VOGONS

Installing Windows 98SE on Dell Latitude D600

Topic actions

First post, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All the drivers posted here were located through extensive google searching and vogons.org user JiaoTongNan, MSFN.org users PROBLYMCH3LD, stupendousyappi, Dell user Griz UK, Dell does not support Windows 98SE or Windows Me on this laptop model.

DISCLAIMER:

Both Windows 98SE and ME have been tested with and work with these drivers. If you encounter missing CD drivers when installing 98SE, you'll have to devise a way to get the motherboard driver into the hard drive so 98SE can install it and get the CD drive working, be it editing the hard drive externally or installing an inappropriate CD driver.

Most of the drivers make no mention of Windows 95 or Windows 98FE, I have no idea if those will work.

Dell has offered the Dell Latitude D600 with a few variations, some models of the Dell Latitude D600 may come with a Intel Pro 2200 Wireless Card instead of a TrueMobile 1300 or 1400, which is incompatible with Windows 9x. Many drivers and instructions here apply to other Dell Latitude Dxxx family models, like the D610, but Windows 9x will only work properly with the D610 models that contain an ATI X300 graphics card as there is no Windows 9x video driver for Intel GMA 900. Scroll to the very bottom to check compatibility if you're considering installing 9x on a Latitude Dxxx model.

DOWNLOAD:

http://linkshrink.net/7URrxi

Drivers included
Motherboard (Intel 855PM infinst_autol.exe infinst_enu.exe)
Video (rad_w9x_omega_2637)
Sound (Sigmatel C-Major.exe)
Ethernet (Broadcom BCM5787)
Wireless (Broadcom 43xx + boingo wireless +)
Cardbus Driver (FTS_PCCardO2Micro®SmartCardBus®Reader_2000503_1000782)
USB Driver - Windows 98SE only! (nusb33e)
VDMSound 9x (May not work, included because the sound drivers don't natively support DOS)
Windows 98SE Unofficial Service Pack (U98SESP3)

Not included
Modem
Wireless Utility (Required for WPA2): download.juniper.net/software/aaa_802/public/oac/452/OdysseyClient9x.exe
https://www.juniper.net/generate_license/ (Generate a trial key!)
http://www.juniper.net/support/pulse.html (Maybe important to know if you plan on buying it)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Included with the .zip file. I left the names of the drivers unedited so they are more recognizable.

Out of all the drivers, the broadcom wireless was the hardest to find. Thanks to PROBLYMCH3LD, we now have a driver and a wireless client program for it!

Contents of instructions.txt

Dell Latitude D600
Windows 9x
Instructions:

Read first:

If Windows 98SE ever pesters you with messages that a cab file cannot be found, go to C:/Win98 and you will most likely find the cab files needed.

Getting the Windows to restart into DOS (Modifying the resources for your hard drive and cd/dvd drive to properly work causes this!):

Defining Custom Config.sys and Autoexec.bat Files

To define custom Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files to be processed when you restart your computer using the "Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode" option, follow these steps:
If you have not restarted the computer in MS-DOS mode before, click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart The Computer In MS-DOS Mode, and then click Yes. At the command prompt that appears, type exit and then press ENTER.

Click the Start button, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
Locate the "Exit to DOS.pif" file in the Windows folder, use the right mouse button to click the file, and then click Properties on the menu that appears.

Click the Program tab, and then click Advanced.

Click Specify A New MS-DOS Configuration, define the custom Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files in the CONFIG.SYS For MS-DOS Mode and AUTOEXEC.BAT For MS-DOS Mode boxes, and then click OK.

You don't have to write anything different in the CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT files (unless you know what you are doing to make changes in DOS files), just exit out and reboot.

After, if you go to Restart in MS-DOS, it will reboot the system totally, then state "Windows 98 is now starting your MS-DOS_based program". Then you will see the usual Microsoft Windows 98 copyright and the C:\WINDOWS> prompt. If you type "exit" to exit out, it will again reboot the system from the beginning and say "Windows 98 is now restarting...". If you type "win" to exit out, then it will state "You are currently running in MS_DOS mode. Do you want to return to normal mode, to run Windows applications again [Enter=Y. Esc=No]?" Hitting Y will reboot the system again from the beginning and say "Windows 98 is now restarting...".

