VOGONS

First post, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

W00!
Extract the archive to the Alone in the Dark directory.

On behalf of Yaz0r, which is one of the founders of ScummVM and a cool dude, I announce Free in the Dark has reached it's first beta release!

Free in the Dark is a result of reverse engineering of Alone in the Dark 1, and it was made as a side project of TwinEngine (Little Big Adventure 1 recode). It is open source of course, and for now it can run on a 800x600 resolution.

It is still buggy, but it works! If you have a problem running it, post your problem here and I'll see if I can help.

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crap, game just crashes back to desktop for me. See the logo...mabye the car going down the dirt road, then back to desktop. 🙁

Thanks for pointing out the project tho. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 11, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You need to press Enter once while you see the logo. Then only press Enter again when the dude is already inside the castle.
Then it doesn't crash (for me at least).

Reply 5 of 11, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a recode of the game. That means, you can now edit the game's code freely, and use it's engine or bits of it to make your own (non-profit) games or anything else.
That also means you can play the game on Linux, and in unlimited resolution.

In other words, this is like ScummVM, but for AITD.

Reply 8 of 11, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know Infogrames had released the AITD code. 😎

They didn't.
Yaz0r asked Frederick Raynal (the creator) a permission to reverse engineer the game, and Fred gave it to him. (at least that's what happened with Twin-E).

So basically, he made an amazing thing by converting the game's binary into a source code.

Reply 10 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They didn't.
Yaz0r asked Frederick Raynal (the creator) a permission to reverse engineer the game, and Fred gave it to him. (at least that's what happened with Twin-E).

An awesome work I must say. 😎