Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 1081 of 2397, by milicognj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I understand that Dosbox-X supports CD emulation usable for Windows 95. Is there some guideline to do this? Is this possible only with image (ISO) or it is possible to mount physical or emulated CD-ROM from host OS and then to be detectable by Windows. I know about mount and imgmount, but I just didn't succeed to make CD-ROM work in windows?

If mount does not work with windows I am interested in developing it but Would be good if I would get some hints where to start.

Regards,
Ognjen

Reply 1083 of 2397, by avx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update on what I hear on latest release as things have changed a bit. (dosbox-x-windows-201602190219.zip win32 on w7)

I notice the glitch in One must fall and Star Control 2 intro (heard when the blue nebula appears, I'm using .bat with /g:BIOS /s:GRAVIS to launch) has changed in pitch to lower. Less like digital glitch more like a "blip" sound at maybe 500-1000 hz. Given it changed in both games it has to be same problem but the frequency the glitch occurs is different in each and in both cases it's quickly masked or somehow goes away as the music gets more louder or plays longer.

The january build had some gus voice regression in Settlers 1 but that appears to work again in february build.

I don't know in which dosbox builds the "char9=false" is actually doing something besides dosbox-x, but if that is in the dosbox.conf then when Star Control 2 when launched as above, 'interlace line-like' garbage appears on the screen instead of game graphics appearing against clear black background like normally. IDK if this is expected behavior or not.

The "welcome to dosbox-x" prints a date that is old. Might want to remove the date if it's not being updated as it's a bit confusing.

Reply 1084 of 2397, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using the 2016-03-06 revision of DOSBox-X (build from EmuCR), and it seems that it maintains two distinct sets of configurations while respecting only one of them.

Mainline supports checking and changing configuration settings on the fly from the DOSBox prompt, which is what I've gotten used to. DOSBox-X at first glance seems to support this, too. I can, for example, type cycles and get a response like 3000 or auto, depending on what I've set in the config file. I can seemingly change this value, too, same as in mainline builds. For example, typing cycles 10000 or cycles=10000, and then running cycles again, will now return 10000, implying that the cycles value has been changed. However, both the title bar and the Set Cycles dialogue will still show the previous setting, and DOSBox-X is actually still running with the old setting. config -set "cpu cycles=10000" has the same effect. So it seems like there's a complete second set of the configuration kept track of somewhere, that I can modify with prompt commands, but that isn't actually used by DOSBox-X.

On a potentially related note, actually changing the value from the Set Cycles dialogue currently doesn't work for me either. As soon as I confirm the dialogue with the OK button, dosbox-x.exe crashes with an exception. This doesn't happen for any of the other configuration dialogues, but it doesn't seem to be related to on-the-fly changing of cycles either because the Ctrl+F11 and Ctrl+F12 shortcuts still work fine.

Reply 1085 of 2397, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Dosbox-X programmer(s): pitch for ps1 audiocard emulation is wrong, we already fixed that a long ago in Ykhwong's build. This was due to the fact Ps1 using most code taken from tandy emulator, but Ps1 audiocard hardware is slightly different. A kind friend shared card's datasheet some time ago in the ps1 audiocard main topic and we had confirmation of that. Jmk (original ps1 audiocard coder) managed to fix that, here is how to do it:

Jmk wrote:
Judging by what I've read in that technical document, it looks like the sound chip is fed by a 4 Mhz clock instead of a ~3.5 Mhz […]
Show full quote

Judging by what I've read in that technical document, it looks like the sound chip is fed by a 4 Mhz clock instead of a ~3.5 Mhz clock.

So, there's a line in ps1_sound.cpp that looks like this:
SN76496Reset( &ps1.sn, 3579545, sample_rate );

Instead, it should look like this:
SN76496Reset( &ps1.sn, 4000000, sample_rate );

That should fix it! Mind you, that was with the old code (it was 0.72 I worked with) which may have been updated since, but the same principle applies.

Bug #2: Intersound MDO is not working in Asterix operation getafix for some odd reason. It works perfectly with other Coktel games like oliver & company, No Exit, Gobliins 2...

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1087 of 2397, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

I'got Windows 98 and 3DFX emulation working with Metal Gear Solid 1 in the latest Windows DOSBox-X release.

