Common searches

Reply 21 of 50, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Why does that CAKE5DMO have 1,000 downloads 😳

Probably from folks who have been looking for CW5 for DOS for eons, and haven't found the retail version anywhere 😀

Hehe, anyhow, I was one of those downloaders -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGUrQsJ7_U 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 22 of 50, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What, no one mentioned XMIPLAY from Miles Sound System?

It needs MIDI files to be converted to XMIDI format. But the range of devices supported is awesome: from PC Speaker and 3-voice Tandy to SB Live! and Guillemot MaxiSound 64.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 23 of 50, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there is also midiplay (which exclusively uses the pc speaker), and realmidi. both can be found on the free dos website. realmidi can also convert midi to wav.

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ

Reply 24 of 50, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see that some necromancy is going on here. I will top this by going one step further using shameless necromancy self-promotion then. :)

I'd like to mention another (quite recent) MIDI player for DOS: http://dosmid.sourceforge.net/
It has very low requirements, and works with MPU-401 interfaces as well as ADLIB, SB or even RS-232 attached synths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssDGBTssUI (real hardware, 8086)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2sDxFX0w1M (DOSBox)

Reply 26 of 50, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Necroposting is frowned upon here.

True, this one's not too bad tho - three years from former most recent reply to current most recent reply.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 27 of 50, by OndrejSc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mateusz.viste wrote:

I'd like to mention another (quite recent) MIDI player for DOS: http://dosmid.sourceforge.net/
It has very low requirements, and works with MPU-401 interfaces as well as ADLIB, SB or even RS-232 attached synths.

Thank you for this, very good stuff. Works well with large files.

Reply 28 of 50, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep, DOSMid is really great - it is finally possible to play huge files under DOS 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 29 of 50, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dosmid seem nice, but I cannot get it to work with the /opl switch on a ct2760. it keep on telling me that "Error: Failed to initialize the sound device"

The player I'm using when I feel deeply retro is midier.exe who can support playlist and play modern .mid on the opl3. Making me nostalgic of the day I plug an adlib and listen to something else than a pc beeper. Even with sbmidi.exe and sbsim.com from midier I cannot get dosmid to work with the /opl switch.

Also most player dont support playlist or wildcard. I'm pretty sure it should be quite easy in a batch file to accept arguments like a player and call that player with all the file of a directory.
Could be called : allfile.bat c:\gus\playmidi.exe E:\midi\arkania\*.mid
and it would call C:\gus\playmidi.exe e:\midi\arkania\fx001.mid, then c:\gus\playmidi.exe e:\midi\arkania\fx002.mid... Catch my drift? Well... maybe something I can do, but I'm pretty sure someone have that kind of batch script already?

Reply 30 of 50, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElBrunzy wrote:

Dosmid seem nice, but I cannot get it to work with the /opl switch on a ct2760. it keep on telling me that "Error: Failed to initialize the sound device"

Hi, that's weird - I actually own a SB32 CT2760, but unfortunately can't (re)test right now, since it's temporarily in a storage box. Although I'm almost sure I did test my OPL code on it at some point.. On the other hand, why would you want to use OPL while your card comes with a really great EMU processor? :-)

Would you be willing to perform a few tests if I'd provide you with a test program? This way I could figure out why my OPL detection code doesn't see any OPL on your SB32...

Reply 31 of 50, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElBrunzy wrote:

I cannot get it to work with the /opl switch on a ct2760. it keep on telling me that "Error: Failed to initialize the sound device"

Question 1: does it fail the same way if you run DOSMID /OPL=388 (instead of DOSMID /OPL) ?

Question 2: could you please run the program from the link below, and paste here its exact output? this is a program that will try a few different variations of my OPL-detection routine. I'd be curious to know if one of them succeeds...
http://mateusz.viste.fr/temp/dosmid-oplinit/opld.exe

Reply 32 of 50, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mateusz.viste wrote:
Question 1: does it fail the same way if you run DOSMID /OPL=388 (instead of DOSMID /OPL) ? […]
Show full quote
ElBrunzy wrote:

I cannot get it to work with the /opl switch on a ct2760. it keep on telling me that "Error: Failed to initialize the sound device"

Question 1: does it fail the same way if you run DOSMID /OPL=388 (instead of DOSMID /OPL) ?

Question 2: could you please run the program from the link below, and paste here its exact output? this is a program that will try a few different variations of my OPL-detection routine. I'd be curious to know if one of them succeeds...

I would be more than happy to do that. I like how you say a "sb32 ct123" and skipping the AWE or PNP denotation as I found it was really nothing at all. I'll do your stuff ASAP, keep looking forward for my testing results. Do you have any points you want me to note as I perform the testing ? Note that the test will be done on a gx pro case with sb cohabiting a gus classic and running msdos 6.22.

