VOGONS

Reply 60 of 416, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, will check my MkII 😀

Btw, is Energizer the best brand to get? I'm not so sure about Maxell, and there's some chance of getting counterfeit "Sony"-branded coin batteries here, or counterfeit "Energizer" for that matter 😒

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 61 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just checked my newly arrived MK2:

WP_20140716_005_zps5c44051c.jpg

the battery started leaking from one point and there was some acid residue on the plastic holder under said point... needless to say I cleaned the area and just removed the battery all together, I don't need any settings saving 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 64 of 416, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thx for this thread, I just pulled this sucker from my SC-55:

img_4069upkeu.jpg

the one in my SC-55mkii was fine, so was the soldered one in my MU-50

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 67 of 416, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

... CR-2032 batteries ... There are Chinese sellers who have them in bulk packs on ebay for only pennies per battery. A 100 pack would probably be a good investment for almost anyone who has a lot of old hardware lying around that needs at least one of these.

Beware that much of that cheap stuff from ebay is just junk lacking even half the ~225 mAh capacity of a real CR2032 (= wil last far less).

They also love faking capacitors:

YkaiK8qy.png

HDDs:

9PfBMzzx.jpg

SSDs:

9b2baf6a_original.jpeg

and whatever can be faked.

badmojo wrote:

... What do you guys do with old batteries? I've been vaguely aware that they shouldn't be thrown into the bin, but that's exactly where I've put them all my life. I've done a bit of research and discovered that there are numerous places near where I live which accept dead batteries to be recycled, who knew?

Whatever you do, EXTREME CAUTION when there are little children around. A button battery looks like candy to them, so they swallow it, then they die.

1206CFP_CPMerves_Fg1.jpg

A tip regarding computer CMOS/RTC lithium batteries: If the system is going to spend time unplugged from the wall (and/or PSU switched off), say several months or longer, better write down/save the BIOS settings and pull out the CR2032. This will prolong battery life and prevent battery spills on the mobo.

Let the air flow!

Reply 70 of 416, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saw this thread yesterday and decided to check out my SC-155. Sure enough, the battery had started to leak slightly so I replaced it with a spare. No sign of corrosion that I can see on the holder.

To be honest, I wasn't even aware that CR-2032s did leak. It's a blessed relief that Roland, unlike Yamaha I believe, installed their batteries in a holder rather than using solder tabbed ones. That helps to protect the board and makes them a damn sight easier to change.

Reply 71 of 416, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Checked mine. No corrosion at all, kept the battery in there just for the hell of it.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 74 of 416, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Good thing I check a SC-55 I got in yesterday.

Oi mate I thought you were 'retiring from the hobby'? 🤣

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 75 of 416, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

Good thing I check a SC-55 I got in yesterday.

Oi mate I thought you were 'retiring from the hobby'? 🤣

When you can't quit, isn't it known as an addiction?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 77 of 416, by loktar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bat.jpg
Filename
bat.jpg
File size
2.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Thanks to this thread I just checked one I got over the weekend as well. No damage done fortunately.

Reply 78 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

excellent, this one seems pretty bad - glad you caught it on time

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 79 of 416, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know Phil has already mentioned that the Roland SC-55st dosnt have an internal battery. I thought that it would be a good idea to post an image of the inside of the SC-55st in case someone needs to see for them selves to be convinced. 😀

This is how my bargain £16 ST-55st from Ebay looks inside, it looks alot more bullet proof than the models with displays, buttons and other fancy features! 😀

Roland SC-55st.JPG
Filename
Roland SC-55st.JPG
File size
4.27 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.