VOGONS

MSDOS 6 Networking.

Topic actions

First post, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI all,

I want to ask, is there a guide to configure and enable Networking in DOS(IPX)?

I own a classic Warcraft 2 DOS version and Mortal Kombat 3, and the multiplayer is only only Serial-Cable or IPX connection.
I have 2 old PC running MSDOS 6, so I am curious, how do I configure/run IPX multiplayer?

I do own a compatible Intel Network Pro100 Server, which has DOS drivers in the CD.
But I have no experience to configure/setup it in MSDOS environment.

and the CD do not have "setup" files to install it.

So does anybody know how to run and configure and assign IPX for 2 PC?
Appreciate your help on this. (No DOSBOX please... pure DOS)

Reply 1 of 33, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Novell DOS can do that. But I also remember, we managed to load Novell DOS TSRs on regular dos (6.22) to play Doom II and Duke Nukem 3D on IPX. A far as I remember, you need to have two files from Novell DOS and your card's DOS driver loaded from your startup files. We were even using a driver that directly comes with Novell DOS (they were 8-bit NE1000 clones). Let me check when I return back to home.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:

Novell DOS can do that. But I also remember, we managed to load Novell DOS TSRs on regular dos (6.22) to play Doom II and Duke Nukem 3D on IPX. A far as I remember, you need to have two files from Novell DOS and your card's DOS driver loaded from your startup files. We were even using a driver that directly comes with Novell DOS (they were 8-bit NE1000 clones). Let me check when I return back to home.

Great! I am looking forward for your disk. 😀 Upload to dropbox or something.. 😀

Reply 4 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

You need to look into ODI drivers (or the packet to ODI shim) plus the other layers of the IPX stack. See below.
http://freedos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php … er_installation

errmm... I never use nor install FreeDOS before. Does this IPX stacks from FreeDOS implies to even MS-DOS 622?
I just freshly install MSDOS 6.22 and windows 3.11.
Im trying to figure out how to get networking in DOS working, for my games that support IPX.

I followed Phil's Computer LAB on basic FTP for TCP/IP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgATAo9WVHs
and able to copy games over FTP via TCP-IP! 😀

But instead of TCP, I wanted IPX to work, but i do not know how or what to do. 🙁
Any Disk Setup or installation that I require?
Sorry, I am total noob about DOS Networking. My era of networking, started on Win95 (GUI and mouse). So, this is my first attempt to make it work on DOS.
Do you want to look at my config.sys and autoexec.bat?

Reply 5 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOS drivers, including those discussed in the article above, are generally interchangeable within reason. The information regarding IPX applies to all DOS versions (except maybe Caldera, as they sometimes built such things in). In fact, drivers were generally created for MS-DOS and used in compatible versions such as PC-DOS or FreeDOS. This includes sound, network, and VESA graphics drivers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

DOS drivers, including those discussed in the article above, are generally interchangeable within reason. The information regarding IPX applies to all DOS versions (except maybe Caldera, as they sometimes built such things in). In fact, drivers were generally created for MS-DOS and used in compatible versions such as PC-DOS or FreeDOS. This includes sound, network, and VESA graphics drivers.

Oh okay... so they are somewhat similiar...
I do have the original Intel CD that came with my network card...
Also, this network card is auto-detected by Win95, so I am quite sure this card is supported.

What do I need to do to set this up? The cd-rom do not have setup.exe to start the installation for DOS... 🙁

Reply 7 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does your driver disk have an ODI directory? If so, have a look for documentation there.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 33, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Panties wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Check your messages 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 9 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:
Panties wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Check your messages 🤣

WOW! I got your message! THANKS MATE! I will give it a try once I got back home! 😀

Reply 10 of 33, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to make it nice and simple as you didn't say what the second PC's network card was you need to load 3 drivers in this order.
lsl.com (Use same version on all PC's)
<network card specific ODI driver>
ipxodi.com (Use same version on all PC's)

All 3 can found in the ODI folder in the driver below for your intel card
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/489 … rt-PRODOS2-EXE-

So you can use lsl and ipxodi from here on your other PC's, You will still need to find the other cards specific ODI driver though.
Also this will only give you the basics for IPX gaming, No file sharing or other "advanced" networking features but you have your FTP setup for that anyway

Reply 12 of 33, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 33, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Panties wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Check your messages 🤣

WOW! I got your message! THANKS MATE! I will give it a try once I got back home! 😀

No problem at all 😊 . Did it work?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 14 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:
Panties wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Check your messages 🤣

Sorry it's been taking a while. I will update you asap. Been busy with family needs. Hand in there.. &)

Reply 16 of 33, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There should also be a file called net.cfg on every PC.

And inside this file the frame type must be the same "Ethernet 802.3" or "Ethernet II" or something, didn't remember exactly.

Just remember that file gave me Problems when setting up private LANs under Dos 6.22.

Reply 17 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:
Panties wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Check your messages 🤣

Well... It did not work, BUT.... your net.bat give me clues to the files that I need....
I found 3 files for DOS from my INTEL CD.. and using your net.bat, it work! 😀 Thanks... but...
net.cfg , you type it your own? Do I need to edit anything in net.cfg?

Reply 18 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sammy wrote:

There should also be a file called net.cfg on every PC.

And inside this file the frame type must be the same "Ethernet 802.3" or "Ethernet II" or something, didn't remember exactly.

Just remember that file gave me Problems when setting up private LANs under Dos 6.22.

okay... what must net.cfg have? @@