Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

First post, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last edited by kithylin on 2017-12-13, 20:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2069, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good idea to start this thread 😀
I expect huge box full of HW to arrive tomorrow - some of it should fit the modern hardware criteria. I'll post some photos later. 🤣

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 2 of 2069, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I'll probably be abusing this thread for the next few months.

@Kithylin; Is the underside plated or bare copper? I remember when I bought mine (Some ancient XSPC model) there was a fad for making copper blocks and coating them with acetal/nickel which hindered their efficiency and it was a bitch to machine it off.

Not looking forward to finding the water cooling for my new Xeon box, there's not really anywhere to mount the radiators and all the parts have changed. I seriously doubt they make reservoir/pump units like the old XSPC 750 anymore either. On the up-side, my GPU will be passive, so I see little need to invest in cooling for that this time around. And I must use a tubing diameter that won't disappear like my current, irreparable setup. I can't really pass much comment on your block a they are all basically the same, except those crappy ones that are just an empty space the water flows in and out of. Judging to the placement of the threaded holes, yours seems to direct the water around a bit and should be fairly effective.

I'll re-post this I guess because I'm really proud that I finally own one - even though it's not here yet.
13-182-831-TS?$S640W$

SuperMicro X10SAE for my upcoming Xeon E3 machine. Image is clickable for the official page.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3 of 2069, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About time 🤣, scored a 5970 last month for like $30 shipped along with a few other goodies like the 4870 X2 for $25 that were sold as doa. Fixed the 4870 X2 today only to find that Win 10 had no support (wtf).

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 2069, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a purchase I did today, but it's relevant to this thread and is my latest modern hardware purchase. Prior to this, I picked up a Sandy Bridge Core i3 (can't remember the exact model number off the top of my head) and 8GB worth of DDR3 RAM (of which I installed 6GB into a Lenovo ThinkCentre running on a Core 2 Duo E8400) which had been pulled from a dead Micro ATX Socket 1155 motherboard. So until I got a motherboard, I couldn't do anything with this CPU or RAM. And now, I do. I found, in a box of used motherboards at a small shop I regularly frequent that sells old computer parts on the cheap, an ASUS P8H61-M LX3 R2.0 Micro ATX motherboard. There were a few bent pins in the socket, which I fixed, the VGA port is slightly damaged (one screw post is broken) and the original CMOS battery looked quite oxidized. Despite that, the motherboard actually works!

Now I need to figure out what to do with this thing. Go ahead and set this up with an Ivy Bridge Core i7 (the board is compatible), stick with the current Sandy Bridge Core i3 or get an Ivy Bridge Core i5? I would like to build a new gaming machine based around a Skylake Core i7, so a setup with this board certainly wouldn't properly substitute a Skylake Core i7 setup with a motherboard that has a Z170 chipset, 32GB of DDR4 RAM and a GeForce GTX980Ti (this is what I currently have in mind for my new setup - current one is an HP Workstation Z420 with a Xeon E5-1603, 16GB of DDR3 RAM and a GeForce GTX570 graphics card), but I would still like to make this computer worth something (I find the Core i3 somewhat underpowered and I really don't want to use a dual-core CPU for a modern build of any kind).

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 6 of 2069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My phone died a horribly death of drowning, so I bought a Moto G3 (2015) in green, as they had one on discount.
The normal price here in Denmark is 190 to 205 US Dollars. I got mine at 140. Green was the only color left. 🙁
Unlocked and without user subscription. I can simply not live without a phone, and it looks like an ok phone.
I will get it in the mail, one of the following days.

Harga-Motorola-Moto-G-3rd-Gen.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 2069, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I rarely buy any "new" hardware (because it's not cheap 😜) but I did get another WD 1TB EZEX last weekend, and a friend of mine also got one as he decided to move his old rig to my place so it can be re-used as a LAN rig here. It's spend 3 years gathering dust and as he moved the original harddrive to his new i7, his Q6600 didn't have one.

Should be great for BF2 and other semi-modern games and this way I don't have to be worried again whenever I walk back from the kitchen and see him closing all these strange browser windows with that unfresh stuff he likes to watch while he's using one of my own rigs 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 2069, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While I'm certainly a sucker for the aesthetics of a watercooled PC, I just can't rationalise the economics or the effort vs the outcome!

Good on you for going all out with it though, I can't wait to see the result!

My latest new thing is a bit more tame, I picked up the latest Raspberry Pi model. Now with onboard WiFi and Bluetooth!

lBQiL0yh.jpg

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12 of 2069, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good luck to you! Post pics as you go!!! 😁

kithylin wrote:

Also, do they make rasberry pi's with two onboard network ports at all? Like is that a thing?

Not actual Raspberry Pi, but if what you want is something suitable for a pfSense/NAT router type application then I know there are are other SBC's with dual ethernet out there. It's not something I've looked in to though.

You could always just add a USB ethernet adaptor! 😉

Reply 13 of 2069, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The one big downside to a Pi is the inferior network solution. Dedicated router platforms with custom/customizable firmware are almost always better.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 2069, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was a BIG disapointment, to know that they included Bluetooth and wifi, instead of SATA on the Pi-3.
At least there are some other machines like the Bannana-Pi. Still... Raspberry-Pi with SATA.
I would not mind that a bit.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15 of 2069, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

It was a BIG disapointment, to know that they included Bluetooth and wifi, instead of SATA on the Pi-3.
At least there are some other machines like the Bannana-Pi. Still... Raspberry-Pi with SATA.
I would not mind that a bit.

SATA is overkill though, for the amount of CPU grunt on offer. USB 2.0 is heaps fast enough. Same with the ethernet.

Using the RasPi as a NAS is a neat low-cost project, but it's not the right tool for the job.

Reply 16 of 2069, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would normally post this in the bought retro junk thread as its too slow to be useful for anything else than a Windows XP DX9 box but perhaps this thread is a better fit.

Asus HD4870 1GB, ~10 euro (bid) + ~5 euro local shipping.

HD4870_1G_1.JPG
Filename
HD4870_1G_1.JPG
File size
4.31 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
HD4870_1G_2.JPG
Filename
HD4870_1G_2.JPG
File size
4.23 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 18 of 2069, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Looks great.. a little dusty though. I still have one of my HD4890's in the other room in there. […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:
I would normally post this in the bought retro junk thread as its too slow to be useful for anything else than a Windows XP DX9 […]
Show full quote

I would normally post this in the bought retro junk thread as its too slow to be useful for anything else than a Windows XP DX9 box but perhaps this thread is a better fit.

Asus HD4870 1GB, ~10 euro (bid) + ~5 euro local shipping.

HD4870_1G_1.JPG
HD4870_1G_2.JPG

Looks great.. a little dusty though. I still have one of my HD4890's in the other room in there.

By the way, the AMD 10-5 driver was the last driver to have the highest performance optimizations for the HD 4xxx series. Starting the next one up right after that, amd started gradually decreasing performance over the next few drivers.

There's a version of 10-5 for almost every OS too. XP (32 & 64), Vista (32 & 64), Win7 (32 & 64).

Yea I also noticed the dust but Im actually glad the seller diddnt try to clean the card. I have read about people using their vacuum cleaners... Sometime far in the future I will clean the heatsink properly.

I only use my boxed cards for benching if I do not have any unboxed ones of the same model.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 19 of 2069, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16814202173 bought one of these for a bday present for my sister today. Her Christmas present was a new EVGA 430watt psu to replace her Dell 300, next up she is going to buy a Phenom ii 965 and she should be able to play Fallout4 pretty well. Had a pair of 1gb sticks of DDR3 laying around to kick her up to 6gb so that should help as well.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1