It works but I've got 1 frame per second. 😒

I have a CPU which is fine for most games, both recent and no so recent : Intel Pentium CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz (dual core)

And with that a MSI GTX 950 OC GPU.

Even if I realize that a i5 ou i7 might give me better performances for this use case, I wonder if I missed something.

My settings include "cycles=max, output=opengl, aspect=false, scaler=normal2x, voodoo=opengl, pci=true, machine=svga_s3, memsize=256, vmem=8, and cputype=pentium_mmx, and int13fakev86io=true" for 32-bit access to the IDE controllers for Windows 98, but maybe I missed something obvious to make the emulation faster ? I mean not just for this game, but in general ? (*)

Here is the full config : http://pastebin.com/V4DEeVm6

Thanks in advance ! 😀

(*)(as I'm aware there are other options for this game, mainly a third party patch and dgVoodoo2, but that's another topic for another thread)

Reply 1088 of 2397, by avx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is embarrassing ... I wanted to record the GUS hardware and when I got around to doing it I can definitely hear same glitches in Star Control 2. With 1MB GUS Extreme it's even more broken that dosbox and found old usenet posts saying the same. in One Must Fall the glitch is still bit more muted and I can only pick it up once in the menu song, while in the last DosBoxX I tried it was more easy to notice multiple occurrences.

The really weird this is that I played SC2 through 5 times in 90's and given how horribly the music glitches (tried gus ace 1.0 512kb and Extreme 1024mb, floppy & gog versions w/o map bypass) in particular when you fly to "earth" and hear the planet music (glitch galore) I would have noticed that back in the day (though maybe I used stereo&eq that masked it..). So now I'm thinking, did I really play it through using ACE or what - after all most of the playthroughs were probably before ACE came out - if I played it on the GUS it was probably with a AMD K6 200 system which I don't have anymore. On HX430 233mmx and UMC 486 50dx I seem to get same glitches.

Another problem I notice on the HW is that the ULTRASND settings need to either be very specific or the computer powered off and powered on if it freezes when trying to access the GUS. I set the GUS at DMA 5,7 IRQ 11,5 as someone suggested.

Given how the glitches appear to sound exactly the same and always happen at same time (eg. start a new game several times in SC2 using the blue menu inside the game, the most reliable way I found to glitch it), it should be possible to figure out what causes it or perhaps just notice what bytes the glitch causes and have a binary/byte-filter (non-audio) that compares the incoming bytes with the known glitch sequence and filters those out. (though I'd say the New Game glitch sounds bit more aggressive than the one heard frequently at the 'earth' planet you can fly to)

Reply 1089 of 2397, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote:

Hello,

I'got Windows 98 and 3DFX emulation working with Metal Gear Solid 1 in the latest Windows DOSBox-X release.

It works but I've got 1 frame per second. 😒

For me it seems the same Problem like latest Daum-Builds... dosbox ist ignoring voodoo=opengl and uses voodoo=emu instead.

I use the Daum Build from Jan 2014 for 3DFX.
Colin Mc Rae is Playable at Core2Quad 9550S.
Have nor frame counter but it feels like 20-30 fps.

Reply 1090 of 2397, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:
Okay, I see this has something to do with my cleanup of argv[] parsing at startup mixed with some funky argv[] parsing later in […]
Show full quote
HunterZ wrote:

D-Fend Reloaded can't seem to launch games using DOSBox-X windows-v0.801.next.b1. It ends up showing "Illegal command: DOSBOX.CONF" inside of the DOSBox window. I think D-Fend Reloaded is trying to specify a custom .conf file on the command-line, but apparently DOSBox-X isn't compatible with stock DOSBox's command line parameters?

Okay, I see this has something to do with my cleanup of argv[] parsing at startup mixed with some funky argv[] parsing later in AUTOEXEC.BAT generation.

It's trying to execute "dosbox.conf" as if it's a program!

D-Fend is running DOSBox in a way that is not out of the ordinary at all:

"C:\src\dosbox-x\bin\x64\Release\dosbox-x.exe" -CONF "C:\Users\jon\AppData\Local\Temp\DOSBOX.CONF" -NOCONSOLE

This still seems to be broken as of this build: http://www.emucr.com/2016/03/dosbox-x-git-20160321.html

Reply 1093 of 2397, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to test dosbox-x against imphobia 6+, dosbox has graphics errors on all imphobia disk mags over #6. something to do with its ega mode / colours. would be interesting to test -X and see if its any different.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 1094 of 2397, by Timbi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What if DOSBox-X could change it's way to be more like pure emulator, without DOSBOX console and only with configuration file where user can mount image drives?
I know, maybe it's crazy, but maybe this could allow DOSBox-X to be more elastic for the compatibility support?

