Common searches

Far Cry

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 389, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, 1.9.5 is broken.

I started testing with 1.7.49 because I knew from experience that it worked with other games. There might be other functional versions newer than 1.7.49 (the 64bit files I uploaded are v1.7.53 for instance) but I was too lazy to try them all and I doubt they would perform much better.

Reply 81 of 389, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1.9.50 or 1.9.5?
And it's not like performance just fractions of the original is expected by design.
I'd almost open a bug on wine tracker at this point.

Nevertheless if somebody could get these dam traces from PIX..

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 83 of 389, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Res1s7 wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:

Anyone figure why the 1.6 patch doesn't work in Windows 10 yet? I guessed it might be copy protection remnants but that'd now effect a fully patched Windows 7 and 8 too..

I'm playing using 1.6 in Windows 10 ... no probs so far apart from the usual lack of landmass reflections.

How the heck did you manage that? Even the download page for Patch 1.6 says "At the moment there is no solution to use 1.6 with Windows 10". http://www.farcrypatch16.de/faq/

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 84 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh my Goddamn Jack Carver running&gunning on the Island 😁

Wine3D fix fixes:

1) *the water shader corruption* (never seen the water correct, NEVER, no matter the drivers, the GPUs and the years gone by! I can't believe my eyes!!!!!! No more water affected by your gun model !!!!!)
2) A recent nasty AMD-only (...) bug:
Far_Cry_2016_05_22_22_59_07_097.png

Thanks!

Last edited by lowenz on 2016-05-22, 21:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 85 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BuckoA51 wrote:
Res1s7 wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:

Anyone figure why the 1.6 patch doesn't work in Windows 10 yet? I guessed it might be copy protection remnants but that'd now effect a fully patched Windows 7 and 8 too..

I'm playing using 1.6 in Windows 10 ... no probs so far apart from the usual lack of landmass reflections.

How the heck did you manage that? Even the download page for Patch 1.6 says "At the moment there is no solution to use 1.6 with Windows 10". http://www.farcrypatch16.de/faq/

Try the REAL 😁 unofficial patch: http://www.moddb.com/mods/farcry-addon-mod-fc … rcry-patch-1505

1.6 is a rip-off....

Reply 86 of 389, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding WineD3D performance, two things has a huge effect on it for Nvidia users:

1: Nvidia multi thread optimization in the Nvidia Control Panel should be off.

2: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wine\Direct3D\UseGLSL (Reg_SZ). Should be set to disabled.

Also long startup times for WineD3D on Win8+ can usually be fixed by Disable8And16BitModes compatibility mode, of course with the loss that the application can no longer see 8-bit and 16-bit color modes, but I think Far Cry doesn't mind only having 32-bit mode available.

Reply 87 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Steam FarCry 1.4+Unofficial Patch 1.505 and Wine3D Fix.
All maxed out (AF16x forced in the config file, changed impostor distance, etc.) / 1920x1080 - Radeon 7850 (1050/1200) + i3 530@3.8 GHz + Win7SP1
NO FSAA

Far_Cry_2016_05_22_23_26_44_798.png

Not bad!

Reply 88 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And for the sake of (past vs present) comparison, this is the same spot but with Far Cry 2010 (http://www.moddb.com/mods/farcry-2010 - the landmass reflections are correct in this mod, so d3d9 all the way and no need for fixes 😀 )

Far_Cry_2016_05_22_23_56_52_401.png

Reply 89 of 389, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:

I don't see 1.9.50 anywhere, only 1.9.5.

Sorry, my fault.
Of course I meant 1.7.49 VS 1.7.50.

BuckoA51 wrote:

Cmon, it's not like there's anything impossible 😉

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 90 of 389, by Res1s7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

Steam FarCry 1.4+Unofficial Patch 1.505 and Wine3D Fix.
All maxed out (AF16x forced in the config file, changed impostor distance, etc.) / 1920x1080 - Radeon 7850 (1050/1200) + i3 530@3.8 GHz + Win7SP1
NO FSAA

Frame rate ?

Reply 91 of 389, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FPS can be seen in the photos 😊

I think he's using MSI Afterburner.

EDIT: Far Cry 2010 looks awesome.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 94 of 389, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

It's only lacking of distant fog! With a bit of fog.....it could be perfect.

He never finished it either did he? I think it's only the first few levels that got re-done.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 95 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BuckoA51 wrote:
lowenz wrote:

It's only lacking of distant fog! With a bit of fog.....it could be perfect.

He never finished it either did he? I think it's only the first few levels that got re-done.

Yes 🙁

Reply 96 of 389, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was going to start a new thread, but figured my queston can be answered quickly in here 😀

Is there a benchmark built into Far Cry? I'm running the GOG.com version. I've come across conflicting information. One apparently says there is one built in (which I could not get working) and another says there is a dedicated 3rd party benchmarking utility for the game. What all do you guys do?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 98 of 389, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, the guru3d one is the 3rd party one I referenced. So when you guys compare Far Cry results, I assume it's with the guru3d utility, so results are consistent between comparisons?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 99 of 389, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Yeah, the guru3d one is the 3rd party one I referenced. So when you guys compare Far Cry results, I assume it's with the guru3d utility, so results are consistent between comparisons?

I use that tool as well.

It has presets, but I always select "custom configuration file". Point it to the config file in the Far Cry folder and the dialogue box with the settings will pop up before it runs.

For my Windows XP benchmarks I set the details to medium, no AA, no AF, but EAX sound enabled.

It does have ready to go presets as well, but not for medium and not for very high + ultra for the water.

YouTube, Facebook, Website