Intel 855PM:

Run infinst_autol.exe or infinst_enu.exe. to fix ide channel driver, go to device manager, ide channel properties, resources, uncheck automatic settings, entry in the bottom of the list, edit, go up in addresses until one with no conflicts is found (e.g. 00EF - 00FF). Restart. IDE channel should appear as generic, but it will work fine. [b]INSTALL THIS FIRST OTHERWISE THE AUDIO WON'T INSTALL PROPERLY![/b]

ATi Radeon 9000:

Install DirectX 9, unpack "ts1 vid8 radeon9000", first install display driver using device manager. Go to display properties, update driver, specify location, choose driver from list, have disk, find inf in unpacked folder. Run Control Panel setup.exe to finish. Make sure DirectX 9 is installed first otherwise it the driver won't work.

Alternatively you can install these modded video drivers if the original ones don't work, I personally recommend them over the official one.

Resource Conflict Fix/Making 9x recognize the cd/dvd drive:

Go to the Windows Start Button>Settings>Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Hard disk controllers>Intel(R) 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller (May appear as Standard PCI Controller)>Resources>Uncheck Use automatic settings>Scroll Down the Resource Type list to the very bottom>Click Input/Output Range (The very bottom one)>Make the Value go up/down until it says No devices are conflicting. The computer will restart,
after that switch the dark disk into dual channels (You may or may not need to repeat the resource fix again after that, reboot)

Sigmatel C-Major:

Chipset must be installed, install the unofficial service pack for all updates, run "sigmatel c-major.exe". You will be asked for cab files on next boot. Go to C:/Win98, that folder contains all the cab files you need.

Broadcom Ethernet:

unpack "bcm5787 9.81" or 10.24, install driver using device manager. Go to pci ethernet adapter properties, specify location, choose driver from list, have disk, find inf in unpacked folder. You will be asked for a cab file, go to C:/Win98 for the cab file. There isn't a client, but the ethernet controller will work silently.

Broadcom Wireless:

Unpack "broadcom mini pci win9x bcm49xx", use device manager to manually install driver like above. Then install "boingoinstaller" or odyssey client.

WPA2 Utility:

Windows 9x lacks its own wireless utility, leaving the user to depend on third party wireless utilities. Odyssey Client is the only known universal wireless utility that works on 98SE and ME.
Install after installing the wireless card driver, setup and then connect! Alternatively a Cardbus with WPA2 support could be used after installing the cardbus drivers for the D600.

Show last 12 lines
Cardbus: 

Copy the entire zip file to your flash drive after downloading it [b]DO NOT EXTRACT IT YET[/b] or the drivers will be corrupt! Once you copy and paste it to a folder, extract the file with 7-zip or any ZIP File program.
Install! If pestered about cab files again, go to the unzipped cardbus folder (I would recommend leaving it inside the desktop or C: for convenience) then the win98 folder inside. If that doesn't work, just go to C:/Win98
*If you experience any issues afterwards, you may need to change a resource because its conflicting.

Drivers not included:

Modem

JiaoTongNan, notsofossil

Kept for historical purposes, in case the link goes wrong!
Video driver
http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/ATI/ rad_w9x_omega_2637.exe
DirectX 9
http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm (DirectX, download DirectX9!)
Audio
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/550 … tel-AC97-Driver (Integrated Audio: Sigmatel 9750 A.K.A Audio Driver)
Ethernet
http://support.advantech.com/support/Download … Source=Download
Modded Broadcom Wifi Card Adapter for Windows 98SE (Not available else where!)
https://www.techtalk.cc/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3566
Cardbus
http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDownload.a … 24-8148E4E84361
USB
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win9 … age-drivers.php

"The setup.exe routine is sensitive; if you expand the zip files on a Win2k/xp/etc machine, it expands with such a long directory name that the file copy fails. I copied the install files into c:\card\ and ran setup.exe, and it went right in."
- stupendousyappi

Maybe helpful for wireless!
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175486-wpa2-for-windows-9x/

Last edited by JiaoTongNan on 2018-09-04, 21:23. Edited 29 times in total.

Personal Blog

Reply 2 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm choosing Windows 9x over XP for using certain applications, I don't really like to use virtual pc's. I just haven't had the best luck with virtual pc's...vmware doesn't like my computer for some reason and my other computer is too slow.

I installed Windows 98 once, ME twice and the DVD drive isn't recognized, its surely not broken though

Personal Blog

Reply 3 of 208, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never used that specific model laptop but the last time I bothered with 9x for the Radeon Mobility 9000 was with the Omega drivers: rad_w9x_omega_2637.exe

As an alternative the VBEMP drivers work well if you don't need D3D.

I attached the 98-ME Synaptic mouse drivers.

If you don't get alot of responses here then the MSFN forums would be a good bet.

