a 586/90

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 43, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

I find it amusing how I and others have owned one of these for quite some time, yet you wait until now to ask someone about the chip and motherboard.

I had waited more than a year for someone to come forward with a NexGen system to contribute to the Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison. Nobody came through.

I do plan on redoing the "486" benchmark comparison, which will include additional benchmarks, and CPUs down to the PGA-132 socket (386). This will allow for the integration of 386-to-486 upgrade chips. It would also be interesting to test some of socket 3 chips on 386 boards using those open socket 386-to-486 interposers. I will need to find a 386 board which works well with these and allows for working cache. Anyway, I was going to take the benchmarks up to the P54C-100. Does your NexGen system have a PCI slot and would you be willing to contribute when the time comes? Even better if you have a system with FPU.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 41 of 43, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

elianda - I notice that your VLB NexGen board has a turbo switch. My PCI board doesn't contain a turbo switch header, but it contains a turbo LED header. Very strange. I'm assuming turbo/de-turbo requires some keyboard combination? Do you know what it is? Is there any means to physically connect the turbo switch onto the PCI board? Do you know where the turbo header pins go?

Reply 42 of 43, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the VLB mainboard the Turbo connector is J4 (SW). I don't know if there is a specific key combination for the PCI board.
I don't have the NxPCI System Controller Databook where there might be documentation about a Turbo signalling pin.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 43 of 43, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just took at look at the NexGen Nx586 PCI Troubleshooting Book, page 8, Question Q6:

Q6: How do I connect the Turbo switch and Turbo LED in my system case to the motherboard?

A6: The PCI motherboard always runs in Turbo mode and cannot be switched to non-Turbo mode. Therefore, there is no Turbo switch connector on the motherboard. The Turbo LED from the case can be connected to the 2-pin connector labeled TURBO LED. Since the PCI motherboard only runs in Turbo mode, the Turbo LED should be illuminated when the connectors are mated. If it is not illuminated, then the connector is installed backwards and must be turned around.

That's unfortunate. I guess it was too much trouble to implement.