Some issues I have found with last working build and config: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id= … 645209504561112 The same thing with new SVN build from 10 April

Reply 1095 of 2397, by avx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Timbi wrote:

What if DOSBox-X could change it's way to be more like pure emulator, without DOSBOX console and only with configuration file where user can mount image drives?
I know, maybe it's crazy, but maybe this could allow DOSBox-X to be more elastic for the compatibility support?

Some issues I have found with last working build and config: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id= … 645209504561112 The same thing with new SVN build from 10 April

GOG uses dosbox on some games and it's pretty much like that. You can set up the same with -conf gamexyz.conf (you can have multiple -conf) in the shortcut that launches dosbox. Have the confs in the dosbox folder. The soft and images have in another folder :
\dosgames
\dosbox074
\dosboxX
or the like. depending on what the stuff is I have some things in .bat files that the .conf executes

here's example (somethings are duplicated because they might be lacking from other confs ... useful to have a diff tool if you deal with many configs)

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
@echo off
mount c ..\dosgames\
c:
#imgmount d xyz.iso -t iso
#mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl
#mount d f:\
set PROPATS=c:\GUS\PPL161
call c:\autoexec.bat
mixer sb 60:60
cd doom
doom -timedemo demo3
#exit

in the autoexec.bat (this ctrl+f4 stuff is for 0.74, newer builds have other ways too):

@REM ===== PPLT INITIALIZATION ==========
@SET PROPATS=C:\UltraS~1\
@set PROPATS=c:\GUS\PPL161
@REM ===== PPLT INITIALIZATION ENDS =====

@echo IMGMOUNT a d:\x\abc1.ima d:\x\abc2.ima d:\x\abc3.ima -t floppy
@echo ctrl+f4 to swap images during install
@echo IMGMOUNT -u a
@echo replace FAKECD with: mount d d:\g\dos\cdfolder -t cdrom
@set PATH=z:\;C:\s\;c:\bc7\bin\

mixer sb 60:60 /NOSHOW
mixer fm 40:40 /NOSHOW

(I think the mixer stuff is because the sb,fm were too loud with respect to gus and mt32 - munt had atleast at one point be run at lower volume but i think it was fixed)

Reply 1097 of 2397, by Timbi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
willow wrote:
willow wrote:

One question: How use dosbox-x?
In .zip there is no dosbox.conf and files like in dosbox 0.74 or dosbox daum version, only dosbox-x.exe.

up. Thanks.

Thanks in advance ! 😀

Save it as dosbox.conf and put exe and conf files to dosbox daum folder. You can have many versions with different names, but dosbox.conf when is in folder with exe, is loaded, not the conf in User folder.

Reply 1098 of 2397, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gulikoza wrote:

Can you change that host_reset() sets the device BUSY and return ready when SRST is cleared? Also, the device should be returned to default state, bochs bios will check if CHS is reset afterwards...

@TheGreatCodeholio: host_reset still returns status 0xff on host_reset_begin and 0x00 on host_reset_complete instead of IDE_STATUS_BUSY=0x80 and IDE_STATUS_DRIVE_READY=0x40. Is there any reason for that?

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 1099 of 2397, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Timbi wrote:
willow wrote:
willow wrote:

One question: How use dosbox-x?
In .zip there is no dosbox.conf and files like in dosbox 0.74 or dosbox daum version, only dosbox-x.exe.

up. Thanks.

Thanks in advance ! 😀

Save it as dosbox.conf and put exe and conf files to dosbox daum folder. You can have many versions with different names, but dosbox.conf when is in folder with exe, is loaded, not the conf in User folder.

Thanks but it doesn't work with dfend reloaded. When I use dfend reloaded, just the console launch but not the game. With dosbox0.74 or dsobox daum, it works.

There are some bugs. If I try to modify number of cycles I have this error.
mini_538003error.jpg
I use 19 february2016 version of dosbox-x