Attachments

• Filename
    PRO98M.EXE
    File size
    1.42 MiB
    Downloads
    248 downloads
    File comment
    Intel 100VE NIC Drivers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    WinWDM_8_1_2.zip
    File size
    5.24 MiB
    Downloads
    274 downloads
    File comment
    Synaptic 9x drivers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 208, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I've heard the Dell Notebook System Software can fix this issue but I don't know for sure.

You can also try the Maximus Decim Native drivers
(Before loading these I'd make a copy of your windows directory)
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/43605-maximus … drivers/?page=1

I'm also wondering if as a last resort if you could just run the CD drive in 16bit mode (CDROM DOS drivers loaded).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Well I've heard the Dell Notebook System Software can fix this issue but I don't know for sure. […]
Show full quote

Well I've heard the Dell Notebook System Software can fix this issue but I don't know for sure.

You can also try the Maximus Decim Native drivers
(Before loading these I'd make a copy of your windows directory)
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/43605-maximus … drivers/?page=1

I'm also wondering if as a last resort if you could just run the CD drive in 16bit mode (CDROM DOS drivers loaded).

Can this be done in Windows ME? I tried to install the drivers meant for Win98 with kernelex's feature to fake being Win98, but I don't know if it made a difference

Personal Blog

Reply 7 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The DVD Drive is my only remaining problem besides my cardbus (Wireless Laptop Notebook Adapter) the model is Linksys Wireless-G WPC54G. After installing the utility software (Had to transfer it by flash drive since my DVD drive wouldn't work in WinME) I'm getting issues during bootup about the cardbus and cardbus bridge driver. I'm receiving a "The file 'carddrv.exe' was not found" error, I played around a bit and used the carddrv.exe file found in WinME's C:/Windows/System, but that only made me realize its the default, generic driver which doesn't work. I tried ripping the files from my installation disc for the cardbus, but telling Windows to search in there doesn't help either.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to keep the Cardbus plugged into the slot during bootup, the manual seems to tell me to (D:) and its the only way the cardbus obtains power and LEDs turn on. There's still an issue, my cardbus is preventing Windows from properly booting if kept in before boot or inserted during boot. The laptop will hang if I insert midway boot and if I insert it before booting, the Windows ME screen will load, but afterwards the screen will become completely black, with a movable cursor.

(I apologize if my grammar/spelling is really terrible, its late where I am atm)

Personal Blog

Reply 8 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two of these laptops, so I've dealt with the various headaches and annoyances of doing this several times.

I don't know why you're using an external wifi cardbus adapter; is the internal card broken?

You have to install DOS CD/DVD drivers before you install Windows 98, otherwise 98 won't detect the CD drive. This is a problem specific to this laptop, I haven't seen it pop up anywhere else.

Here is a zipped file with all of the drivers that I used. Before you install, put the contents of that zip file on a USB flash drive. Here's what I did: (NOTE: do not attempt to boot Windows 98 with your USB flash drive in the socket. This will lock up the machine, since Windows 98 is NOT compatible with the laptop's built in USB drive emulation that the BIOS installs. You can boot with the flash drive in the socket if you only boot to the DOS command prompt.)

1. Wipe your hard drive.
2. Boot up from a DOS boot disk to command prompt
3. Set up a minimal DOS install (HIMEM, EMM386, and CD/DVD drivers) You might try the infamous DOS 7.1 "master boot disk".
4. Reboot to make sure that your minimal DOS install recognizes your CD drive.
5. Reboot with your USB flash drive (with the drivers) in the socket, and use " xcopy *.* C:\STUFF /s " to copy the drivers to C:\STUFF or something.
6. Boot up to Windows 98 SE setup and install Windows 98 SE.
7. When it reboots for the third time it should have some trouble finding some files it needs. Just tell it to go to d:\win98 and it will work perfectly.
8. Install ATI video drivers. The setup utility will fail, so don't run it. Go to Device Manager and manually install the drivers using the "Have Disk" option, and the DRIVERS\9X_INF folder.
9. Install the sound drivers.
10. Install the USB drivers.
11. Install the wifi drivers. Use the install file for the ProSet utility (in the APPS folder). This will install both the drivers and the Intel ProSet utility, which makes things easy to manage. Note that Windows 98 does not support WPA or WPA2 encryption, so you'll either have to use an open network or WPS. After you install the drivers, you'll have to go to the Network section of the Control Panel and install TCP/IP for the wireless adapter, otherwise you won't get an IP address. In addition, you might want to use a static IP, it tends to work better.
12. Install KernelEx (if you need it) and any programs you use. For a browser I usually use Firefox 2.0 (any newer version has a weird hard drive usage bug) for older stuff and Opera 12 for newer stuff.

