VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bogus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, i'm new here.
How to use integration device in DOSBox?
In latest DOSBox SVN-Daum version is such option, but i do not know how to use
Needed is some driver, but i do not know how.

isapnp dos1234
Windows 95

Reply 1 of 29, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. This forum is for the official DOSBox.
2. Daum is broken
3. Windows 9x is not supported

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 29, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bogus wrote:

So nothing can be with it do?
Difficult
But this device to something is e.g mouse integration, only there no driver.

I added that device in DOSBox-X as an I/O port interface that would eventually become a way for additional software in the guest OS to talk to DOSBox, including mouse pointer integration. It would be the DOSBox-X equivalent of VirtualBox "Guest Additions". I haven't done anything with that interface so far.

Now that I think of it, I should probably add an "enable/disable" option for that integration device so that it doesn't show up unless you ask for it in dosbox.conf, until it's fully ready.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 5 of 29, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bogus wrote:

TheGreatCodeholio this device even not work
The drivers for this device are not installed Code 28
you have the drivers for such device?

DOSBox-X ISA Plug & Play reports I/O ports 28-2B as an "Integration" device for DOSBox-X.
It doesn't do anything yet, nor do I have drivers written for it.
It's meant to act as an "integration device" that future software development can use to do things like mouse pointer integration, etc.
I need to add an enable option for it in dosbox.conf in DOSBox-X so it doesn't show up in the Windows 95 control panel by default and annoy people like you who think there's something missing in their system 😀

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 7 of 29, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bogus wrote:

that is, for the time being useless?
ok

Yes, but noted.

https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/issues/159

Reply 9 of 29, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since the last post on this thread, the integration device has some function now.

It can be used to trigger keyboard and mouse events, trigger capture, and it contains an interface that can be combined with a special driver in DOSLIB to allow guest/host pointer integration to remove the need to "capture" the mouse in Windows.

Reply 10 of 29, by Bogus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mouse integration works, is driver for this device in doslib,but can be added with add hardware wizard, but what with unknown device?
is driver for this device, whether will?
in doslib there is no

Reply 11 of 29, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bogus wrote:

mouse integration works, is driver for this device in doslib,but can be added with add hardware wizard, but what with unknown device?
is driver for this device, whether will?
in doslib there is no

The source for the driver is in DOSLIB.

Reply 13 of 29, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bogus wrote:

it is pity, that is not compiled, only for mouse is compiled
what does the this device do, dos1234?

It allows the guest to read host mouse cursor position (for the mouse driver).
It also has functions to allow the guest to trigger capture functions, feed keyboard and mouse input to itself, and several other diagnostic functions.

Besides the mouse integration function, I intend for this device to aid automated testing of DOSBox-X in the future.

EDIT: It allows the guest to read host mouse cursor position ONLY when the cursor is within the DOSBox-X window. It's not a free-for-all to read the cursor at all times. If the mouse cursor is outside DOSBox-X it's none of the guest's concern.

Reply 14 of 29, by Bogus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

about mouse integration i know, but I mean an about unknown device:
dos1234
this is isa plug and play device, this is probably Dosbox-X integration device v1.0, in source code and in executable write
what is name of driver for this device?
i cannot find, for mouse not fit this driver

Reply 15 of 29, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bogus wrote:
about mouse integration i know, but I mean an about unknown device: dos1234 this is isa plug and play device, this is probably D […]
Show full quote

about mouse integration i know, but I mean an about unknown device:
dos1234
this is isa plug and play device, this is probably Dosbox-X integration device v1.0, in source code and in executable write
what is name of driver for this device?
i cannot find, for mouse not fit this driver

That ISA PnP device is the integration device. I/O ports 28-2Bh are the integration device.

Although, perhaps I shouldn't be listing it in the ISA PnP enumeration until I can provide a device.

Perhaps alongside the option to enable/disable the integration device I should add an option to list it in ISA PnP enumeration so that Windows 95 installs don't complain about it.

Reply 17 of 29, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can make windows 95 or 98 read the native filesystem of a dosbox mount will give my first born to your dark gods and bitch and bitch until dosbox upstream has something similar. If it works for cd mounts and 'dirs as cds' bonus.

It's really the only thing (besides a ramdisk/copy-on-write mount to prevent 'accidents' and a mediated shutdown of the dosbox window that shutdowns windows first, but the first i can do externally) that prevents dosbox from being a nice gaming alternative to virtualbox.

I'd actually expect most of the work for this to be a windows side driver / hacking, so i wouldn't be surprised that the dosbox code changes could be minimal. That's how it's supposed to work on virtualbox guest additions anyway. Aren't they open source too, or did Oracle went closed source with them?

Granted, i also wouldn't expect this kind of windows driver hacking to be *possible* for windows 95 or 98. Apparently these tricks only really work well and sanely on windows 2000 kernels up according to Oracle: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#guestossupport

Last edited by Serious Callers Only on 2017-12-20, 00:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 29, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would be awesome, but also a lot of work.

I could take the VirtualBox approach and tie the "shared folders" integration into the part of the Windows kernel related to network shares, I suppose.

EDIT: That would be a start.

Reply 19 of 29, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On a related note, I've discussed before the idea of mounting a folder as a CD-ROM drive. It's doable. All the emulator has to do is enumerate all the files and build a skeleton ISO 9660 / Joliet filesystem in memory that refers to the files, which should work fine as long as you don't change anything afterwards.