Reply 33 of 50, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mateusz.viste wrote:

On the other hand, why would you want to use OPL while your card comes with a really great EMU processor? 😀

I'm sure you are bing sarcastic here. You sound like a guy that once coded opl synth. All I remember is that opl3 is 4 channels, each has operators and carriers and modifications of each. Was quite fun to code and you only send instruction to the opl to play such a note using the baseport, couldnt be simpler. What and why are you coding stuff for an opl3 synthesizer ?

Reply 34 of 50, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElBrunzy wrote:

Do you have any points you want me to note as I perform the testing ?

Not really, just the answers to my Q1 and Q2 above would be great :)

Note that the test will be done on a gx pro case with sb cohabiting a gus classic and running msdos 6.22.

Now that you mention it... Could you please confirm that other applications (games) detect your OPL and are able to play music through it? I'm just wondering whether there might be any kind of compatibility issue with the GUS... (I do not own, and never owned, a GUS, so this might be a stupid thought - I don't know this card at all).

I'm sure you are bing sarcastic here. You sound like a guy that once coded opl synth. All I remember is that opl3 is remember it had 4 channels, each has operators and carriers and modifications of each. Was quite fun to code and you only send instruction to the opl to play such a note. What and why are you coding stuff for an opl3 synthesizer ?

No, no sarcasm there at all. The OPL is a very fine chip of course, and it can play nice tunes, but I personally always regarded it as an inferior music solution to wavetable sound (given said wavetable is of sufficient quality of course). As for the "why would I code for OPL" - well, simply because it's an interesting experience, and it provides at least "something" to people that do not have true MIDI onboard. But obviously, each one has personal preferences in this area. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Reply 35 of 50, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know what ? I'll just unplug the gus classic and run your test apps. I know it's not a standard issue for opl to change baseport and I dont think the gus classic and the sb32 play well togheter when it's about the adlib implementation configuration sharing.

Of course I'll test your apps into a lab emulating the place I'll run it in production ! Test lab environement is a big word to mean mounting dosbox on a empty directory

Reply 37 of 50, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mateusz.viste wrote:

Hi mateusz.viste, I'm so sorry for the delay, I sincerely hope you forgive me. 😅
Here is your exact result as requested (might be of some interest that my cards set environements are : ULTRASND=240,7,6,7,9 and BLASTER=A220 I10 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6)

Detection #1... FAILED (-2)
Detection #2... FAILED (-2)
Detection #3... FAILED (-2)
Detection #4... DETECTED OK
Detection #5... DETECTED OK

I hope I could help you further, if I can do anything dont hesitate to ask and I'll promise to be quicker!

Reply 38 of 50, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElBrunzy wrote:

Here is your exact result as requested

Hello ElBrunzy, thank you very much, this tells me a lot! It would appear that your board doesn't like when I try reading from it while it is initializing itself. All the chips I tested do not have such problem, but evidently yours is troubled by this.

I updated my OPL code so it will leave the OPL chip alone for a few milliseconds during init time. Is there any chance you could test the debug version of DOSMid below and tell me if it detects your card all right now? (and if it detects it, does it play reasonable sounds as well?)

http://mateusz.viste.fr/temp/dosmid-vogons/

Reply 39 of 50, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mateusz.viste wrote:
ElBrunzy wrote:

Here is your exact result as requested

Hello ElBrunzy, thank you very much, this tells me a lot! It would appear that your board doesn't like when I try reading from it while it is initializing itself. All the chips I tested do not have such problem, but evidently yours is troubled by this.

I updated my OPL code so it will leave the OPL chip alone for a few milliseconds during init time. Is there any chance you could test the debug version of DOSMid below and tell me if it detects your card all right now? (and if it detects it, does it play reasonable sounds as well?)

Hey I didnt realised I was talking to the programmer of dosmid. I use your player to play .mid on dos using the awe32 and some .sbk. Do you know of any good general midi .sbk around 28mb? I havent been able to succesfully convert any .sf2 to .sbk that are this large, maybe a limitation of the .sbk format? I've even try to implement an "autoplalist" with dosmid in mind : dos 6.22 auto playlist batch

About the 0.9 version; it now detect the opl at port 388h and play a .mid if I use the "/opl" or "/opl=388" command. The 0.8 version dont work either way. On the 0.9, the music are recognizable and sound not too bad, but it look like it's missing some channels, some instruments sound like they are pitched maybe one or two octave too high and dont seem to be the right instrument, drum are mapped like they are pitched too high (much like the melodic problem but with a different result). I used midier to compare the playback and the music feel more correct. Cakewalk 5 demo on another hand is configured to use the sb pro(opl3) at base port 220h with the sbfmmi.drv and sound much like midier. If I use the adlib.drv at port 388 it tell me that it cannot find a midi interface.

This SBawe32 share a computer with a GUSclassic, but that I try to init the gus or not, it doesnt seem to change a thing. Do you think it's worth the while (and the risk) to remove completely the gus to do some more testing ? Also it seem that you are very close to enjoyable playback and maybe I describe it badly, would you want me to record some sample of your player in /opl mode ? Just tell me a .mid you know well and it will be my pleasure to do so. Thank you.