Reply 80 of 192, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wow, great!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 82 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

That's excellent, thank you!

No problem. Let me know how you fair with it!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 84 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might as well get a Pi 3 at this point. The Pi 2 hasn't had a price cut yet. If history is an indication, it'll be a few months before that happens.

Either way, I think the image should be fine on a Cortex A53. Using the A7 code generator and targeting VFP4 and NEON should work, although I obviously haven't tested it yet.

Reply 85 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a working GPIO driven LCD for SYSEX messages.
Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Attachments

• IMG_20160310_180737.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20160310_180737.jpg
    File size
    388.2 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    See you later, Detective Bonds!
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20160310_181029.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20160310_181029.jpg
    File size
    533.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Pi 2 and dual row LCD on my entertainment rack
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 87 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks. Next step is an intelligent mode MPU401. Difficult to do on my discretionary budget. Prices these days are enough to stand my hair on end. With either the MPU-401AT or MPU-IPC-T + BOB combos running in excess of $300 online, HardMPU looks like what I'll be looking at by default.

Reply 88 of 192, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...or one of keropi's MusicQuest clones, if he gets around to making more of them (I grabbed one when they were hot 🤣).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 90 of 192, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

...or one of keropi's MusicQuest clones, if he gets around to making more of them (I grabbed one when they were hot 🤣).

I'll just leave these '80s mcus here 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

15rHtqj.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 91 of 192, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
stamasd wrote:

I'll just leave these '80s mcus here 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

You were wondering if there's a market for these. Well there you go.
With your modern clones (or HardMPU), and an external MT32 emulator box using modern hardware we can bypass the vintage used market altogether.

(edit) Hmm now I wonder if I can interface a RPi zero to the ISA bus and make it run SoftMPU... Yes I know it uses 3.3V logic, but that's not something that can't be overcome with some level translators (such as http://www.ti.com/product/sn74alvc164245 ).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 92 of 192, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fascinating project. I personally tried using an old windows laptop as an external midi device a few years back when I had massive issues with mt32emu (or was it timidity?) in linux. Building a little MT-32 clone with a raspberry pi sounds like precisely what I had hoped to achieve back then!

Reply 93 of 192, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This project has moved away a little from my original idea of using an old notebook 🤣

I'm wondering if anyone is willing and able to work on a Windows front-end of some sort? Basically a program that easily configures everything and let's you switch between Munt and VirtualMidiSynth.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 94 of 192, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it moved to the best direction since a pi is so small and full of wonder 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 95 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

I think it moved to the best direction since a pi is so small and full of wonder 😁

They've got a marketing issue. Big pies are better than small pies, but small pis are better than big pis. Maybe they should rename them a Raspberry Tart?

In that case, small is fine because: [1] you can always eat more and [2] having them bite sized is so convenient!

Reply 96 of 192, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

The thing that got me to use a notebook for this project is that I have, over the years, accumulated quite a few notebooks that are just lying around doing nothing.

I like when old devices get a purpose again. Sure the Pi is cheap and all of that, but it's another device that people buy and the cycle continues.

I'm wondering if the Windows version can also be optimized so it runs on netbooks or other slow notebooks.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 97 of 192, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

My feeling is that a Windows version just has way too much overhead (Windows itself) to be very useful.
A pi is great for that, because it is mostly "plug and play" once you have it setup. Imagine how long you have to wait for a Windows to boot up just for that compared to a pi 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 98 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know using a netbook on the Linux side, it was a similar problem of forcing the compiler to generate code for the SSE registers. This might be required on the Windows side (and could certainly be done), but I haven't tested it.

FWIW, on my Atom N270 based netbook using the following parameters achieved the performance I desired with Munt.

CCFLAGS="-Ofast -march=pentium -msse3 -mmmx -mssse3 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse"
CXXFLAGS="-Ofast -march=pentium -msse3 -mmmx -mssse3 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse"

Reply 99 of 192, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I keep thinking about it. I wonder if a RPi has enough oomph to emulate both the MPU-401 (HardMPU-like) and the MT32 on the same board. That would go a long way toward simplifying the hardware needed.

Or if not the RPi then maybe one of the Allwinner boards we were talking about in the other thread.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O