So this is what I did, maybe it will work for you and maybe it won't. I also am not sure about the built-in wifi, sometimes it's a Dell adapter and sometimes it's an Intel. Both my laptops have Intel, let's hope yours does too... I have the Dell drivers if you need those. Use a hardware info program to find out if the Intel drivers don't install properly.

So at the end of the day you'll have a working system, but with the following limitations:

-No WPA/WPA2 wifi
-Can't run most NT software (including modern HTML5-capable browsers, Opera 12 works but it's getting pretty old now)
-Wifi seems to be limited to a pretty low speed (~50-100 kbps, sometimes it does 150-200 max). When I had XP on these laptops I remember it being a lot faster.
-Only DirectX 9.0c older version is supported, but why would you need anything else for 98 anyway? 😉

You do get pretty good Sound Blaster Pro emulation in a 98 DOS box though, and with the MIDI emulation you'll have pretty good music and sound in a lot of DOS games that support digital sound effects (Wolf3D, DOOM, Quake, etc.)

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 9 of 208, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome to the boards! Looks like you've been struck by a bit of a trap for newcomers. The Windows sub forum is specifically to do with getting Windows games working. If you have questions about getting hardware working, the place to go is Marvin.

Don't worry about it at the moment. A mod will most likely move the thread when they have a chance.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm kinda new to DOS...I am currently installing 7.1. I have one issue: How do I make DOS 7.10's option mark place on the Minimal DOS system? The enter key won't change it, do I have do press a keyboard combo?

I think Windows 98 can have WPA2, there's a video on youtube and some wireless cardbus adapters contain WPA (Mine has WPA, but not sure about WPA2)

Last edited by JiaoTongNan on 2016-04-04, 20:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Personal Blog

Reply 12 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you so much! I can't thank you enough keenmaster!!! So little people know how to do this >.<

I'm getting a headache from this...I'm so new to DOS and don't really know how to install those drivers...
Why can't this stupid computer just recognize my dvd drive x_X

Am I supposed to install the add-ons? Please give me more detail about the drivers in DOS! I'm new to DOS!

Personal Blog

Reply 14 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK...
I actually haven't used the DOS 7.1 CD install disk, I just always use the floppy disk... Do you have the floppy drive module for this laptop? In that case it would be easier.
Otherwise you can do this: (somebody who knows how this disk works please demonstrate a more efficient way...) This is what I always do when installing DOS since I'm in complete control over exactly what gets installed and where. It's not very efficient though.

1. Boot with the CD, but as soon as the BIOS disappears hit F8 multiple times as fast as you can 🤣 This will bring up the DOS manual boot settings screen. Hit Shift+F5 to exit to the command prompt. You should see an A:\ or a D:\ prompt, depending on how that CD works.
2. Now you need to partition and format your hard drive. Run FDISK (this might not be in the current path; you can check around the disk. There might be two drives, A: and D:, or there might be just one. Either way, FDISK will be in the DOS or SYSTEM folder.) Now that you're in FDISK, check the hard drive partition settings. Delete all of the existing partitions. Now create a new "primary" partition with the maximum size and make it active. Now reboot the system and repeat step 1.
3. Now format the c: drive by running the command "format c:". This takes a long time.
4. Now run the command "sys a: c:". (if this doesn't work run "sys d: c:" instead.) Same thing as FDISK, it might be in the DOS or SYSTEM folder if it doesn't run automatically.
5. Now your hard drive is formatted with the bare-bones system files. Next you install the drivers you need:
6. Make a folder called DOS on the C: drive.
7. Find the DOS or SYSTEM folder on the CD. Copy the following files to the C:\DOS folder:
-HIMEM.SYS (XMS memory driver)
-EMM386.EXE (EMS memory driver)
-VIDE-CDD.SYS (CD driver, part 1)
-SHSUCDX.SYS (CD driver, part 2)
-EDIT.COM (text editor)
8. Now, using EDIT, create two files in the root of the C drive: CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. These will instruct DOS to load those drivers you copied earlier. The contents of CONFIG.SYS need to be as follows:

DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\EMM386.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IDE-CD
DOS=HIGH,UMB

The contents of AUTOEXEC.BAT are as follows:

@ECHO OFF
PATH=C:\;C:\DOS
SHSUCDX /D:?IDE-CD

That's it! Reboot your computer without the CD in the drive and the hard drive should boot up to the DOS prompt, and you should be able to read any CDs you put in by going to the D: drive.
If you want I can explain to you exactly what all of those commands above mean and what the drivers do 😁
Now you can follow the rest of my instructions above to install Windows 98.
(somebody please tell me if any of this information is wrong)

Reply 15 of 208, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows ME automatically removes TSRs and real-mode drivers in its aggressive push against DOS IIRC. What i'd do is probably try a Windows98SE Boot/startup disk and see if the Toshiba DVD-ROM driver does anything for recognition. (it does for my sony dvdrw)

keenmaster486 wrote:

Now format the c: drive by running the command "format c:". This takes a long time.

yeah no

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Windows ME automatically removes TSRs and real-mode drivers in its aggressive push against DOS IIRC.

