sound card out

In Win 3.11 Duke 3D would detect it but no play any music freeze at the test screen
In Win 3.11 Doom will freeze at the doom splash screen
If i hold shift and go straight to the command prompt
Doom will work no problems but have to turn the computer off and on to get music to work after using it again
Duke 3D will detect it and play but if you test it again the set up will freeze and say could not detect mpu-401 have to restart the computer

doom command promt working.jpg
Filename
doom command promt working.jpg
File size
690.45 KiB
Views
File comment
Working at the command line
File license

Any thoughts?
so i do have an intelligent MPU-401 but it has issues
i think i need to source a new midi interface card any one have a couple they want to sell?

Reply 5 of 17, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible that the machine is just to fast for the card? I know this is an issue with earlier sound blasters, no idea if this could also be an issue for MPU-401.
You could try to select a higher 8-bit IO recovery in the BIOS, and/or slow down the CPU by disabling the caches and underclocking if possible.
After all the card is from 1989 where the fastest CPU probably was a 386 (which was too expensive for most people, and 486 was just introduced that year).

Reply 7 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you know of any games that require protected mode and have MT-32 support superior to or instead of GM?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It wouldn't surprise me if this card is a windows-only one intended for serious work (btw is that a metronome output in the bracket?) and needs it's own driver so it works 100%

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 17, by latenite_tellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey

thanks for your reply's

idspispopd; PeterLI Originally the Card was going to going into my 386/dx40 build for older games i wasn't sure if it worked plus i lost the instruction sheet that came with it that is why i tested it in these machines i will still test in my 386 when i have finished the build (the first computer that my family owed was a Amstrad 386dx40 4 Mb ram that my old man brought he even brought a Quickshot joy stick and some games for it that was in the 1989 lucky i suppose would of cost a lot of $$$$$)

Kietopi; when i put it in one of my Windows 95 builds P200mmx as well as detecting a Mpu-401 compatible device it also detected a wave-table device for a Rockwell modem? it didn't have any resources allocated to it (IRQ Base) i do not know what it means
Plus i remember the instruction sheet didn't talk about any drivers or windows at all ( dos only?)

i will finish my 386 build and let you know i will try to source some other midi cards to

Reply 10 of 17, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if this card is a windows-only one intended for serious work (btw is that a metronome output in the bracket?) and needs it's own driver so it works 100%

If the card is really from 1989 like the copyright says this is somewhat unlikely, only Windows 2.1 was available then, 3.0 came in 1990. I don't even know if there were devices which only worked within Windows 3.x, I would assume that this only started with Windows 95.

Reply 12 of 17, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you using the parallel and serial ports (I assume you are using a serial mouse)? Consider disabling the ones you're not using. Also, are your floppy and HDD ports onboard, or on expansion card? If they are on card is it one super I/O type card or a combination of cards? Sometimes resources can be a real bear to deal with when using super I/O cards, and that coupled with the "x" factor of the card can double down on figuring out the best settings. Good luck untangling it all, as I'd love to see another midi interface added to the list.

Reply 13 of 17, by latenite_tellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update

I've partly finished my 386 Dx30/40 (turbo) build
QD-U386DX 128k Cache
1Mb Tsang labs ET4000AX
8mb Ram
260mb HDD

No sound card will ad a CT1350b i just wanted to check the midi

loaded dos 6.22 only loaded a mouse driver and Smartdrv

i put the midi card in one of the 8bit slots

I checked using some dos utilities if there are any conflicts tho i know the base is 330 i do not know what the IrQ is as the utility is saying unknown at IrQ 14 ( i thought i set it at IrQ 9)

I've used my Sc-55Mkii as cant find my audio cables for my Mk1 Mt32

So far I've tried :

Warcraft 1

Dune

Ultima serpent isle 2

Heart of china

they all worked no issues yet......... Yay so far with programs .... just with some hardware aka the MhZ Led ....cant work it out so far

Any other Games i should Test ?

Attachments

• 20160130_012327.jpg
    Filename
    20160130_012327.jpg
    File size
    598.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Ultima serpent isle 2
    File license
  • 20160130_003027.jpg
    Filename
    20160130_003027.jpg
    File size
    600.89 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Heart of China
    File license

Reply 16 of 17, by latenite_tellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried all the games except for Silpheed which i haven't installed

Jones in the Fast Lane

Gods

Gateway

Zeliard

All worked with no issues
I wounder Why it didn't work on my Pentium 60 or 586/133

Attachments

• 20160130_132757.jpeg
    Filename
    20160130_132757.jpeg
    File size
    209.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20160130_133253.jpeg
    Filename
    20160130_133253.jpeg
    File size
    253.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20160130_132516.jpeg
    Filename
    20160130_132516.jpeg
    File size
    291.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20160130_132126.jpg
    Filename
    20160130_132126.jpg
    File size
    354.64 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 17 of 17, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OMG, Jones In The Fast Lane! I used to really hate that game for some reason. I still have visions of that nappy pastel peach colored box, with those horrific low rent digital pics of the players. 😄

If you plan to do Silpheed, then try to get it with the enhanced color, correct digital speech, and of course the MT-32 music. You wont get the digital speech working until you add in the 1350b, but still worth the effort. Congrats on what looks like a great build. Nice to know that we can add a new midi card to the tiny list of intelligent MPU-401's out there.