Topic actions

First post, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi members 😀
I am happy to be part of your community 😀

I have always loved older PCs
Socket 7 stands out the most for me because it is so flexible! But so much work to get it optimized!

My specs so far.

K6-3+ ANZ This cpu is stable on stock voltage @600Mhz!! 😁
CPU now on 5.5x115 633Mhz I have not gotten it stable on 120fsb a bit strange because my 533 can 3dmark 4.5x130fsb
GA5AX Rev 5.2 Might want to change caps as it's still original.
Graphic cards are. TNT Ultra, MX400, FX5200 pci, 9200SE, FX5900XT(nice look with LCD), FX5950 Ultra
Drivers, have tried so many that I do not know myself :p

GTA 3 runs great peaks 120fps if you look from above :p
Serious sam runs poor 🙁
Quake 3 70fps+
Quake 1 210fps best

CPU
20160406_145804.jpg
Athlon heat sink on my mill 😁
20160321_171341.jpg
Done
20160321_180829.jpg
20160321_191827.jpg
Also note Vcc3
20160321_191816.jpg
Cards
20160415_165813.jpg
Personal best. With MX400 that responds to overclocking so I think GF2 Ultra might push it higher. (FX5950 for 3dmark 2001se 3500+ unoptimized)
20160413_232553.jpg
The case, still work in progress 😀
20160415_165647.jpg

Reply 1 of 47, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome!

Looks awesome. Very cool that you can achieve 600Mhz on your K6-3+ 😀. I love that you took the time to mill the heatsink flat too. 😀 Was it off by much?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 47, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Welcome!

Looks awesome. Very cool that you can achieve 600Mhz on your K6-3+ 😀. I love that you took the time to mill the heatsink flat too. 😀 Was it off by much?

I believe he just used the mill to remove part of the heatsink which couldn't go over the caps.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Half-Saint wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Welcome!

I believe he just used the mill to remove part of the heatsink which couldn't go over the caps.

Yes that is correct 😀
I would see it as a waste of time to lap for mobile K6 cpus 😁

This PC is giving me a super hard time with ATI cards 🙁 Hard lock

Reply 4 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys 😀
I am so stoked 😁 Fraps 1.9D works on win98 😁

Serious sam runs at 150fps when you look at the ground and drops to 20s in heavy action I think(not sure as I was enjoying the game too much)

Still lots of work to do.

I want to make an external power source for the vcc3 and hold thumbs it aids in stability for more OC 😁

Also still have to install the SSD

Reply 5 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Things are going slow :p

Got a Promise sata card. Windows 98 installs and then on reboot while still installing it says that the ssd has bad sectors 😒
And some other read errors while installing.

Reply 8 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skalabala wrote:

My new Geforce is on its way 😁 So excited!
Will keep you guys posted 😀

Welcome aboard! 😁
Yes I know I'm a bit late 🤣!

Seems you thought it out quite well, especially concerning your skills with modding heatsinks 😁

Personally I don't like cases with handles on top, as I can't stack any other cases on top of it.

Nicely done! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrau wrote:

isnt windows 98 + ssd kind of a bad idea?

Yes it seems to be a bad idea :p

Thanks guys 😀

I will be doing a volt mod on the motherboard some time so stay tuned for sparks 😵 😵
Volt mod should go as planned though, however its not the easiest thing to do.

I am getting a Geforce with DDR ram and I am actually thinking that the Geforce 2 GTS/Pro with the sdr/sgr ram will be faster?

And for the case I think I will change it for something more era correct like a full long tower so I can fit water cooling in it :p

Reply 11 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this case 😀
What do you guys think?
I think I would like something more retro with the Mhz display in front! 😊
But as we all know cases are getting scarcer by the day. And this one is in a very good condition!
20170102_113334.jpg
20170102_113313.jpg

Reply 12 of 47, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Skalabala wrote:
I got this case :) What do you guys think? I think I would like something more retro with the Mhz display in front! :blush: But […]
Show full quote

I got this case 😀
What do you guys think?
I think I would like something more retro with the Mhz display in front! 😊
But as we all know cases are getting scarcer by the day. And this one is in a very good condition!

The case looks great, barely any yellowing nor serious damage. Since its no a pre Pentium I I wouldn't use a Mhz display, its more suited for 486 and older.
Good job on the cooler mod.

I also had issues when trying to run serious sam on my PII, all my other games were np.

Reply 13 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys 😀
Got the new card 😀 Chaintech Geforce 3Ti200 with 4ns ram
This is for sure the max the CPU can handle.
Where the cpu is not holding back the gpu the fps went from 130 to 210 😵

GTA 3 is smoother
Still have allot of tweeking to do.
However I think a 64mb Geforce 2 GTS/Ti is also a good choice.

20170118_191035.jpg

Reply 17 of 47, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I loose a whole 700 point in 3dmark going from 128mb to 256mb ram.
These ALi chipsets were really rushed into production.

I wonder how the GA5AX revision H does with 256mb.
Any idea if they have better memory bandwidth?

Reply 18 of 47, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same dilema and I settled on 128MB. My Epox EP58 MVP3C-M rev 0.8 + regular AMD K6-2, can only cache 128MB RAM so any ammount higher will inccur a perfomance penalty.

Back in the day I'm sure that who bought K6-2 didnt have the money to buy even 128MB not to mention more.

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/amd-k6-2-vs-k … -vs-k6-iii.html

Try another motherboard and tell us the results 😀

L.E. - I saw that you have a K6-III+ so in theory you shouldnt have a problem 256MB vs 128MB.Maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed some light on the situation.

Reply 19 of 47, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From Phil's benchmarks, it looks like the K6-III+ will lose a tiny bit of performance when going beyond 128MB of RAM, but the impact will be much less than for previous K6 variants due to the onboard L2. (You'll still lose a lot of the benefit from the L3, but due to the onboard L2, that hurts far less.) I'll run a few more tests myself once I have some more time, but my read on it is that with a K6-III+, there is a tiny but consistent and measurable decline in performance when exceeding 128MB. It will not be enough of a hit to take any game from playable to unplayable, though, while not having enough RAM could do that.

The real question, then, is whether you frequently end up swapping with 128MB. If so, you'll lose a lot more from swap-thrashing than from the cache issue, especially on a K6-III+, so go with more. (768 if you can get it and the board doesn't gag.) If not, then 128 is enough and there's no real reason to take the hit. Kinda depends on what you're trying to do.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.