Windows 98 SE doesn't do this. That's why I'm recommending 98 SE instead of ME. I don't know anything about ME; I've never used it. But I've installed 98 SE in this exact fashion multiple times, and it doesn't remove the CD drivers.

leileilol wrote:

keenmaster486 wrote:
Now format the c: drive by running the command "format c:". This takes a long time.

yeah no

Do you mean "it doesn't take a long time" or "that's the wrong command"?... or something else 😕

Reply 17 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
OK... I actually haven't used the DOS 7.1 CD install disk, I just always use the floppy disk... Do you have the floppy drive mod […]
Show full quote

OK...
I actually haven't used the DOS 7.1 CD install disk, I just always use the floppy disk... Do you have the floppy drive module for this laptop? In that case it would be easier.
Otherwise you can do this: (somebody who knows how this disk works please demonstrate a more efficient way...) This is what I always do when installing DOS since I'm in complete control over exactly what gets installed and where. It's not very efficient though.

1. Boot with the CD, but as soon as the BIOS disappears hit F8 multiple times as fast as you can 🤣 This will bring up the DOS manual boot settings screen. Hit Shift+F5 to exit to the command prompt. You should see an A:\ or a D:\ prompt, depending on how that CD works.
2. Now you need to partition and format your hard drive. Run FDISK (this might not be in the current path; you can check around the disk. There might be two drives, A: and D:, or there might be just one. Either way, FDISK will be in the DOS or SYSTEM folder.) Now that you're in FDISK, check the hard drive partition settings. Delete all of the existing partitions. Now create a new "primary" partition with the maximum size and make it active. Now reboot the system and repeat step 1.
3. Now format the c: drive by running the command "format c:". This takes a long time.
4. Now run the command "sys a: c:". (if this doesn't work run "sys d: c:" instead.) Same thing as FDISK, it might be in the DOS or SYSTEM folder if it doesn't run automatically.
5. Now your hard drive is formatted with the bare-bones system files. Next you install the drivers you need:
6. Make a folder called DOS on the C: drive.
7. Find the DOS or SYSTEM folder on the CD. Copy the following files to the C:\DOS folder:
-HIMEM.SYS (XMS memory driver)
-EMM386.EXE (EMS memory driver)
-VIDE-CDD.SYS (CD driver, part 1)
-SHSUCDX.SYS (CD driver, part 2)
-EDIT.COM (text editor)
8. Now, using EDIT, create two files in the root of the C drive: CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. These will instruct DOS to load those drivers you copied earlier. The contents of CONFIG.SYS need to be as follows:

DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\EMM386.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IDE-CD
DOS=HIGH,UMB

The contents of AUTOEXEC.BAT are as follows:

@ECHO OFF
PATH=C:\;C:\DOS
SHSUCDX /D:?IDE-CD

That's it! Reboot your computer without the CD in the drive and the hard drive should boot up to the DOS prompt, and you should be able to read any CDs you put in by going to the D: drive.
If you want I can explain to you exactly what all of those commands above mean and what the drivers do 😁
Now you can follow the rest of my instructions above to install Windows 98.
(somebody please tell me if any of this information is wrong)

DOS 7.1 must be different...after booting into DOS' boot option screen with f8 and then getting the to command prompt with Shift + F5, drive C: won't use fdisk, D: isn't recognized, A: isn't valid. DOS 7.1 gave me options to install add-ons during installation. I don't think any of them specifically said fdisk though. Using fdisk only says "Bad command or file name"

Would using FreeDOS make a difference? Should I use another version of DOS instead?

Personal Blog

Reply 19 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
JiaoTongNan wrote:

DOS 7.1 must be different...

Because it's not real. It's bootleg. It's fake. It's misleading.

Should I use a different version then? DOS 7.10 apparently can't do fdisk and won't recognize the DVD-RW drive (CD-RW that can only read DVD). But I'm unsure what else to use if not DOS 7.10, DOS 6.22? (No CD version), Ultimate Boot disk??? (Don't really know what that is), FreeDOS?, play with Windows ME's MS-DOS 8.0???

Last edited by JiaoTongNan on 2016-04-05, 02:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Personal Blog