I made retronn.de

Topic actions

First post, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Greetings fellow Vogons,

I started in January 2016 http://retronn.de.

It is a website that covers old hardware tech. I am still working on it, but some things are already working:
- there is a hardware gallery with pictures, tech data and driver/manual links that I am currently migrating from my old website.
- there is a overview of my complete oldschool PCs that I also use to run demos for capturing
- I started translating some sound card configuration guides that were previously in German. The Sound Blaster Config guide is nearly finished.
- there will be some scans from old adverts for hardware/software.
- there is a minimalist but working video menu for the captured stuff that works with Chrome natively. Check it out quality is much better than YouTube.
- there is some info and pictures from events where I setup old hardware.
and also working is a page where I can do live streaming directly from old hardware systems or anything else.

On my current to do list:
Finish the migration of the old hardware gallery and update further with new stuff that waits to be added. Also some photos need to be taken again with better quality. Add some more sound card config guides, for GUS PnP, Soundscape, miroSound, Maxi Sound Dynamic3D a.s.o.
I should add also some non-PC systems.

I will keep you posted.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 1 of 36, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome from the land of Firefox, it hates your videos. 😁

Awesome job! 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 36, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

interesting, will take a good look later - thanks for sharing it!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update:
Finished moving the old Gallery, overall 521 entries now.
Added some scans of a marketing brochure by HP for Tape and Disk Accessories
Added some pictures from some Events/Meetings.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 6 of 36, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you! Nice site, I'll be checking it out. Always good to have more retro resources on the web 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added some FAQ for Dream based sound cards (under Guides/Sound Card Configs). If someone has more questions I can add them (hopefully the answer too 😉 ).

In the gallery I updated and added some photos on existing hardware. (Etherlink III, AVM ISDN card...)
Some new cards are still in the queue to be added.

SIDSpielers streaming page uses now KiwiIRC instead of Twitch for chat.

Youtube Channel

Reply 9 of 36, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Awesome job! 😀

I can confirm that it does not like Firefox, too.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

Awesome job! 😀

I can confirm that it does not like Firefox, too.

Yes and it doesn't looks like Firefox is going to support the MKV container any time soon. A workaround is going to the ftp ftp://retronn.de/videos/ and either download the file or use VLC. VLC is able to stream it directly if you open the ftp:// link.

Another way for me would be to use the same player I use for the live streams to playback the video directly on a webpage. But it would drop back to flash with firefox and a lot of people do not like this. Actually I also got a lot of requests to change the live stream to HTML5 - but tests showed that this is not working reliably yet. You may have noticed that most of the other platforms offering live streams also still use flash (for a reason).

Youtube Channel

Reply 11 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another small update:

Added DVI2PCIe tool page with download and description.
Added more hardware to gallery, a few Highlights are
Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM VLB
MPEG-1 module for the Diamond Stealth 64 (I am still in the progress in scanning the box content)
NexGen VLB/ISA Mainboard

Added The Diamond Multimedia Bible (in german, but it's mostly a tech overview so you will get it)

Youtube Channel

Reply 12 of 36, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the stuff !
Just like here at vogons', I count your write-ups on retronn.de among the most helpful retro guides. Your posts made me respect some hardware I had discarded before - I could not use the Gravis and Terratec EWS cards to their full potential without your help. So, keep up the good work if you have the time 😀

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 13 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the feedback.
In a few cases it is even a bit for myself, to look things up later again. Currently I am working a bit on the gallery to add scans of boxes/manuals to some cards.
I also want to add a few more descriptions of systems, but you know... time...

Youtube Channel

Reply 14 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did only a few small updates recently. There are a few new parts in the gallery, there is a page for my IBM PS/2 machine: http://retronn.de/imports/ibm_pc.html
and I migrated the page with the chip images of the CBM chips such as VIC2 and SID 6581: http://retronn.de/imports/commodore_chips.html

Youtube Channel

Reply 15 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will have three tables with three DOS PCs at Gamescom 2016. If you are also there you can find me in Hall 10.2. The tables are right behind Chris Huelsbecks/Factor 5. I will have primarily Commander Keen, Jazz JackRabbit and Tyrian running.

Youtube Channel

Reply 16 of 36, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

I will have three tables with three DOS PCs at Gamescom 2016. If you are also there you can find me in Hall 10.2. The tables are right behind Chris Huelsbecks/Factor 5. I will have primarily Commander Keen, Jazz JackRabbit and Tyrian running.

What an awesome idea! Do you have a huge collection?

Reply 17 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are collectors with much more stuff. A limitation here is space. If you live in a country where you can easily buy a house and dedicate a floor for for your hobby it is a lot easier to store things and sort out later.

Youtube Channel

Reply 18 of 36, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

That is awesome!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 19 of 36, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

There are collectors with much more stuff. A limitation here is space. If you live in a country where you can easily buy a house and dedicate a floor for for your hobby it is a lot easier to store things and sort out later.

I hear you! Sorting is the main retro thing I have been doing for the past year.
And I have very very limited space. I guess a lot of things will have to go soon.